back to article Apple tears itself away from iThings to squash Mac OS X bugs

Apple may be more interested in phones and watches these days than the 20th century legacy product that is the PC, but has nonetheless issued a new update for the operating system it still offers for the antediluvian machines. OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.3, to give the update its full name, slipped down the skids today promising …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. csumpi
    Meh

wake me up

when every application gets it's own menu bar.

1. Chairo
      Joke

Re: wake me up

Menu bar production has been in-sourced back to California to make up for the loss of start button production volume. Menu bars have therefore become premium items and supply is severely restricted.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: wake me up

So that makes it 1,840 known vulnerabilities in OS-X - only a few Linux distributions can beat that!

2. Esskay
    Coat

APPLE DOES THING

Thing may take time for some people

3. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Devil

This isn't the update you're looking for...

There's no "Adds an easily accessible tickbox in the General preferences which reliably turns off ALL autosave/versioning nonsense and brings back Save As..."

1. bag o' spanners
      Devil

Re: This isn't the update you're looking for...

It's not a service pack. It's a feature clawback.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Matthew 17

Installed this morning

Small download, quick to install, no issues.

Sorry.

6. Sport Monkey
    WTF?

My 10.8.2/Win 8 machine impossible...

Boot camp worked a treat on 10.8.2, kudos to Apple for trying to sell it as an improvement.

1. Silverburn
      Thumb Down

Re: My 10.8.2/Win 8 machine impossible...

No report on bootcamp with fusion drive though...just "3TB drives".

In addition, the following....errrr..."bugs" have not been removed.

- The styling of contacts, notes and reminders is still "broken". ie not the same as the OS

- The Game centre still....errr...exists.

- Launchpad still...exists

- Airdrop still...exists

- mission control is transparently still f*ed. It has to be, to look like that.

- Full screen is still a mess

- Language preferences still a mess (i have a system half in english and half in german...awesome)

- "Versions" is a still a mess in all but textedit.

C'mon Apple...put down the shiny toys, and get back to some real work, eh? Some new mac pro's, more upgradeable desktops/laptops please and an OS thats actually designed for the desktop...not an old version with iOS bollocks tacked on top.

1. James O'Shea

Re: My 10.8.2/Win 8 machine impossible...

"In addition, the following....errrr..."bugs" have not been removed.

- The styling of contacts, notes and reminders is still "broken". ie not the same as the OS"

Errr.. what on Earth are you on about? The Leather Queen of Phobus idiocy or something else?

"- The Game centre still....errr...exists."

Not on any of _my_ machines. Drag to Trash, empty Trash, problem gone.

"- Launchpad still...exists"

See Game Center, above.

"- Airdrop still...exists"

Not on my machines. Getting rid of it was slightly more difficult than dumping Game Center & Launchpad, but took a matter of seconds.

"- mission control is transparently still f*ed. It has to be, to look like that."

Errr... no.

"- Full screen is still a mess"

Which is why I never use it.

"- Language preferences still a mess (i have a system half in english and half in german...awesome)"

I have a system with English (US), English (UK), French, and Spanish... 'cause I want it that way. Life in Deepest South Florida, don'tyaknow.

"- "Versions" is a still a mess in all but textedit."

Now, _this_ I agree with.

7. Mick Sheppard

~sigh~

Companies are able to do more than one thing at once. It might be a shock but it does happen.

Samsung seem to be able to release new smart TVs, laptops, and phones without getting sarky comments about them tearing their attention away from one or the other. Is El Reg still smarting because Apple don't consider them a worth news outlet?

8. Chris 3

Updates also for Lion, and ... surprisingly, Snow Leopard

Nice to see Cupertino giving some love to users who are still on 10.6.x - I honestly thought our days of updates were done.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Updates also for Lion, and ... surprisingly, Snow Leopard

I believe that under ordinary circumstances 10.6.8 would have been dropped by now, it seems even Apple have realised that too many people are holding out. Some people want it on DVD, some people want Rosetta, some people don't want the IOSification present in 10.7+, some people's hardware will only support up to 10.7 which is too annoying, and some people aren't willing to hack 10.8 to get rid of autosave/versioning but instead want a proper solution.

9. envmod

the imac audio stutter fix is long overdue

i've been having problems with intermittent crackly and stuttery audio (i am a music producer) for ages on my 2011 imac. will be bloody pleased to get this fixed.

1. Ben Holmes
      Meh

Re: the imac audio stutter fix is long overdue

If you're a music producer, then surely you have some sort of epic external sound card to handle all that pesky audio processing. Or was this a bug in CoreAudio?

1. envmod

i do indeed use an external sound card - the slightly old now, but awesome Edirol FA-101 FireWire 10 in 10 out number. Still get the stuttering though, so must be to do with Core Audio as you suggested.

1. Ben Holmes
          Happy

Ooh very nice. I started out with the Edirol UA-5, which was a brilliantly solid bit of kit, although a bit on the small scale. Work with a M-Audio Fast Track Uktra these days - although it certainly lacks the joyful robustness of the Edirol kit!

P.s. silly Core Audio...

10. paulotoole
    Happy

Updated my MacBook Air in 6 mins. 1 reboot. All seems ship-shape - Safari's a bit snappier and they've (finally!) fixed Messages on the Mac now all my TXTs stay in the right order on all my iDevices! Super job Apple - thanks.

1. Sport Monkey

Re:

The Messages out of order was an iOS 6 beta issue, I found myself killing Messages on a daily basis when the iMessages got jumbled ahead of the (S/M)MS

11. Dana W

2010 iMac one restart here, 2012 Macbook pro one restart. Did you get a firmware update too?

12. Daniel B.

hehe, the File URL

that bug crashes a lot of stuff. In fact, if I attempt to type it in here, it *will* crash Safari. Or Firefox. Or anything!

13. Fill
    Thumb Up

Thumbs up

Update was fine and quick on a rMBP lappy here.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like