back to article Another iPhone passcode bypass spell revealed

Apple's recent release of iOS 6.1.3, complete with fix for the weird keypress sequence that allowed access to and export of iPhone address books, seems to have been just a little bit futile after a new bug with the same effects emerged. The source of the new method is someone or something called Vbarraquito, whose youTube …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dazed and Confused

Apple will doubtless be more than a little embarrassed at this

No chance, anyone who can charge the amount they do of a couple of $$$ worth of flash is clearly quite incapable of feeling any senses of embarrassment about anything.

1. LarsG
      Meh

Re: Apple will doubtless be more than a little embarrassed at this

Why would they be?

When you consider the crap that gets into android phones on a daily basis this is really nothing to be bothered about.

Rather than being embarrassed I think they just look out of the window and think,'at least we don't use the android OS,' as they turn and go back to their Mocha-chino's with smiles on their faces.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Samsung even copies Apple's security shortcomings

Shortly after the Apple screen lock bug was reported, one was reported for Samsung. Now on the same day as this report of a second lock screen bug comes out for Apple, the guy who found the original Samsung lock screen bug found a second one on that platform that's even worse than the first - it allows completely disabling the lock screen, no matter what type of lock (PIN, passsword, or face) that's being used, with full access to the phone.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57575305-83/samsung-lock-screen-flaw-found-company-working-on-fix/

Apparently this is a bug introduced by Samsung, generic Android is not vulnerable.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Samsung even copies Apple's security shortcomings

"Apparently this is a bug introduced by Samsung, generic Android is not vulnerable."

So Apple is still shite!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Samsung even copies Apple's security shortcomings

In practice today, Samsung is Android...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who even cares? Unless you're a politico or celeb, what kind of thief is going to go to the trouble of doing this to get a hold of my phone contacts? On the off chance that they're some kind of high tech identity thief who also robs up mobile phones I'm sure they'd have an array of software to get around these things back in their magic lab anyway.

Now if it let my mates full access to the phone in the time it took to go to the loo so they could post pictures of their man hood on the internet under all my online accounts, then I would be more concerned. Not that I tend to leave my phone with my mates when I go to the loo at the pub as I've found them a little too apt at watching you enter your pin/swipe codes.

1. Diogenes
      Headmaster

teachers...

Your 2nd para answers it for teachers, unlocked phone, camera, a students selfie of their rude bits, complaint to police - teacher's career gone, perhaps prison ....

1. FrankAlphaXII

Re: teachers...

If I was teaching, my phone wouldn't be leaving my car. Plain and simple.

Same rule I had as a high school student. I never had my phone stolen that way and I was up to pretty shady shit back then. Thing was most people I knew got their phone jacked at least once at school though so I know what little bastards (like me and my friends were) are capable of if feeling slighted, fairly or not.

Then again people had a real thing for stealing phones when I was in High School. Nevermind that pretty much everyone had a Nokia 5110 or similar so I didn't really get what good stealing someone's phone was, and consequently never did it. People had a weird way of justifying it, like if the victim hadn't busted the antenna off of their phone yet and you had made it a target, and it was something your hormone and drug addled mind thought it a good idea to rectify through theft, but whatever.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Around where I live, car windows are broken all the time by miscreants looking for stuff left in cars. Probably because idiots like you think they're a safe place to leave wallets, phones, satnav units, etc.

FAIL.

1. t.est

Therefore some take measures to prevent this. Get a old car that works fine, but has no charm. Remove all gadgets as radio etc. Leave the car door open. Your windows will be safe, and as nobody want's anything in it or the car itself. The car is left alone.

Works in Stockholm at lest.

1. Vic

> Get a old car that works fine, but has no charm.

When I insured my van last year, the girl on the phone asked if it has any anti-theft devices.

"The best", said I. "No bugger wants it..."

Vic.

2. Another User
        FAIL

I suggest you browse a little bit on the CPS pages regarding "perverting the course of justice". Having provided your "rude bits" together with your anonymous phone call (voice?) what can possibly go wrong with this plan?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I would definitely not like to test that hypothesis.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Agreed!

"Who even cares".

Yep, my phone book is far from exciting.

Reminds me of the Mike Reid gag about finding his best mate in bed with his missus.

"Dave, I can't believe it - i mean, I have to, but you?"

:-)

1. Anonymous Custard

Kinda brought to mind this story from a web-wandering earlier. Why did we never have teachers like this when I was younger?

Also again seems like the primary school kids can work the machine better than the teacher could...

4. Anonymous Custard
    Joke

Potion containing unicorn blood?

Have you checked that it's not contaminated with horse?

5. Maliciously Crafted Packet

But at least Samsung's bypass bug is more accessible...

compared to the iPhone version, which even the tech bods at the Reg cant get to work properly.

But what do you expect from Same-sung, a bunch misogynistic plagiarists who make kitsch plastic phones, some the size of a skate board in order to fit the massive battery required to power the thing for more than 10 minutes.

But I digress. What I really wanted to highlight was security, or the lack of it on the Android front. Which seems attract botnets and key loggers by the boat load and has now become a Chinese state sponsored hackers dream.

Maybe thats one of the reasons why the US Department of Defense decided to purchase 650,000 iOS devices today and not Android. That and the fact that iOS when all is said and done is the superior platform.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But at least Samsung's bypass bug is more accessible...

"But at least Samsung's bypass bug is more accessible...

compared to the iPhone version, which even the tech bods at the Reg cant get to work properly.

But what do you expect from Same-sung, a bunch misogynistic plagiarists who make kitsch plastic phones, some the size of a skate board in order to fit the massive battery required to power the thing for more than 10 minutes.

But I digress. What I really wanted to highlight was security, or the lack of it on the Android front. Which seems attract botnets and key loggers by the boat load and has now become a Chinese state sponsored hackers dream.

Maybe thats one of the reasons why the US Department of Defense decided to purchase 650,000 iOS devices today and not Android. That and the fact that iOS when all is said and done is the superior platform."

Your childish rant in support of your way to old old tech makes you look more ridiculous than being seen with said shite.

1. Toothpick
        Megaphone

"Your childish rant in support of your way to old old tech makes you look more ridiculous than being seen with said shite."

So says the master of the childish rant

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"What I really wanted to highlight was security, or the lack of it on the Android front. Which seems attract botnets and key loggers by the boat load"

Problem is, all those reports are bogus all from companies trying to tell antivirus and malware "solutions" to problems that don't exist for all but a few pirates that sideload warez, and the same problems exist for jailbroken phones also.

So the real failure is YOUR understanding of the problem, as it's clear you have been sucked in by the FUD.

2. Mark .

I was going to write a criticism of that CNN article, but the first comment says it all:

"It's like reading a rant in a high school newspaper."

- 253 upvotes, 11 downvotes...

(The article basically sums up as "They showed women not men painting their nails, and had a woman interested in a fitness feature" along with a load of irrelevant complaining. Did CNN run an article when the iphone advert showed a female jogger?)

6. Ted Treen
    Facepalm

Incredible...

Perform the most unlikely acts simultaneously, strangle a rubber chicken, sacrifice a virgin**, speak Satan's name three times backwards and you can bypass the security on iPhone/Galaxy/Whatever.

I have serious concerns about the mental well-being of those who not only discover such arcane procedures, but who spend time experimenting to find what sequences of odd behaviour might produce a result.

Unless the phone manufacturers start employing idiot-savants to test their new editions of each OS, it's impossible to guard against, as almost any normal, rational, well-balanced being wouldn't even be able to conceive of some of these "action chains".

**Good luck in finding one...

7. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Unless the phone manufacturers start employing idiot-savants to test their new editions of each OS, it's impossible to guard against

In my experience, 5 year olds will do for hardware, and 12..14 year olds for software. If it survives that, it *deserves* a MIL-SPEC number..

1. Ted Treen
      Pint

Mostly true...

It's just the convoluted sequence of totally random operations that surface...

Nothing like logical sequencing to identify a weakness...

Maybe (at 63) I'm just too 'old school'.

Beer? - well, it's always welcome AND NOW WITH 1p OFF...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like