back to article GoDaddy gone, daddy: Websites go titsup in server assault

A number of websites hosted by GoDaddy were blasted offline this week in a distributed denial-of-service attack. The company's servers in Europe struggled under the volley on Monday afternoon and continued to suffer until yesterday evening after GoDaddy installed network traffic filters to block the assaults. UK customers …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JDX Gold badge

Ah that's what it was

I had a friendly email from Google this morning saying they hadn't been able to index my site.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Who have

GoDaddy upset?

2. Gabor Laszlo
    Flame

Let them burn

I say, they've always been a haven for squatters and adware.

3. Jan Hargreaves
    Mushroom

If you will pick the cheapest service... then you get what you didn't pay for. Move to a proper host.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Cheapest?

I wouldn't call nodaddy's service cheap, it's actually more expensive compared to few other hosting and domain providers, not to mention all the bullshit they want to up-sell you at a ridiculous price for an even more ridiculer service.

4. No. Really!?
    Coat

Given the general thrust of their marketing, I'm surprised GoDaddy doesn't go down more often!

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Given the general thrust of their marketing

Yup. Correct statement right there.. :)

5. tempemeaty

I figured no one cared about GoDaddy enough a DDoS on them anymore. I wonder if it's more the same old same old or did they do something new to hork off world wide interweb netizens.

6. Liam Thom
    FAIL

Foreign muck

Serves people right for not buying British.

7. Fogcat

never hosted anything with GoDaddy but have registered domains and they're certainly persistent in trying to get "extras" added on to your order before you reach the checkout page.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Namecheap for me every time. You should never host where your domains are anyway...keep 'em separate.

9. McVirtual
    FAIL

Again!

Yet another reason why the Public Cloud space is so immature and risky.

When will people learn?

Unless you go to someone with a truly Enterprise Public Cloud offering you can only cross your fingers that your business will remain intact...

/end rant

10. Not Fred31
    FAIL

godaddy... the ryanair of the Internet

If you're using them, you've only got yourself to blame.

11. Hans 1
    Windows

Microsoft Windows to Blamer

Did they not move to Windows some time ago ? Self-immune DDOS attack sounds like Windows, to me ...; -)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not to worry

I suspect some hackers are going to mysteriously vanish from the planet...

13. h3

Sounds like it was a response to international women's day by some group or other.

14. Belardi

GoDaddy is one of the WORST companies to do business with! They are con-artist. They steal domains and offer to sell them back to you at rip-off prices.

A client of mine, who was hosted/reg by another very STUPID company with his .COM address waited on purpose for it to expire so he could get control of his domain and put it elsewhere (cough *Joker*) because over the course of many years, his email address had died (company changed names) and he lost his PW info. Couldn't fax or email proof of ownership since Joker.net is not an english speaking company.

So someone else set up this client of mine to use GoDaddy with the .net. This name of this domain is attached to a family name that isn't common attached to a general word. There is no other company in the USA that could make use of the domain. But with GoDaddy, they snapped up the .com and now want $9,000 USD for the domain!?!

Its not something simple like abc / santa / bard etc... its a tiny site with 5 pages that gets little business.

GoDaddy = CRIMINALS!

15. southpacificpom
    Devil

Wonder if the Linux Action Show / Techsnap will feature the GoDaddy troubles seeing as it's their main sponsor?

16. Displacement Activity

And in more interesting news...

PointDNS lost all its DNS servers for several hours on Tuesday morning. They blamed it on a DDOS attack, saying it "definitely originated in China" (with no details). My email and sites were down all morning.

Connected?

17. aqk
    Devil

Just shoot more elephants.

Parsons. The T&A Elephant killer.

Who would ever buy web-hosting from him?

18. diederik

Attack on Godaddy

From now on we may assume that Godaddy's service is deteriorating. Abnormal upselling, stealing domain names and now repeatedly not taking the right security measures to protect their web servers. Godaddy really sucks more and more than ever before. http://usa.weloveourhost.com/godaddy.html offers you another horror story. Happy reading!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like