back to article Dot Hill in a dot hole: Disk array builder struggles to stem losses

Disk-array constructor Dot Hill's newly released financial figures for last year reveal a falling revenue trend and a struggle to reel in losses. Dot Hill quarterly revenues and profit/loss Dot Hill's quarterly revenues and losses (Click on chart for a larger version) The company, which has offices in Basingstoke, UK, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. M. B.

Innovate or die.

That's the way it is in storage. The DotHill product is a good performer and doesn't break the bank for the SMB marketplace, but it's a legacy platform. There hasn't been any major innovation on the product for a long time.

The last time I had my folks do a pricing exercise for remote office storage, NetApp FAS2240 came in at several thousand dollars less than an HP P2000. As a result, we now have a FAS2240 in one of our remote offices handling file and block duties.

1. Nate Amsden

Re: Innovate or die.

The new HP 3PAR 7200 series is also priced not too much higher than P2000 and offers significantly more capabilities of course -- HP is obviously pushing these new platforms hard so I imagine P2000 will suffer even more.

My own experience with P2000 over the past year has been somewhat spotty, more or less it works but it's a PITA and we've had several more glitches (controller failures(something related to a controller getting stuck and the 2nd one shutting the first one down so it could flush the writes to disk), web UI bugs , one time the array just seemed to stop accepting writes) than I was anticipating given the low resource utilization for the environment it sits in.

the lack of thin provisioning on the system is a PITA too --exporting volumes no good either.

Though I'm sure for the largest of customers (e.g. Amazon) they will continue to deploy P2000 for a while because they get such big discounts on them.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

It'd help

If their own-brand product wasn't more than twice the price of better specced competition (Actually it was about 3.5x last time we looked)

It's not just "innovate or die", it's "compete or die".

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Customers voting with their wallets

Unless their quality has improved in last few years, it is no wonder they're going down the drain. Unreliable heaps of crap.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like