back to article Caught on camera: Fujitsu touts anti-terrorist pulse-taking tech

Japanese boffins at Fujitsu have announced a new imaging technology that can take a user’s pulse simply by monitoring the changing brightness of their face, and in so doing potentially stop shifty souls at the airport. The ingenious video-based system captures the subject’s face, calculating the average value of red, green and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, you can defeat this by being late?

So, you could defeat this "TERRRROOOOOORRRRIIIISSSST<FNORD>" detector just be being late and having to run to make the connection?

1. Chairo
      Devil

Re: So, you can defeat this by being late?

- Ahh my plane - I have to get my plaaane!

- Sorry Sir, and if you would bend down, please? It is for your own security...

<snapping of a plastic glove>

2. dotdavid
      Thumb Up

Yes, if by "defeat" you mean "be majorly inconvenienced by"

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Presumably it would be easy enough to defeat with a couple of valium or beta blockers, so in other words utterly pointless.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> so in other words utterly pointless.

Right, so any security measure that can be defeated should be instantly abandoned.

Lets get rid of metal detectors because you could have a ceramic knife instead of a metal one. Lets abandon passport checks because you can forge one, etc.

Alternatively, lets make it so that there are a 100 different things the terrorist has to get right every time in order to not be caught.

1. Intractable Potsherd

"Alternatively, lets make it so that there are a 100 different things the terrorist has to get right every time in order to not be caught."

Or - and I know this is from completely outside the envelope - we could stop being so f***ing paranoid and allow going to airports to be a pleasure again. I know it isn't going to happen anytime soon, but it is a pleasant dream of mine.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> we could stop being so f***ing paranoid

Paranoia is an unfounded distrust, I think past events teach us that this distrust isn't unfounded.

1. Graham Marsden
              Boffin

"lets make it so that there are a 100 different things the terrorist has to get right every time in order to not be caught."

Please look up the following words: "False Positive".

How many people might also fall foul of those "100 different things"?

As for "unfounded distrust", perhaps you should look up "diminishing returns" too...

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

No it is not exactly. Paranoid is: A psychotic disorder characterized by delusions of persecution with or without grandeur, often strenuously defended with apparent logic and reason.

Sounds like politicians, lawyers, and generally most other vamps.

2. Byham

There is a flaw in your logic

What do you do when you have 'caught' someone holding a bomb? After the remains of the previous security team have been scraped off the ceiling latex gloves as well. Your enthusiasm for the 'gotcha' moment tends to fade. It is a little late once the hot sweaty guy is in the crowd at the security perimeter. Many of these security defences just allow you to tense up.

2. Jeff Power

Also, MIT did this last year

MIT showed off something similar last year:

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2012/amplifying-invisible-video-0622.html

And have since developed it further:

http://video.mit.edu/watch/revealing-invisible-changes-in-the-world-13649/

http://people.csail.mit.edu/mrub/vidmag/

1. Whitter
      Meh

Re: Also, MIT did this last year

2010 is the first I recall seeing a demo. Old news indeed.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

New Airport Policy

Attention all passengers:

In order to avoid racial profiling based on the color of a person's skin at airport security, we will now closely monitor the color of your skin to decide whether or not you are a terrorist.

Confused? Good. Now put your clothes back on and enjoy your flight.

1. Old Handle

Re: New Airport Policy

That raises an interesting question. I wonder how well this copes with dark skin tones. Or how about heavy makeup?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

" I wonder how well this copes with dark skin tones. Or how about heavy makeup?"

Or a ski mask.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"That raises an interesting question. I wonder how well this copes with dark skin tones. Or how about heavy makeup?"

Or people who are desperate for a piss because they've been in the security queue for so long.

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

"Or people who are desperate for a piss because they've been in the security queue for so long."

Or been traveling for 24+ hours and need to make a connection at Heathrow, typically at the most distant terminal and this checkpoint being the fourth rectal exam in the past 24 hours.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

"Attention all passengers:"

I think the term you are looking for is "suspects".

You just have not done anything yet.

4. Thorne
    Black Helicopters

A body cavity search for anyone that's scared of flying isn't going to help them overcome their fears...

1. Matt 21

Stressed, late for the plane, had an argument with the Mrs, pissed off with the kids larking about, just seen some young thing in a short skirt bending over to pick up a bag, dropped your case on your foot etc. etc.

5. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Big Brother

Terrified of flying, Sir?

No need to be!

Look how carefully we screen people!

Nothing to fear!

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: Terrified of flying, Sir?

Well screened for both terrorism and colon cancer.

6. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Joke

Essex girls beware?

Title says it all.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

is this like

when the narc officer taps the side of your car so his dog will "alert", thus giving him probable cause to search your vehicle?

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: is this like

Nah, more like the TSA tapping the magnetometer whist the traveler is passing through it, which makes it alarm.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Obvious application

There is an obvious application, and it has nothing to do with airport security.

Please turn on your camera before you watch this arousing content, so we can automatically switch to advertisements when satisfaction has been achieved.

There must be a market for that.

9. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

There's an app for that (really)

The "VitalSigns" app from Philips has been doing heart rate detection on the iPhone 4S for quite some time (the first version was posted late 2011). It also monitors breathing, but it needs you to keep the camera quite steady. The heart rate detection seems less sensitive.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

aviophobics? nervous? gritting teeth?

that would be, like, all the people who line up at Stansted to go through the hoops - as soon as they realize that the crowd in front of them is NOT a temporary obstruction. Same with people getting off a plane, when they try to get through the terminal door, 5 miles before the passport control, and they are asked to form an orderly line. It's the only time I wished I had a non-EU passport.

11. Ragequit
    FAIL

More dodgey tech for the 'war' against terrorism...

There's going to be so many false positives with this. What of people with heart issues? Tachycardia? Never mind all the various more mundane reasons for people's hearts to be racing. This would probably more accurately pre-screen for obese passengers so the airlines can charge them extra. Either way this is just more profiling. Especially since most terrorists expect to die and have made peace with that. They're probably the calmest of the lot.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This might be useful in retirement homes

as a way to detect a change in a prisoner's guest's condition. After all, it's not like they have any privacy anyway.

13. Steve 13
    Thumb Down

My pulse

Because my pulse is never raised at the airport due to wearing too many layers, carrying a bag around, being stressed about the poor service, arguing with the wife, bemoaning the lack of coffee or being up at 0400 to get there...

Is there any evidence that suggests that terrorists at airports have pulses measurably higher than the rest of the people pissed off at being at the airport and not on holiday already?

14. JeffyPooh
    Pint

Pulse Rate .NE. Terrorism Indicator

Daft, stupid and useless. Because 99.99999999...% of travelers are not terrorists, airports will be neck-deep in False Positives. This is supposed to be common knowledge by now.

15. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

For the convenience of terrorists,

here is information about drugs and other treatments to maintain a normal heart rate.

Actually, screw that. Google it yourselves, you bastards.

16. ZenCoder

What about terrorists detecting toilets?

Gastrointestinal distress is also a sign of anxiety and there is a clear advantage in employing toilet biometrics in that a suspect will already be in an enclosed isolated environment and therefore easily detained.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Typical researcher! My grant is nearly spent, how can I waste more money?

Just because you can does not mean you should!

This just goes too far.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, it's like a polygraph...

... only even less accurate. Brillant!

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Easy bypass

Rather easy to fool this high tech pulse taking tech, tech. Just pop a valium and you'll be cool as ice.

1. Hollerith 1

Re: Easy bypass

You don't even need valium: you just have to be rock-solid certain of the rightness of your cause, that the Big Guy Upstairs values you more than anyone else in the airport, and is ready to welcome your soul into paradise, and that your plan cannot fail, due to the first two points.

I think a truly committed terrorist will be calmer than the middle-aged lady smuggling some home-made pate or fresh fruit for the family overseas.

20. Alan Esworthy
    Big Brother

Oh, joy

Airports will become a modern version of Le Théâtre du Grand-Guignol but with enforced audience participation.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I can see this being deployed

In major cities, attached to lampposts to detect would-be drug dealers and other nefarious types.

On the flip side, they could also use it to detect people with seriously elevated heart rates before they keel over from heart attacks/etc, thus saving lives.

AC

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like