back to article That Osbo bloke - he's on your Twitters. 'What a c**k'

Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne has joined the swelled ranks of politicos and media bods on Twitter today, ahead of his Budget Statement at lunchtime - which is expected to be one of the bleakest in years. 'This is what they call a selfie, right?' The Register suspects that Osbo is too busy with his abacus today …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. david 63

Correct...

https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/314343067505270784

2. Gordon Pryra
    Meh

That link sends me to a load of cock

Nuf sed

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Is that him writing and signing his first tweet

With any luck, it's his resignation letter. For a double bonus, it's the government's.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Seriously though, how much paperwork actually exists inside a government these days? Enquiring minds need to know...

Ministers all still have red boxes, and get their homework put in them to do each night. See all the gags in Yes Minister about it for details.

So I'd imagine they're mostly on paper reports. Given the amount, and varied nature, of the information that ministers have to absorb, paper is probably the most efficient way to deal with it. Obviously they have to have a large support staff to make this work, but top ministers have so much information to go through that single person, that it would be impossible for them to manage the infomation flow themselves.

4. Andrew Moore
    Go

Spellchecker???

Shouldn' t that be "c**t" not "c**k"

1. Piro Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Spellchecker???

Ah, of course. An easy mistake to make!

1. I think so I am?

got in just before me have an up vote

2. Gavin McMenemy

The search for your alternative results is almost as good as the one the in the article. El Reg missed a trick there.

5. ukgnome
    Trollface

helping those who want to work hard

What a stupid twat - sorry twatter. sorry tweet!

No one wants to work hard, we all want to do as little as possible for as much money as we can, Hell that's why I got into I.T.

1. Citizen Kaned

Re: helping those who want to work hard

and why they are in government.

2. John G Imrie

Re: helping those who want to work hard

You should have got into Investment Banking instead

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gotta love the picture. Paper and pen?

I want to see a Chancellor using some sort of advanced visualisation tool so he can see the effects of decisions.

Of course, he's just a person who presents and rubber stamps the ideas of advisers in reality. So he actually looks like he is marking their homework in that picture. Sadly I don't think he's writing "E - Must Try Harder" or "See Me" on it.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

The Treasury have got a really advanced visualisation machine. They've got a model of the British economy done in plumbing. You open and close different valves, to show the effect of tax/spending changes and see what happens.

Quick Wikipedia link (it came up first) here. Sadly looks like the Treasury don't have one, I'm sure they still did in the 90s, but there's one in the Science Museum.

In reality I'm sure the Chancellor doesn't get to play with the spreadsheets / models. He just gets fat reports with predictions of what effects changes will have.

1. Sargs
        Pint

I have a plan

How about we lock Osborne in the cellars of No 11 with a MONIAC filled with Gin instead of the usual coloured water? After a week, we open the door and see if he's learned some basic economics or drunk himself out of our misery.

Re: I have a plan

I'm sure Osborne's got a grasp of basic economics. The correct answer to the current mess is unknown, as there's not really been a crisis like this. The 1930s Depression was different, for various important reasons.

It's obviously easy for Ed Balls to say that if he'd been in charge things would have been different. But without access to a time machine, or the correct parallel universe, it's impossible to know for certain.

Although one thing that I find constantly amazing is just how many Keynesians we've got kicking around now the world economy is in the toilet, who entirely failed to be Keynesian during the boom (i.e. spending cuts in the boom to limit bubbles - allowing for large borrowing during busts). Were Keynes around today I'm sure he'd make some great suggestions, as he seemed to be a genius, but I'm also sure he'd have been doing a lot of re-writing of his theories, given the experience of the last 50 years.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Bar Steward

Ah yes, the guy who thinks 'wanting to get ahead' is more important than mums (or dads) having quality time with their kids. So the next generation will be even more isolationist and selfish than this one.

1. Citizen Kaned

Re: Bar Steward

what would these wankers know about that? their parents couldnt wait to ship them off to a posh boarding school, all paid for by inherited wealth.

i wonder how many of them have ever done a hard day's work in their lives

1. Van

Re: Bar Steward

Ironically he intended to go into journalism. No doubt to write articles about "c***" politicians.

9. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Why?

Seems an odd decision to join Twitter on the day of the budget (which isn't likely to be a 'nice' one with juicy, popular tax cuts). It'll just be full of abuse. Or they'll have to employ 10 extra people to delete it all.

Unless the Chancellor wants to perch on the front bench with his phone and tweet abuse at the leader of the opposition as he gives the budget response. Perhaps one of those apps that makes him sound like he's on helium?

10. TheOtherHobbes

I think you misspelled

ASBO.

11. LinkOfHyrule
    Paris Hilton

He's actually doing a dot to dot. I'm not very good at ASCII Art but it's sort of this shape: 8== - - - -

12. Thomas 4

Be nice, folks =)

Mr Osborne is doing the best he can to save the economy with his Courageous Outspoken Capitalist Knowledge.

Happy

Re: Be nice, folks =)

I'm sure there must be a gag in there about Ed Balls, but I'll leave that to your fertile imagination...

13. All names Taken
    Paris Hilton

party stopper

nah

nah

na-na-naah

He has a tough job to do and besides, name calling is just so childish and not me tsk whatevuh!

14. AndrueC Silver badge
    Facepalm

..paperwork and pen

Well that explains the lack of support for broadband in his budget. Some kind soul should explain to him about computers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

He used to work as a data entry clerk, so it's possible he would know what 'computer' broadband is.

15. Alex Walsh

Twat is the word I've seen linked to him more than most on twitter today. Strangely apt.

16. 2FishInATank
    Pint

My two favourites:

"Briefcase wanker."

"Go stick your cock in a tiger."

All good quality stuff!

17. Citizen Kaned

https://o.twimg.com/1/proxy.jpg?t=FQQVBBgpaHR0cHM6Ly90d2l0cGljLmNvbS9zaG93L2xhcmdlL2NjeTVxcS5qcGcUBBYAEgA&s=33lEXirK7GVA0eXhamwb8tLb5z_JDYvIZeHs0D3cGnU

i guess he is honest on twitter :)

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So who are the twats now?

Evening standard journo gets sacked for tweeting budget leak agreement

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21861941

19. Robert Ramsay
    Happy

Best reply was from Jonnie Marbles

His was: "Go stick your cock in a tiger"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like