back to article Apple's marketing honcho Schiller attacks Android, Samsung

When a company says that it's not worried about a competitor, it's a safe bet that it's worried about a competitor. And when that company is the notoriously close-mouthed Apple and its competitor, Samsung, is about to release a new version of its successful Galaxy S smartphone, you can double-down on that bet. "At Apple we …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
    Headmaster

I guess the author wanted to say "El Número Dos"

Other than that, I'll just say it's infuriating (and at the same time oddly amusing) watching both companies flinging sh*t at each other, like monkeys in a cage, rather than trying to convince customers about why their shiny glass bricks are better than the other's shiny glass bricks.

Not that the situation is going to change in the foreseeable future...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Meh

>"Other than that, I'll just say it's infuriating (and at the same time oddly amusing) watching both companies flinging sh*t at each other"

Nothing new. Apple has never had enough engineering intelligence to support a broad base of hardware, so they've always gone with the "gotcha" style of advertising and PR to attack MS, Linux, Google, Samsung - whoever and whatever they consider to be their current nemesis. What they seemingly fail to notice is that these PR and ad efforts have had very little effect - for example, MS grew enormously and globally throughout the '90's, all throughout the "Get a Mac" advertising era.

2. Dazed and Confused

Internal research, or the boss asked me to write...

internal research that says that four times as many customers switch to iOS from Android than the other way around.

I'm sure there will be plenty of people along soon to agree with their figures, but personally I can't think of anyone I know who's gone that way around, I know a lot of iPhone users, but they've been there from the off. But I know a crowd of people who've gone from the iPhone to Android. One reason was you couldn't get any signal in one of the the offices I visit on an iPhone (no matter how it was held) whereas an SII worked find, even down into the data centre.

3. djstardust
    Mushroom

Innovation?

Samsung are innovating. Apple are stagnating (especially iOS)

He needs to do some fresh thinking to get Apple back in the groove. Badmouthing the competition hours before a flagship release smacks of desperation.

Sorry Apple, you're losing it (and the share price soon as well)

1. N13L5
      FAIL

Re: Innovation?

Yeah, an up to date iOS, where nothing really changed from the 'wall of icons' concept, except that they break your jailbreak every time, so you have to waste hours and hours to get your phone back to working the way you want.

Apple's way or the highway...

I'll take the highway any day.

4. Ragequit
    Facepalm

Spin

I've already seen one apple loving site reverberating this corporate spin. But more importantly what's up with all the grade school 'marketing' of late? Seems like exec's can't get enough of trash talking lately.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Spin

Apple vs. Samsung. The Diss!

I can't wait.

5. Lars Silver badge
    Happy

If you cannot beat them

just join them. Time for Apple to deliver a Android phone. Just kidding, of course, but then again some car manufacturers produce cars of rather different size with rather different engines. Apple hardware (with a Apple logo) and Android software. Half as rotten as an Apple only. Go figure, and remember to patent it.

With high expectations.

Regards Lars

1. Maliciously Crafted Packet

Re: If you cannot beat them

Thats not such a bad idea.

Apple to release a competitively priced forked Android phone. Rebadged of course so as not to taint their premium branding. The installed bloatware to contain Apple services such as iTunes, Maps, iCloud etc for lockin and revenue stream.

This will enable Apple to be price competitive with Samsung/HTC with the added advantage of causing yet more fragmentation within the Android ecosystem.

Bloody brilliant.

6. Craigness

Newer versus better

Windows 8 is more recent than OSX. I rest my case.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Newer versus better

"Windows 8 is more recent than OSX. I rest my case."

The OS is brand new, unlike 00's iOS. You do realise that the year is 2013?

Your iPhone makes looks as outdated as your beliefs.

7. Greg J Preece

Between reading the article and getting to this page, every single comment criticisng Apple has received exactly one downvote. I think we have a butthurt iOS user out there.

Much as I dislike pretty much every mainstream "smartphone" these days, the problem of Android fragmentation is over-hyped by its competitors. I can't say I've ever noticed it as an issue, and I've been using Android on my work phones since 1.5. I can't think of a single app I've wanted that I couldn't have. True, I keep fairly up to date, but I was on 2.2 and 2.3 for a long time with no issues.

I accept that it's more of a pain in the arse for developers, but the only reason no-one's using older iOS versions is that any iOS device over two years old is immediately abandoned as unfashionable and (knowing Apple's rather dodgy updates) slow as hell, and never used again.

I've got a few 3Gs in the company inventory, using the latest possible iOS (4.2, I think) - you wouldn't want to use one. They're quite astonishingly unusable.

1. CCCP
      WTF?

Really?

Much as i've never been in love with my 3GS, it runs the least bad it ever has on the latest iOS.

It's 16gb and very light on apps though.

Reception as poor as ever, but that's hardware related I think.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Really?

Well, I'm on a iphone 3 with iOS 4 - so I've been hit with Apple's own version of OS fragmentation, the ones left behind because they are no longer supported.

I don't suppose Apple have a chart showing how many phone owners are on which version of iOS?

2. Michael Xion
      Happy

Astonishingly useable

I don't usually buy into the whole 'my phone's better than your phone' gig, but I'm currently using an iPhone 3GS running iOS 6.1.2 and I never have a problem with it. Maybe you're holding yours wrong :-) or just need to upgrade the OS.

As its a work phone, I cold get a brand new iPhone 5 tomorrow, but don't see the need as the current one works perfectly. Battery life is as good as the day I bought it.

1. Greg J Preece

Re: Astonishingly useable

I don't usually buy into the whole 'my phone's better than your phone' gig, but I'm currently using an iPhone 3GS running iOS 6.1.2 and I never have a problem with it. Maybe you're holding yours wrong :-) or just need to upgrade the OS.

Maybe it's a 3G, not a 3GS. :-p

8. frank ly

Does the OS version matter?

I've used every Android version from Froyo to Jelly Bean and apart from stylistic GUI changes (some annoying) and the ability to put apps in folders (ICS onwards), the OS doesn't matter to me. What matters are the apps and that they work - which they do. I use my Android phone/tablet to pickup email, read the RSS feeds, manage and display calendars, write and read personal notes ...... oh, I sometimes make phone calls too, but not often.

I'm all for obvious improvements and fixing of bugs, but as a user then I don't care.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re: Does the OS version matter?

Indeed, as regardless of Android version, you can run all the latest apps just fine... So really, what's the problem.

If you care about it, buy a Nexus. £159 gets you a Nexus7 that's always bang upto date (and not only much cheaper than the iPad Mini, better spec too). £259 gets you a Nexus4, which totally kills the iphone5 in pretty much every respect (aside from LTE/4G).

The guy is clearly a retard anyway, as he also claimed

"When you take an Android device out of the box, you have to sign up to nine accounts with different vendors to get the experience iOS comes with,"

Which is rather funny, as when I signed into my Nexus4, I only had to sign into a single Google account. If he is making this stuff up, why should we believe anything else he is spewing out in a desperate attempt to stop the Apple exodus...

1. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
        FAIL

Agreed, OS version does not matter unless there is a fundamental flaw in it.

I had to do a double take on the article, crApple's head marketer is Phil Schiller... AKA Phil the Shill, FFS you couldn't make up a name like that unless you were writing the latest Hugh Grant lightweight comedy. But I digress.

Phil the Shill said "You have to love and use them" phones presumably and not the iSheep who buy them, No Phil, you use your phone and because it provides the functionality you need and you love it because of that functionality. You may think that there is no difference between , but there is and what Phil the Shill seems to be saying is that crApple owners are more interested in owning the latest shinny things.

For the record, my current phone is a samsung smart phone running 2.6, my next phone will also be a samsung, probabaly the SIII Mini.

Why am I changing? I'm out of contract and the new plan gives me more minutes & texts, the same data but will cost me less than my current plan. A new phone is just a bonus.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

More importantly, he's pointing out that when you get an iPhone all your details, your life is in their hands.

So I'm not so sure that having one sign up is such a great idea. Personally I prefer to keep my stuff in separate camps.

9. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Meh

Like politicians really.

As soon as I hear someone bashing the opposition they've lost their case as far as I'm concerned.

10. William Donelson
    FAIL

Android's problems

1) there are 25-50 versions out there, terrible for App makers (me). I make one iOS version and it always runs on all iPads and iPhones.

2) The number of detected mobile malware attacks continues to skyrocket. McAfee counts over 36,000 mobile malware threats—almost entirely targeting the Android OS [in 4th quarter 2012]. - PC World

3) Google Chrome has just been updated, and is still crap at HTML5 and does not offer a full-screen mode.

I hope Google gets it act together and stops allowing so many, many different incompatible versions of Android. They only hurt the brand.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

Re: Android's problems

"I make one iOS version and it always runs on all iPads and iPhones."

Probably because the most prominent update to iOS is only the version number. No worries though, iOS still changes more than the hardware it runs upon.

It is easy to be stable...when you're in a comma.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> when you're in a comma.

Better than being in a colon I suppose....

1. stephajn
          Pint

Someone get this AC a beer! Having such a slow day at work, and that crack woke me up with a good laugh.

2. Dire Criti¢
          Paris Hilton

"Better than being in a colon I suppose...."

Whilst having a a 'semi' on?

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Utter nonsense.

If you REALLY did application development

1) you would know that every time Apple make a new class of device, none of the old apps work, remember when you had to rewrite all your apps to make them work on tablets, and then again for the iPad3 and then again for the iphone5? Yep, that's REAL fragmentation for you. The OS doesn't deal with different aspec ratios AT ALL. Android deals with all of this, it allows you to include as many layout fragments as you need in your APK to handle all sorts of devices. If you didn't know this, or that there is a REALLY good compatibility library which backports all the cool stuff to versions of Android all the way back to 1.5, then you REALLY shouldn't be writing apps.

2) McAffee say lots of things, what they don't say is how many of these affect Google Play store, and how many affect some dodgy Chinese users with el-cheapo tablets where everything (including malware) has to be sideloaded. By the same token, nobody wants to talk about the massive piracy and malware problems that affect jailbroken iPhones... I wonder why,,, because Malware products aren't allowed on iOS, so there is nobody liek Mcaffee bleating about their snakeoil "solutions". Quite clearly you have fallen right into their trap set for gullible consumers.

3) Android allows you to load whatever browser you like, unlike iOS (where eveything is either Safari, or a Safari skin that's intentionally hobbled so it can never be as fast as the native browser). If you don't like Chrome (and I do, it's superb on my nexus4, but on slower phones, I can see why it might be a bit sluggish), then there is plenty of choice. Opera Mobile is REALLY good and renders very quickly even on 2-3 year old Android phones.

1. Arctic fox
        Unhappy

@Barry Shitpeas: Blimey Barry, calmly written, made sense and to a large extent...........

.................I agree with your points. You've really got to stop doing that, you are spoiling my day.

3. P. Lee
      Childcatcher

> I make one iOS version and it always runs on all iPads and iPhones.

I've lost track of the number of apps which no longer run on my ipod touch because it doesn't upgrade to the latest IOS version. Things that used to work, now don't.

As far as I'm concerned, its an anti-feature when your app store can't support multiple versions of an app.

Upgrade, upgrade upgrade!

No thanks, I'm quite happy with my Galaxy S (1) and Gingerbread. I'll upgrade when it breaks. In the meantime, I'll spend the $35/month I save by having a BYO contract and buy myself a new high-end graphics card or a new PC or have a really nice weekend away... or maybe I'll just wait until there's a handset I really want.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

>1) there are 25-50 versions out there, terrible for App makers (me).

>I make one iOS version and it always runs on all iPads and iPhones.

ADT will tell you if you use something that is only in a newer SDK version and the support library does a good enough job at backporting the useful bits of newer releases back to stoneage phones.

Yes, there are weird issues between some versions of Android. Like I was recently struggling with a weird issue with MediaPlayer not being able to read files from the apps cache directory only on Android 4.0 and 4.1. Any Android dev should have a range of phones from old bangers up to the latest releases. I dare say there are weird little issues that only appear on certain IOS devices.

>many different incompatible versions of Android. They only hurt the brand.

I guess you have no development experience at all..

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

I suppose us older iPhone users can blame the app developers then. My itunes shows a large number of updates to my apps (generally citing "iPhone 5 optimization") but all also saying "needs iOS version" and then giving an increment above what my phone can run.

5. g e
      Holmes

Ouch

Sound like your grapes are extra sour. Stick to ios development, then and leave Android to everyone else.

6. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

As a buyer I couldn't careless what the developers problems are. Either it's profitable for you to make whatever, or someone else will do it.

Apps in the main are worthless toys, those that aren't have a profit incentive for being made. If you can claim that Apple have more must have killer apps then you'd have a point ... but you don't!

11. darkpill
    Thumb Down

He's Wrong

Customers would be lucky to get any updates at all. Welcome to Android.

12. Mikel
    Gimp

Fragmentation?

Android has literally always had it, and now is outselling his phone OS nearly 3:1 and just took the lead in tablets too. His whining that people seem to prefer what he thinks is a fatal flaw is a failure to adapt. Fragmentation is choice, and people like choices. Choosing is an empowering and enjoyable part of the purchase experience. An essential one. He should know that.

Sour grapes.

1. Chris 171
      Devil

Re: Fragmentation?

That's the rub though, the amount of 'choices' apple make carte blanche for their clientele is starting to bite them on the arris.

I don't think they can change a drilled in ethic this strong overnight. Trouble is they need too.

Bit like Lewis leaving McLaren, you gotta depart the jobsian way but stay close to home kinda thing. Or just stop shlitigating yourself out of all credibility and put a memory card slot in a phone.

13. JaitcH
    FAIL

Apple's Marketing Honcho Schiller Not the Brightest Spark as he ....

broke a well known rule in Marketing.

NEVER knock the competition - it makes customers check them out.

1. TheOtherHobbes

Re: Apple's Marketing Honcho Schiller Not the Brightest Spark as he ....

Quite. It's amateurish and looks desperate.

Then again so did the S4 launch event.

I don't suppose someone can round up all the tech marketing types and dump them on an island somewhere?

I'm imagining a reality TV show where they do competitive Powerpoint with their creative 'ideas'.

The winner keeps their job, the losers are thrown into a swimming pool full of angry combat-trained Eastern-European dolphins.

14. ChrisM

he is a Market-tard...

Therefore anything he says should be taken with a shovel full of salt.... Just like all the hype and nonsense that will be emanating from the S4 launch later...

15. Martin Pittaway

UK or US?

British buy on Price. Americans buy on the best tool for the job and then the price. it's a significant difference that means that all these surveys that compare the Brits to the Yanks are lopsided and don't give a true reflection. Prime Example: Blair sent troops to Afghanistan licking up to Bush. How wrong was that?

1. Green Nigel 42
      Black Helicopters

Re: UK or US?

Or Brits buy on value, Americans on the latest shiny new! Lets face it you can't really generalize & quote stereo types as facts,

One fact though Brits went to Afgan as part of their NATO commitment along with the other members.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If you can't afford the best tool for the job, then you buy on price not value.

No point looking covetously at the $100 hammer that will last 25 years of use, if you've only got $20 spare after paying your bills for the month.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Green Nigel 42
        Thumb Up

That sounds like affordable Andriod vs iPhone!

The iPhone would make a superior hammer thou!

16. Roland6 Silver badge

And the stats for iOS?

We shouldn't forget that there are multiple versions of iOS out there, it would be interesting to see current stat's.

What is questionable is why organisations such as netmarketshare.com only list: iPad, iPhone & iPod ie. no revision level information but list all Android releases. Similarly statcounter.com omits Apple release level information in their breakdowns. Given that the information is available and hence collected by interested organisations, an answer is required.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: And the stats for iOS?

Building on my previous comment, it is a shame that the Android developer site doesn't give any information on how it collected it's data, although I suspect it was collated from web usage stat's, which can't really be translated into numbers of real users (see article http://betanews.com/2013/01/02/stupid-bloggers-misstate-windows-8-market-share/ for a discussion on this point).

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"UK or US?

British buy on Price. Americans buy on the best tool for the job and then the price. it's a significant difference that means that all these surveys that compare the Brits to the Yanks are lopsided and don't give a true reflection. Prime Example: Blair sent troops to Afghanistan licking up to Bush. How wrong was that?"

What a load of bull shit! I fear for our kids, they have no clue.

18. streaky
    Big Brother

Point?

"Over 50 percent are still on software that is two years old"

And what, the old versions don't totally fail like old version of iOS - hell, they have multitasking n' everything. Because people aren't stupid enough to think they need a new phone every year (which apple customers will soon tire of) that doesn't make Apple super awesome.

19. Smiles

No fragmentation?

Possibly been covered already, but I'm lazy and skimmed the comments.

3 years ago I was given an iPod touch, and despite it confirming to me that I did not want an iPhone, I had to admit I loved it. I effectively retired my phone/laptop from online use when I was at home, and for emails/new/checking lottery results etc it was really handy.

During that time I have gradually seen the apps I used (some free, some paid) drop off, as developers stopped supporting older versions of iOS, and Apple refused to allow my device to upgrade, apparently because I don't have a camera and some apps use it (?).

Some of these are understandable, some not so much. The National Lottery app no longer works, why? All it does is download a few numbers and display them. Simple games like Mahjong download an update and then refuse to run, with no option to roll back.

I see no reason to upgrade my MP3 player because Apple think 3 years is a sufficient lifespan, my old iPod third gen is still running fine, and that's 10 years old.

That to me is enough to ensure I never buy another Apple product. Ever.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like