back to article Report says #Facebook #to #adopt #hashtags

Facebook is preparing to adopt hashtags, the folksonomy feature beloved of Twitter users and the microblogging service itself. Hastags grew out of a practice employed by gossipers on Internet Relay Chat (IRC), who used the “#” character to group discussions into channels. Twitter users started doing the same in around 2007, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Demosthenese

Shift-3?

That would be £

1. M Gale

Re: Shift-3?

A friend of mine has a Macbook with a similar US-style keyboard layout. He wanted me to do a quick web page for him. Then I start trying to put #rrggbb colour codes in.

Hash key? What hash key?

Apparently that's a "special character" on a Macbook. Grr.

1. jai

it's not a special character. it's just option-3 instead of shift-3

it's not windows having to type a whole series of numbers to get a Euro symbol

1. M Gale

"it's not a special character. it's just option-3 instead of shift-3"

That means it's a special character. Just like the Euro symbol currently is on most UK keyboards. If you need to perform some arcane sequence of tapping on the magic glyphs, it's a special character.

"it's not windows having to type a whole series of numbers to get a Euro symbol"

You mean ctrl+alt+4? See above about arcane sequences. They're easy... if you know them.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Headmaster

In can has hashtag?

El Reg, there is a typo in the title.... "hastags"

3. C. P. Cosgrove

re : M. Gale

If you think that's bad, try logging on to your e-mails from a French cyber cafe. I must have wasted five minutes the first time I tried it - then I looked at the keyboard. Still, could be worse - I believe the @ symbol is a special character on Italian keyboards.

Chris Cosgrove

4. Simon_Sharwood_Reg_APAC_Editor (Written by Reg staff)

Here in the non-English speaking world - ie the american and strayan speaking world - Shift-3 makes a hash of things. i shall internationalise the second deck nonetheless

1. M Gale
      Trollface

"i shall internationalise the second deck nonetheless"

The hash symbol is reached without even touching the shift key on a standard UK keyboard (that isn't a Macbook). It's the one next to the carriage return key (that is curiously still labelled 'enter' on this example). Holding shift+# results in a ~.

Well, I just had to.

1. Esskay
        Meh

In my house

shift+3 before a word usually results in a punch in the face. particularly when people use it in an entirely twitter-free context.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Re: In my house

It has occasional friendly use: e.g. "Here's that £5,000 I owe you."

BTW - why do the leftpondians refer to # as 'pound' when it's on a phone keypad?

5. Herby

Warning...

Too much data.

Just when you thought it was safe to just look at your OWN data, they come along and bundle it all up with these silly things. I suppose it is OK for bird chirpings that are limited to 0x8C characters or so, but Facebook blatherings don't have much of a limit, and can get big and off the point QUICKLY.

You will get swamped by the "firehose"!

6. Steve Knox
    Coat

#Let's! #Hope!

#Yahoo! #Doesn't! #Follow!

7. Chris 171
    Holmes

Like equivalent..

#justbetter

Bit cheeky but I think #susanalbumparty tipped the balance.

They want it!

8. LinkOfHyrule
    Joke

Sick of all this # stuff

I remember a time when hashtag was just a game of chase played very slowly with lots of snack breaks! Trust twitter to bugger up the meaning, dude!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sick of all this # stuff

I'm an IRC user.

I couldn't get into Twitter 'cause I couldn't figure out how to /join the channels people kept posting.

So I quit.

9. bag o' spanners

Cripes! Those creative marketing chappies must be working round the clock.

#&?Q

10. Elmer Phud

How long?

How long before # is no longer workable due to world+dog chucking # everywhere?

as Twitter slowly becomes an advert farm what's next for 'the best ever' etc.etc.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

#craptags #are #bad #enough #as #it #is. #hopefully #when #everyone #does #their #messages #like #this #they #will #give #up

#fill #their #trackers #with #drivel

1. Candy

You say that like drivel is in short supply on twitter. Or social media in general...

12. Martin
    Thumb Down

I'm definitely getting old....

"That's fun for Reg readers at a conference, or crowds at concerts or sporting events, because it makes it easy to see who else tweeted about the event and what they said."

Why the fuck do I want to tell everyone I'm at a concert? Why the fuck do I want to see who else was tweeting that they were at the concert, and what they saying? You may be sure that all they are saying is "OMG at #xxxxx concert brill!"

There was a time when people went to concerts or sporting events to, y'know, actually watch what's on stage or on the pitch.

13. Electric Panda

I would love to join in the crap hashtag jokes, but I'm on a Mac and thus have no hash key. "hash"FML "hash"YOLO "hash"SUCKSTOBEME

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bangtags?

How about bangtags instead?

On many keybards ( including English and Yankee ) the Exclamation Symbol ( aka bang ) is achieved using Shift + 1 ( for consistency).

1. M Gale

Re: Bangtags?

Also used as a "not" when doing boolean logic. I guess you could use bangtags as the reverse of hashtags?

"just won the lottery today. !FML"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like