back to article SGI gooses InfiniteStorage arrays with new NetApp controllers

Supercomputer and high-density server maker Silicon Graphics shipped over 600PB of disk capacity last year across its InfiniteStorage product line, and it is revving up its entry InfiniteStorage 5000 series to get a bigger bite of storage attachments for HPC and big data workloads that want cheap, fat, and fast disk arrays. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jabuzz
    Thumb Down

Lies from SGI

That machine will have 2.5 times the capacity per spindle compared to Oracle, IBM, and Fujitsu arrays in the same class.

Given that IBM sell exactly the same hardware as the DS3512, DS524 and DCS3700, I am keen to know how SGI believe that they will be offering anything better than IBM?

1. flashguy

Re: Lies from SGI

This is actually NetApp's successor to the base model of the "DCS3700 Power", 2 generations beyond the older LSI-Engenio/current IBM DS3xxx line. It offers 3x the throughput rates of the older model (but as noted, no FC or iSCSI support). Regardless, I'm pretty sure the intended comparison (at price point, hence the "class" qualifier) is either with the IBM Storwize or XIV lines and not the DS.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I agree. I am surprised that the random performance is so high. wonder if there is a way to make this a tiered storage solution

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Nope. They don't have FAST tier like EMC does. It's a storage island.

This topic is closed for new posts.