back to article Then there were 3: Micron slowly 'wipes out' NAND flash rivals

Hands up who thought Samsung was the world's leading flash shipper? Well, according to a Micron VP, it is his company that's the biggest shipper of NAND flash in the business, bigger than both Samsung and Hynix. Micron makes DRAM, NAND and NOR flash chips. Kipp Bedard, Micron's investor relations VP, told the Raymond James …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

Not bad for a company that started out in potato country.

I wonder if anyone had the guts to tell J R Simplot that when he said we should go into business making chips, we didn't think he meant the kind you serve with fish.

2. Mikel
    Thumb Down

No more cheap RAM

Prices of SSD to stay high.

/sigh

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

" and take advantage of technology process shrinks to get more dice from a wafer."

Dies not dice.

1. MondoMan

Re: "... more dice from a wafer."

Maybe they're just diversifying into the gaming industry!

2. Robert Ramsay
      Joke

Re: " and take advantage of technology process shrinks to get more dice from a wafer."

Alea jacta est!

4. Michael Habel

Well if they erver have asperations of

replacing their Tech with the so-called "Spinning Rust" round here. They'll need to be competitive on price and, capacity as well as performance. So they're only a Third ahead of the Game now as I see it. When I could get 4x4TB (i.e.=8TB of Storage), Spinners for the same price as a SINGLE 265GB SSD!

I for one would chose the extra Storage, and use the Cash saved to pick up a nice Synology NAS to play with.

1. JC_

Re: Well if they erver have asperations of

Maths fail, spelling fail, grammar fail, shopping fail...

A 256GB M4 costs around £150; a 2TB HDD around £70. £150 is not the same price as £280 and a NAS won't fit in your laptop.

PS - writing "spinning rust" is like saying "meat-space"; only geeks will understand you, and even they will think you're weird.

5. N13L5

So why...

...are the ever more massive amounts of irrational capital all tied up in derivatives, instead of chasing one or more of the new memory technologies?

Since 2007, central banks around the world have been pumping gigantic amounts of cash almost exclusively into private banks, who then pass it on to their hedge fond partners and subsidiaries to go gamble with, rather than making loans (to each other or to companies)

You can't tell me they're suddenly all too smart to make (potentially) bad bets, as they continue to gamble ceaselessly . . . ?

6. bigdata
    Thumb Up

Don't believe those numbers

Samsung and Toshiba are the largest makers of NAND period.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like