back to article 32nd Carry On film is go

Fans of the splendidly silly Carry On franchise will be delighted to learn that the 32nd film in the series - tentatively dubbed Carry On London - "could be in cinemas by the end of the year", according to the Beeb. The film will centre on a limo company ferrying celebrities to the Herberts - the Brit equivalent of the Oscars …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Smallbrainfield

Cor blimey guvnor.

I can hear the bodies of Sid James, Peter Butterworth and Bernard Bresslaw thrumming at high r.p.m. even as we speak.

2. The Mighty Spang
    Flame

delighted? eff off

dear god no. Vinnie Jones? Daniella Westbrook? well known comedy actors. (mind you westbrook would be funny if her nose kept falling off)

It had all gone quiet on this I hoped they had drowned the idea, but its back.

There is no way I'm going to watch this as Jones is in it. not because he won't be any good, but i refuse to watch anything with him in.

3. John A Blackley

Cast

This one's easy. Alistair Darling plays Kenneth Williams (Oh come on! The name alone is worth it!), John Prescott as Bernie Bresslaw, Gordon Brown as Sid James, Jacqui Smith as Dora Bryan, David Milliband as Charles Hawtrey, Hilary Benn as Hattie Jacques (c'mon, with that name he's a shoo-in for Hattie's part) and Ruth Kelly as Barbara Windsor.

Actors? We don't need no stinkin' actors.

4. Marvin the Martian
    Dead Vulture

"Fun storyline"? Now that would be new to the series.

Ok, maybe my civics/english culture course failed me.

Let's show all non-natives carry-on's until they break and swear allegiance (or repent and demand return to their origin --- don't let em go though).

5. Robert Harrison
    Stop

At the bottom of the barrel? Not yet

No we've cut through the base (the wood was scraped badly anyway) and are now pneumatic drilling into the concrete.

6. b
    Thumb Up

good!

suggestions for participants, either for this one (prob too late) or any future ones:

mitchell & webb

lee francis (bo selecta)

omid djalili

sean lock

dara o'brian

ed byrne

michael macintyre

john oliver (get him away from the daily and show and back 'ome!)

tim vine

messers enfield and whitehouse

catherine tate

roni ancona (she's gorgeous!)

i'm sure others can think of a few more. :)

the carry on films are not high brow, they never were meant to be, they are just a bit of harmless cinematic fun. i don't know why they ever stopped.

long live carry on!

p.s. i didn't add line breaks to that list, the register does it automatically, pff!

7. simon
    Pirate

"Vinnie Jones, Shane Ritchie and Daniella Westbrook "

The cream of briish talent here ...... Used to be a footballer , used to be redcoat, used to be a druggie .

Its not exacally pulp fiction is it ?

Pirate flag cos I wouldnt waste bandwidth on this

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

<no title>

Hope it's better than their 'recent' attempts.

9. Damian Gabriel Moran

i once heard

that the Dalai Lama laughs like Sid James

10. m

Caroline Flint - budget babe

b - agreed Roni is gorgeous but can I follow John's political thread and nominate Caroline Flint (preferably dressed as she was yesterday for the budget) ?

11. Matt Bradley
    Thumb Down

Please, please, please nooo!

I've nothing more to add. Whose stupid idea was this?

12. Shonko Kid
    Happy

'Ere, what a lovely pear!

I'm not convinced it's possible to make Carry On films anymore. The humour relies so much on cheeky silliness that just doesn't exist anymore. Columbus failed because they tried to make it contemporary, and I bet that's where this will end up (if the apparent poor casting doesn't do for it). Let's hope that the people making this have watched the previous films, and understand what made them funny and popular.

> i don't know why they ever stopped

The world moved on, and everyone died.

Well, once a week should be enough for any man!

13. The Mighty Spang

@b

Don't you remember the last one? just putting a bunch of your favorite stand ups in doesnt work... you want comic *actors*.

out of that list, mitchell & webb (well, mitchell anyway), whitehouse, and omid yeah good they could star

think less walliams & lucas... more armstrong & miller...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@Cast

Anne Widdecombe to replace Hatie Jacques :-)

15. Giles Jones Gold badge

"Carry on failling" to see the point

Bad idea, failed once already and is likely to 'Carry on failing'.

You just can't find the same quality of actors and actresses as they had back then, not to mention you have to be PC and not offend anyone's culture or religion.

16. Highlander

Hmm.m..

Limos, London, laughs?

They need Clarkson and friends from Top Gear along with their 'stretch limos' from the show. Hammond's lotus deserves a cameo on it's own.

17. Tom
    Stop

It could be called...

Carry On Wondering Why British Cinema Sucks

18. supermeerkat

suggestions for participants part 2

Jo Brand

Vic Reeves

Bob Mortimer

Frankie Boyle

Phil Jupitus

Jack Dee

Paul Merton

Fred McCaulay

And the following people should be kept away, using guns if required:

French & Saunders

Lenny Henry

Freddie Star

Joe Pasquali

Ant & Dec

Catherine Tate (talentless waste of DNA)

19. Steve
    Paris Hilton

@b Great list but..

What about Lucas & Walliams!

And Paris coz she hasn't been in the news for a while...

20. Andrew Moore
    Paris Hilton

My nominees...

Howard Moon and Vince Noir- no others need apply

"I'M OLD GREGG!!!!!!!!!"

PH because she probably has drunk Baileys from a shoe.

21. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: My nominees...

Man I'm sick of the sight of Paris.

22. Jon Whiteoak
    Thumb Down

(N)oooooooh Matron!

Oooh Noooo stop messing about...

What are these people thinking! Why don't they just try and rip us off by releasing a ridiculously overpriced boxed set, rather than give some undertalented actors* more opportunity to make complete arses of themselves.

*I use the word actors in the very losest sense of the word.

23. Thomas
    Dead Vulture

It'll probably be a hit

After all, St Trinians was popular enough.

Maybe a better headline for this story would have been "Insufferable franchise disinterred; film lacking either ambition or achievement to follow"?

The dead vulture icon, to represent the state of the British film industry.

24. supermeerkat

The comedy god that is "Ricky Gervais" needs to be there...

...and Karl Pilkington.

25. Lloyd
    Thumb Down

I seem to remember

When this was first discussed they were going to have the <sarcasm> amazingly pant wettingly funny </sarcasm> Russell Brand and the <sarcasm> voice of an angel </sarcasm> Sarah Harding in it, I wonder what happened to them? I mean Sarah Harding would fit the "stand around looking gormless with your tits hanging out" category and the mental giant that is Brand could easily fill 2 hours of dick and fart jokes, I think they'd fit in perfectly, after all, the St Trinians remake broke all box office records didn't it?

26. Tom

In a universe that thinks Ricky Gervais is funny..

it'll probably be a hit.

Mind you they could just adopt the Freinds approach and put canned laughter on Shindlers List. Save any embarrasing attempts at creative writing or acting.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Sarah Bee

Replace her with an eye-rolling icon!

In other news, what in god's name is this 'Carry On' stuff?

28. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

i thought we were...

already in a carry on film after the budget....

last one out please turn off the lights.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ricky Gervais

was only funny back in and before the dark days of XFM before it dissappeared up capitals arse.

30. Seán

Shit Pencils

It's going to be a load of fuckology

31. yeah, right.

new spirit

In the new spirit of the British way of doing things (what with people advertising panto without innuendo and all), the new Carry On will not contain any innuendo, swearing, sexually suggestive scenes or any of that other claptrap that made Carry On what it was.

Therefore:

Director: John Woo

32. Sceptical Bastard

@ Sarah Bee

You're sick of Paris? Yeah but you're a girl...

As to resuscitating the Carry On corpse, I can think of no finer metaphor for the UK idea of cinematic excellence. Why not shoot it in black and white to emphasise how culturally sophisticated we are as a nation? That and add extra fart gags. And some scousers.

Liverpool? City of Culture? Like Baghdad, City of Peace? Like Tehran, City of Homosexual Tolerance?

33. Cris Page
    Stop

Frankie says........

Im reminded that Frankie Howerd Guested in one once... In memory of that I say

Nay nay ... and thrice Nay!

34. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

Give it a chance...

British cimea needs a big one if it's going to get back on top.

35. Bruce Sinton
    Paris Hilton

Carry on Carrying On I say

I do hope they have several of those well built girls , with rather snug fitting, low cut blouses, It will remind me of how I enjoyed those films in my youth . Many a long year ago , cough , wheeze .

Paris because she does sometimes wear such things , so I am told.

Bruce

36. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Infamy, infamy !!

They've all got it in for me !!!

This topic is closed for new posts.