back to article VMware NSX mashes up Nicira and homegrown network virt

Having let go of its aspirations to be a player higher up in the systems stack – now that application frameworks, caching software, and other elements of the business have been shuffled off to the new Pivotal group established by parent EMC – VMware is doubling down in the virtualization business, and its top brass were banging …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So VMware are playing catch-up with the SDN that Microsoft released last year as part of Hyper-V Server 2012.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/windowsserver/archive/2012/08/22/software-defined-networking-enabled-in-windows-server-2012-and-system-center-2012-sp1-virtual-machine-manager.aspx

3. vmcreator

LOL = playing catch-up. Unlike NVGRE it will be more advanced, more likely be furnished with advanced firewalling capabilities and have full integration and tuning with other products in its ecosystem.......... and oh it will work more reliably under heavy workloads. VMware raising the bar yet again :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well it isn't at the moment. NVGRE is already out there and working. And already has integrated firewall, security and extensibility in Hyper-V. For free.

As VMware are not even shipping this yet, they are at least a year behind. NVGRE also works with current hardware and routers, whereas VMware's solution requires updated network kit.

I wonder if it will have as many security holes in it as VMware does too? Over 400 in ESX4 versus less than 10 in Hyper-V server 2008....

4. vmcreator

It's simple, the free argument does not hold water. I have many customers that would rather pay than endure vendor lock in and pay for it at a later date.

Nothing in this world is free.

5. vmcreator

VMware NSX = Multi hypervisor and Openstack linkage.

NVGRE = Only Hyper-V ;-(

http://www.blueshiftblog.com/?p=2931

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meet profit targets

I think Wall Street is going to run VMware into the wall like they have many companies before them. VMware is growing, still at a pretty good clip, and they have had to take a massive layoff just to meet profit targets.... They are not an electrical utility, they are supposed to be a growth company. If they keep "managing the business for profit", i.e. cutting everything, increasing/not lowering prices in line with competition, then Microsoft, RH KVM, Oracle, possibly others are going to eat their lunch. Way too early for this company to be trying to hit arbitrary Wall Street profit goals while their competitors are nipping at their heels and it is far from certain who is going to win the VM space race.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like