back to article Swiss boffins unleash power of graphene on flash mem

A Swiss government research lab has reinvented flash memory using graphene and molybdenite in a way that should be faster, scale smaller, use less energy and yet more flexible than boring old NAND. Molybdenite is MoS2, molybdenum disulfide, which is similar to graphite and also has a lubricating effect. Atomically it is a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

sulfide atoms?

huh?

1. Arctic fox
      Thumb Up

Re: "sulfide atoms?" Yes, something of a non-sequitur there.

One should of course speak of the sulphur atoms or the molybdenum disulfide molecule. As a chemist my instinctive reaction to someone saying or writing "the sulfide..." is to ask "the sulfide of what?". It is not a molecule independent of what it is bound to because it cannot exist on its own. Where S2 exists independently it does so as a gaseous allotrope of sulphur called "disulfur"

1. The last doughnut

Re: "sulfide atoms?" Yes, something of a non-sequitur there.

Should he refer to the sulfide ions? Maybe the editor changed ions to atoms.

2. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Noted..

"Keeping it simple, Kis said:"

I saw what you did there :)

1. Arctic fox
      Happy

@Fred Flintstone Re: "Noted.." I have to confess that being a British English speaker........

.........I had to google that one. As a design principle it is difficult to argue with!

3. annodomini2
    Devil

Durability

The primary issue facing SSD type storage flash is durability, smaller faster chips are great, but if they don't last then they become pointless.

This topic is closed for new posts.