back to article Google shreds Reader in new round of 'spring cleaning'

Google is killing off Reader, its web-based RSS reading service, as part of its latest round of culling little-used or unprofitable products. A spring clean, if you will. The service will disappear on July 1st, 2013. Google’s reason for the termination, revealed in a blog post, follows: “There are two simple reasons for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. InsaneLampshade
    Unhappy

"concentrate on building great products that really help in their lives"

I do believe they already built such a product. It was called Google Reader.

1. Simon_Sharwood_Reg_APAC_Editor (Written by Reg staff)

Re: "concentrate on building great products that really help in their lives"

You're commenting what I'm thinking - I use reader every day. I always wondered why reader had no ads. Would they kill it if it did?

2. MacRat
      Unhappy

No kidding.

I use this service every day between my laptop, iPhone and Android Phone.

I guess I will have to find a replacement.

3. Nagy, Balázs András

No kidding! As a journalist, Reader was at LEAST 80% of my job. Hell, I'd pay serious money per month to keep it running even now.

4. Jim 59

Baffling decision. GR is the best RSS reader out there and the Android App is great too. It saves me so much time and effort, use it for jobs, news sites, all sorts.

Sad. But on the upside Google will own us a bit less and that feels good already.

What RSS reader are we all shifting too ?

1. Craigness

shifting too?

"too" digg. they're building one in time for the execution.

2. cs94njw
    FAIL

Tried out other apps on Android, didn't really like them. Still use Reader on laptop and android phone, as what I've read stays consistent between each :(

Real bugger :( In my birthday month too - double bugger :( :(

3. William Boyle
    Thumb Down

Farking idiots!

Well, if Google dumps Reader, then I will dump ALL Googly stuff I own, from Android, to gmail (including my business account), to use of Chrome, and anything else Google related (hello Firefox ... again!). I will vote with my wallet!

1. ratfox
      Trollface

Re: I will vote with my wallet!

I am sure Google will regret all the money you were paying them…

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I will vote with my wallet!

Technically speaking you're probably better off buying as many nexus as possible and never use them as they're subsidised.

2. JDX Gold badge

Re: Farking idiots!

Cutting off your nose to spite your face, smart move.

3. Steve Button Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: Farking idiots!

Yeah, right. That's easier said than done isn't it? This has made me realise how strongly I'm glued to Google and if I don't like something they do there's very little I can actually do about it. To move away from the Googleverse would be a huuuuuge upheaval. Fool.

4. Tom from the States
    Unhappy

This is a product for which I am willing to pay.

I have 350+ feeds and with this, was able to dump mailbox-clogging newsletters while having search access via the web and Android. I don't use Facebook and Twitter, either. This is the way to follow technical blogs, sports updates, etc. Not a complete surprise since they are already pulling the plug on iGoogle, but I am seriously bummed.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: This is a product for which I am willing to pay.

I don't use Reader but it's a discontinued product I've actually heard of for a change. And I thought Reader was close to being a standard for RSS so it does seem odd to axe it unless it mysteriously uses a LOT of resources.

Is it a standalone product or integrated with gmail?

1. Jim Willsher

Re: This is a product for which I am willing to pay.

Likewise. At least I've heard of it now, even if only to hear that it has been chopped.

5. Zola
    WTF?

Sod Reader, they've killed CalDAV!

Now you see the logic behind their ActiveSync killing move, which ostensibly wasn't a problem as you could use CalDAV but now it seems Google are pushing users towards their own proprietary protocols rather than using open standards. This is not good.

1. fuzzie
      Thumb Up

Re: Sod Reader, they've killed CalDAV!

My immediate thoughts as well.

When they killed off Exchange Active Sync they told people they're going for open standards and clients should use CalDAV...now they're killing that off as well. Sounds like the walled garden has just added another layer of bricks. Not totally surprising though. They have a habit of open source/standards only when it's convenient.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They are disconnected from real world

When I think of google,I imagine guys sitting in Starbucks developing on xcode with 300 Mbps connection.

They got really big and disconnected from their users/customers just like Redmond.

3. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

I'm surprised by the CalDAV thing as well. Given how they were only just shouting recently about how important open standards were to them, as opposed to nasty old Microsoft.

Having just moved from Windows Phone to iPhone, it was interesting to see that GMail is also worse on iPhone without using EAS. I sort of decided then on a project to slowly move away from Google services. As happens I don't use them for calendaring anyway - I just use them for a few things that were convenient. Given how hard to use the UI has become on GMail, I think I might even dump that as my repository of marketing mail and web-sign-ups too.

I wonder how much fuss there would be if Google one day decided to dump Android? Fanciful I admit... But there's no major threat to their search/advertising monopoly, and they make a huge financial loss, so the only big gain is all that lovely location and usage data they gather from all those mobile data-upload stations handsets. Otherwise Android is a defensive move, plus the hope that they can get into content sales through the Play Store. Given the other things Google do, they're in conflict with the Media industry, as much (if not more) than partnership, which will make it hard to win in that space.

Anyway this post has come out a bit more troll-like than I intended, so I'll stop rambling, shut up and hit post.

4. big_D Silver badge

@Zola, my thoughts too... Plus, I hope they have informed the Microsoft team that is busy adapting Windws Calendar to support CalDAV, now that they have dropped ActiveSync... :

1. Craigness
        Stop

They've not killed CalDAV, they've whitelisted it. I'm sure you'll still be able to use it in Microsoft products.

5. El Andy

Indeed. A more cynical soul might point out that the entire and almost immeadiate "outrage" over Reader disappearing might have been an attempt to smokescreen Google yet again ditching a real open standard after only just a few months ago crowing about how important it was that everyone else adopted it.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
        Happy

El Andy,

You might say that, but I couldn't possibly comment...

On a serious note, Google's PR is sometimes that slick, other times it's absolutely dreadful. So I tend to default to cock-up theory.

6. Ken Y-N
    Flame

This is just the sort of thing Hitler would do!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A25VgNZDQ08

Yes, it's Downfall.

1. FrankAlphaXII
      Facepalm

Re: This is just the sort of thing Hitler would do!

Godwin's Law struck early in this thread....

7. Magani
    Thumb Down

<insert Googly NSFW expression here>

Reader has been the one constant piece of s/ware that keeps me up to date and feeds me my El Reg daily fix for ages. It was unobtrusive and just worked. While I haven't looked recently, nothing else did what I wanted with so little effort across Desktop, laptop, tablet & phone.

A pox upon the House of Google.

1. Jon B

Re: <insert Googly NSFW expression here>

Exactly, you should be reading El Reg on the website, and clicking on all those lovely google provided adverts. Killing Reader makes perfect sense.

1. Craigness
        Thumb Down

Re: <insert Googly NSFW expression here>

El Reg can put as much or as little content in their RSS feed as they choose, and that can include adverts. An RSS reader will only show what's in the feed.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FYI there's a petition

https://www.change.org/petitions/google-keep-google-reader-running

1. Miffo

Re: FYI there's a petition

I did sign it but I wonder why. Google must already know how many people use Reader.

2. Obvious Robert

Re: FYI there's a petition

Current total well past 53,000. Killing Reader obviously not a good PR move on Google's part :)

9. Liam Thom
    Stop

iGoogle

They are killing that too. And that is really useful.

Not going to miss Google Reader - Thunderbird does the same job. Not fair for those that do use it though.

1. SW

Re: iGoogle

Thunderbird and many other desktop software I'm sure are capable.

But that method doesn't work when you use multiple-devices during the course of the day.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge
      Pint

Re: iGoogle

I didn't know Thunderbird does RSS, and it's mostly what I was looking for. Thanks for the tip.

10. Stumpy Pepys
    Unhappy

Boo!

I use Reader to manage podcasts in Google Listen (also technically defunct).

Any ideas for an alternative method for Android?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Boo!

I use Podcatcher.

1. big_D Silver badge

I tried Podcatcher, but I went back to Listen... And doesn't Podcatcher use you Reader feed as well? Or can you set it up to use a different feed?

2. Samuel Penn

I use BeyondPod for podcasts, I could never get Google Listen to work.

1. Argh

Google Listen worked fine for me, but I also use BeyondPod mainly for the smart playlists.

However, as with many RSS based applications, BeyondPod can also synchronise with Google Reader, allowing it to keep track of listened podcasts across multiple devices (luckily they've currently got a beta of their own synchronisation method in testing).

I'll miss Reader though, the ability to use desktop or mobile to efficiently read feeds (and easily mark certain entries as unread to come back to them later on the other device, if necessary) is/was very useful to me.

Flipboard and Feedly just don't work as well for me.

3. Craigness

I tried a lot of them and they're all terrible, but that's mostly because they use the ios design guidelines. Pocket Casts is less terrible now that it's had an almost-holo redesign, and it syncs across devices too. I stuck with Listen for ages because I could listen to podcasts on my laptop through Reader :-)

11. SW
    FAIL

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Subject says it all.

/Goes to cry into his beer/

12. Steve Button Silver badge
    FAIL

Oh FFS.

Just read about this... on Google Reader (on my Android phone)

What are the alternatives please people? Multi devices and keep everything in synch.

13. Big Al
    FAIL

Seriously annoyed

Nuff said.

14. Google

a sad day

That's it, turns out my next device will not be an Android. Voting with my wallet!

Off to check out the Bing Maps API instead...

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge
      Coat

Re: a sad day

Is this yours?

15. Velv
    Big Brother

"If you're not paying for it, you're not the Customer, you're the Product"

And I guess there isn't enough product on the shelf to attract paying customers. Shame, I like reader. It's how I get El Reg

1. Zola

I get feeds on my MeeGo N950 phone

It's got a very nice built-in RSS reader app. Shame the Register RSS feed only contains the heading and first paragraph of each article though - most other RSS feeds contain the entire article. Don't suppose there's any chance of The Reg improving their feed to contain full articles?

1. Ol'Peculier

Re: I get feeds on my MeeGo N950 phone

Can't see it - that would reduce the clicks to the site and reduce advertising revenue.

1. Argh

Re: I get feeds on my MeeGo N950 phone

Just put an ad in to the RSS article. Some of the feeds I follow already do that.

16. southpacificpom
    Pirate

Live by the cloud, die by the cloud...

Liferia or Newsbeuter rules for me.

17. localzuk Silver badge

Cloud

Every time they do this, it makes me fear cloudifying anything at work.

Losing that control and then being completely at the whim of a company that flits from project to project doesn't seem good.

Microsoft are pretty much as bad too.

I think I'll continue to keep things in house!

1. Craigness

Re: Cloud

The cloud is fine, and makes life much easier for people who use multiple devices. We just need to start paying for the services we use.

18. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    Thumb Up

Holy Crap

I hated google reader, and i wanted my RSS Feeds over many devices - so i built my own Cloud-based RSS feed reading system. I need to get on and make it commercially viable now.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Twitter is supposed to be killing off RSS feeds in it's API this month too. Is their some sort of corporate conspiracy against RSS feeds?!?

1. NB

I honestly can't see how twitter could ever replace RSS for feed aggregation. The twitter stream always inevitably ends up getting horribly polluted with shit and the 140 character limit is just too limited for a news feed model. Does anyone know of any other good web based RSS aggregators that work across multiple platforms and devices? (Windows, linux and android preferably).

20. Mr F&*king Grumpy
    FAIL

Google Reader killed off all the competing RSS aggregators through anti-competitive behaviour, and now they're pulling it ?

Oh, and with Snapseed Desktop they're quietly beginning to axe the NIK products they acquired, too.

I'm with Adolf on this one.

21. Chewi

I'm reading this on Reader

Shit.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

3rd party apps

I don't use Reader directly, rather I use a 3rd party client (Caffeinated on the Mac).

I'm sure there are lots of other 3rd party app users that are wondering if their favourite client is now redundant.

23. Alfonso Garcia-Patiño Barbolani
    Unhappy

Destroying trust

I know, I know, it's free so you don't complain because you are getting more than what you're paying for. With free services you are the product, not the service itself. And all that. First was iGoogle, my home page for the last few years. Now is Reader, the place I visit most frequently from my iGoogle home page.

While Google is perfectly free to kill whatever service they want, and to be honest, they do it in a very gentle way, what with giving you a means of exporting your list of feeds, they need to be aware that what they are killing with each "spring cleaning" is not only a few products and services.

What they are destroying is the trust that I, and I suppose many others, had on Google as a "user first" entity that looked for ways of helping people organizing information, turning a nice profit as a side effect.

We have plenty of other companies out there trying to MBA-maximizing short term profits, cross-leveraging their product portfolio to push people to use their offerings designed to maximize the amount of data they can sell and playing dirty tactics to outflank the competition instead of competing on quality. We don't need another, thank you.

Now, I suppose lots of people are rethinking where are they placing their blog posts, their videos, their photos. Because if they can kill an immense popular service like Reader, what's next? Blogger? Picasa? YouTube?

Re: Destroying trust

You've got to wonder about YouTube. By all accounts they make a hefty loss on it, and they haven't managed to turn a profit with more-and-more intrusive advertising, because the bandwidth costs are so high. It also brings them into conflict with the media industry, who they'd like to buddy-up with to sell stuff through Play. Was YouTube one of the reasons they failed to get much content for Google TV?

On the other hand YouTube is one of the most visited sites on the internet, and there would be a great wailing and gnashing of teeth if it went away. Plus it may be they're closer to making a profit (or at least breaking even) than people think.

2. Miffo

Re: Destroying trust

>what's next? Blogger? Picasa? YouTube?

They are getting rid of Picasa! The web part of it anyway. They're trying to encourage you to move over to Google+. I'm sure its removal will follow.

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/9680126717/picasa-redirect-google

24. ddm
    Unhappy

First Notebook, now Reader...

Anyone know any good RSS readers? Preferably browser-based like Reader.

1. Craigness

Re: First Notebook, now Reader...

Notebook was excellent. Docs is no replacement.

25. Oeri2007
    Go

An alternative?

Been trying out Feedly this morning. Looks like I'll be using this as a drop in replacement for reader in the future.

1. Tim Walker

Re: An alternative? (Feedly)

I'm looking at Feedly at the moment, partly as it offers both a Web interface and an iOS app, but also because it can link up to Google Reader (so hopefully I can lift-and-shift my feeds, etc. over to Feedly with minimal hassle).

Perhaps I'm overlooking it (perhaps to be expected, as I'm new to Feedly), is that I can't find the option to set up a distinct Feedly account, as opposed to "piggybacking" on your Google login. Given that I'm joining Feedly BECAUSE Google is retiring Reader, I don't want my Feedly setup - if I stay with them - to have any dependence on the Chocolate Factory.

Perhaps if I get the Feedly app on my iPhone, it might give me the chance to create an account there?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Feedly say they have their own cloned backend which will be dropped in as reader is phased out. At the moment, they sync with Reader, and claim that the switch will be seemless (apart from maybe creating a seperate passworm)

1. frank ly

I now have Feedly running as a Firefox plugin under Windows and as Android apps on tablet and phone. A Chrome plugin and iOS app are also available. It uses my Google login to pull Google Reader feed subscriptions across and as stated above, they are developing their own backend to give a seamless handover when Google kill Reader. Not sure how I'll 'login' when that happens.

Feedly is a bit 'graphic artist' and is full of space between items. There is a 'list' view that seems to work in the FF plugin but I always get the 'magazine' view in the Android app and they seem very keen to put great big photos everywhere. The Google Reader had wonderfully sparse and simple layout and I miss it already, even though it's not dead yet.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Pint

Feedly is very nice - better than Reader. Just downloaded it when I read the comments here on my Android - much better in that it opens links directly inside Feedly - no need to navigate back and forth between browser and Reader.

Feedly is definitely a drop-in replacement - it grabbed all my feeds from Reader instantly. I installed it, told it I was a Reader user, and instantly all my feeds were there. Seems to load material faster than Reader as well. Kind of glad this happened - otherwise I wouldn't have found a better reader.

26. Vitani

No­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o­o!

27. frank ly

If we're so smart .....

I was annoyed to learn that iGoogle will be withdrawn and now am more annoyed that Reader will go the same way. As for CalDAv, I don't think I use it but I can imagine why people are pissed off. Many commentards here are venting their spleen (and other bodily parts) so, if we're so smart, what can we do about it?

Would it be viable to develop a cloud based service that gives synchronised data/feeds/services using apps across many platforms to replace these lost services? How much would any of you be prepared to pay to subscribe to such a service?

Please, put a business plan together and Kickstart it or something. I'd be interested in subscribing to such a service but I suspect that we'll all develop new ways of working/consuming and get used to whatever new personal arrangements we make.

28. Ilgaz

Sarcasm right?

"Happily, users can extract their RSS subscriptions and use them in another reader using Google Takeout."

Until next spring cleaning...

1. Craigness
      Facepalm

Re: Sarcasm right?

Take Out is a major thing for them; it's how they differentiate themselves from the likes of Facebook. So it won't go away, but Reader will die before next spring so get your data soon.

29. Tim Walker

CalDAV?

I'm not sure, but I think CalDAV is the route by which my iPhone syncs contacts (at least) with my Google account - am I right, or does iOS use CalDAV for syncing with any Google PIM data?

Re: CalDAV?

CalDAV is for the calendar (if you use it). CardDAV is how your iPhone syncs it's contacts with GMail. And then there's IMAP for the emails. As I understand it, since they killed Exchange Active Sync for new users, you now have to set up 2 accounts to connect your iPhone to Google.

The GMail account set-up in the iPhone is set up to sync mail and calendars, so it may be that the Google Calendar API is already used, rather than CalDAV. You then set up the second account to sync contacts by CardDAV.

If you set your iPhone up before January this year, then it can do all 3 using EAS - and the deadline for killing that has been extended (that's how my iPad works). But if you've set up a new iPhone since (as I have) then you have to do it a different way. Messy.

1. Tim Walker

Re: CalDAV?

Ah, CardDAV - I was getting mixed up with that. I re-checked the iPhone settings, and I'm pretty sure the setup there is how you described it (GMail for mail/calendars, CardDAV for contacts).

I was nervous that Google might be doing something rash and ill-advised by canning CalDAV - as the Reader announcement shows, it wouldn't be the first time :-(

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Welcome to the cloud

Web or cloud services aren't yours to own. Software is yours to use for as long as it works.

This is the whole problem with cloud services. I'm sure Stallman would have an angle on this.

31. Piro Silver badge

Ah hah!

My friends laughed at me when I didn't bother using any type of aggregator, because frankly I like passing the time pressing F5 and typing URLs.

Now it paid off, life goes on; because Reader was the one recommended as being godly.

32. LesB
    Thumb Down

New sync services needed....

It's not so much Reader itself going away as the API used by various desktop and mobile apps to sync feeds across multiple devices. Some of those apps will still work, but without the sync (such as NetNewsWire), others seem to have been designed as Google Reader clients (such as Reeder), and seem likely to break horribly...

The long-established FeedDemon won't be developed any further (http://nick.typepad.com/blog/2013/03/the-end-of-feeddemon.html), others may follow.

There's definitely scope for a service to sync RSS - I'd pay for that...

1. Tim Walker

Re: New sync services needed....

I'm giving Feedly a whirl at the moment (as a potential GR replacement), and it looks like it could do the trick, except it bothers me that Feedly appears to "piggyback" on Google's authentication, and I can't find a way to set up a "discrete" (separate) Feedly account.

Any other "cloud-based" RSS aggregators (with or without iOS app) that can import OPML from GReader, but don't depend on it in any other way?

33. Mark McC
    Stop

I first heard this news through Google Reader

About half my daily desktop web browsing comes from Reader, and almost 100% of my Android phone and tablet browsing comes from articles linked in Reader. Being the only service I know that seamlessly syncs across all devices, I'm going to miss it.

And what of all the news aggregation sites and blogger types who use Reader as their main source of finding stories? Before those stories filter up into the web2.0 world of retweets, Likes and (lol) +1's someone has to find them and get the ball rolling. Reader is one of the most convenient and well-established sources for doing that.

34. Dazzz
    Alert

hmmm

I read the news and was rather pissed off, as someone who is something of a news/information junkie Reader was a nice way to get through lots of feeds quickly and easily at work and home.

Now i'm thinking, why bother, get some time back and just ignore lots of the shit that passes for news these days and do something a little more productive...

35. Blacklight
    WTF?

Arse.

I love Reader. I was most upset when they lost the ability to share a select list of posts (outside G+) but could cope with that.

I then used it to help a blogger who had moved (and lost) all their posts - I exported their entire archive for them from Reader, and lo, they managed to import them onto their newly hosted blog.

Don't kill it!

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Arse.

It's not open source?

36. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Joke

In 2020...

It's Google spring cleaning time again!

As per usual we're killing off our least used products. This time around those are gmail, AdWords, and Search. The Google domain itself will redirect to Starbucks which is were you'll be able to find us all. We hope the minor inconvenience to the customers of our least used services won't affect your overall enjoyment of your Google experience. Ask for a triple frothy cloudy and get a 10% Googly discount!

37. David Cantrell
    Alert

What's that you say? You relied on a free service with no SLA provided by an advertising company? And you expected things to go well? Bwahahahahahaha!

Facepalm

Ah yes, I do love a helpful comment... Thanks for your contribution.

38. Ol'Peculier
    FAIL

Not happy

I've been using Reader for years, probably the third most used Google product after search and mail. Obviously the resources it was consuming is too much and isn't being adequately supported by ad revenue, but the "if it works, don't fix it" mantra should have stepped in.

Not happy at all. It's how I've been consuming my news from tech, local news sites, F1, & all sorts for years. Hell, we've got a decent number of subscribers for our RSS feed that contains new products added to our site.

39. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Truly pathetic.

Truly pathetic how everyone bitches about Google using harvesting all their information blah blah blah, and totally forgetting all the free stuff they get, those same people then go off crying like children when those free services are culled.

It's a give and take relationship with Google. You get lots of free stuff in exchange for a little personal information.

Or did you REALLY expect to give nothing and get lots of free stuff?

Re: Truly pathetic.

Well that's all very well. Except they're killing the free services, while still harvesting the data.

Also if Google do something, and give it away for free, then they could kill or damage existing, and stop new, paid-for services getting to market.

Actually I'm starting to wonder if we should look seriously at banning and/or regulating a lot of free services. It can be very market distorting if companies offer stuff for free, when they're getting their cash from a different-but-related market. Look at 'free' mobile phones on contract for example. Customers end up paying much more for the phones, get locked into long contracts and the features available on phones get dictated by the telcos rather than the customers. It was also bad for the environment as people updated and threw away perfectly good dumb phones each year, just to get the latest shiny that was little different. As happens the market somewhat corrected, as the manufacturers and telcos got a righteous spanking from Apple.

Obviously it's up to Google how they run the their company. I don't believe the shareholders get much of a say, as the executives own disproportionate amounts of voting stock compared to the financial value of their holdings. But if they do an awful lot of stuff for the information or the customer goodwill, and still make almost all their cash from advertising. They probably don't want to get a reputation as behaving completely randomly though. You gain some nice PR from giving things away for free, but you create more bad-feelings from stopping a free service than you created goodwill when you started it. Do that too often and you're basically spending money on anti-marketing...

1. Craigness

Re: Truly pathetic.

You overlooked:

They still have free services.

They don't harvest data with services that don't exist.

40. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Perhaps I am missing something..

1/ export feeds as OPML

2/ Import OPML into something else (Opera for example).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Perhaps I am missing something..

Except they already killed export as OPML

1. Craigness

End the FUD

Export as OPML is still there. First, create a "bundle". Then export the bundle.

41. thecapsaicinkid

I'm guessing we'll see Currents for the web now with support for custom feeds. There's no way they're culling for anything other than the introduction of a new product. I expect podcast support will be featured in somewhere as well.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Currently already HAS custom feeds.....

At least mine does...

2. Obvious Robert
      Unhappy

Listen

My main use of Reader is for the Android podcast app Listen. They neutered Listen last year by taking away the search function but it was still easy enough to add podcast feeds manually. Reader now going altogether will sadly make my favourite (non-browser) app totally useless :(

Can Google Currents handle podcasts?

1. Andrew Woodvine

Re: Listen

I use DoggCatcher as a Listen alternative. It does everything Listen does and more, and you can import your podcast feeds from Reader.

1. Obvious Robert
          Thumb Up

Re: Listen

Thanks Andrew, I've got DoggCatcher on my list to try, along with some other names I've picked up: Stitcher, PocketCast, BeyondPod and Podkicker. I basically just want something that's easy to add a custom RSS link to, will download the podcasts automatically and if necessary store them until I get round to catching up on them two months later! I shouldn't be too difficult to please.

And on the question of whether Google Currents will do Podcasts, the answer turns out to be Yes... and No. It's fairly simple to add an RSS feed and listen to a *current* edition of a podcast. From what I can make out, there's no facility to listen to older episodes or store them in any way. The clue is in the name I suppose :/

42. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One more reason to dump my android phone and go back to a Nokia 6310. Just how long will the networks still support it? Oh sod it , anyone got a link so I can learn semaphore?

43. RonWheeler
    WTF?

First iGoogle, now this

So last year I spent an age transferring all my RSS stuff over from iGoogle to Reader. Shouldn't have bothered - they're killing this too. Won't be trusting Google any more with any hosted services. Tempted to close our work Postini account too so we can implement a graceful exit strategy before they pull the rug out from under us there.

44. ElNumbre
    Flame

Blackjack

I'm going to make my own Google Reader, with Blackjack, and Hookers.

Ahh, forget the reader.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like