back to article Photonic router vendor exits stealth-mode, sparks hypegasm

Without the obligatory hype from the "every great business starts with venture capital" press, it is an interesting proposition: that turning integrated electro-optical chips into the basis of a router yields a faster device that's smaller, uses less power, and generates less heat. That's what's being claimed by US-Israeli …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ChaosFreak
    Mushroom

Simpsons Did It

Chiaro Networks built this ten years ago. They had a petabit-class all-optical router actually working in the field in 2003. Problem was, no one needed anything that powerful back then. Too early to the market, run out of cash, dead.

1. John Miles 1

Re: Simpsons Did It

Not quite - I think it was an optical switch - just switched wavelengths between different directions, no packet switching. I saw the prototype, a monster of a device. Chi-Ro (?) was bought by Nortel, who then crashed in 2009, but similar functionality now available as a small ROADM module from many vendors.

2. James Micallef Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Patent!

Wow, a real patent for a real innovation! These days they're as rare as a non-European pope.

What? Oh!

3. tempemeaty
    Thumb Up

Looks at watch...

I wonder how long before we see Chinese made knock offs once Compass-EOS gets their factory in China producing the equipment for them. Sounds like awesome technology though, I wish them the all the best with this!

1. JCitizen
      Megaphone

Re: Looks at watch...

Chances are the Chinese have already stolen the design using industrial espionage, and are cranking out illegal knock offs already.

This topic is closed for new posts.