back to article Boffins build robo-CHIMP for DARPA challenge

The latest entrant to DARPA's $2m Robotics Challenge is a four-limbed robot with near-human strength and the dexterity to climb ladders or use tools. CHIMP robot Don't try and feed it a banana The CMU Highly Intelligent Mobile Platform (CHIMP) from Carnegie Mellon University uses mounted tracks on each triple-jointed limb …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Boffin

So is it a tele operated remote handler or a true robot?

The former will need 1 or more joystick jockeys to do the clever bits. The latter something along the lines of a "Climb that ladder" command and it just does it.

1. Alister

Re: So is it a tele operated remote handler or a true robot?

The article says Robotic entrants for the $2m prize must be able to operate without a power line or wired connection so I'm guessing the latter.

1. monkeyfish

wired connection, not wireless. wireless coms is probably a given. Nice mock up of the ladder climbing though, doesn't even need to hold on, apparently.

1. Pet Peeve
          Terminator

There seem to be some kind of hooks on its "knees" for climbling latters. Interesting design, if a bit terrifying.

2. Chemist

"So is it a tele operated remote handler or a true robot? "

Both

""Humans provide high-level control, while the robot provides low-level reflexes and self-protective behaviors. This enables CHIMP to be highly capable without the complexity associated with a fully autonomous robot.""

2. Blofeld's Cat
    Terminator

Anything?

"In a pinch, it can do anything"

OK let's see it put together an Ikea wardrobe. It seems to have the appropriate number of "hands" anyway.

1. Rob
      Terminator

Re: Anything?

That'll be version 2, it'll have an extra pair of arms and more processing power to deal with interpreting the vague instructions.

1. DJV Silver badge
        Trollface

Re: Anything?

And it will need the wireless connection and voice processing to contact Ikea and ask where there missing parts are.

3. Crisp

I want one!

Preferably equipped with an on board set of tools like Johnny 5 had.

1. The Serpent

Re: I want one!

Although I'm sure everyone would appreciate it if they changed the design from that of Johnny 5 - specifically so the tools don't look like are stored in his cock

4. bgj
    FAIL

Judging by the daylight between the tracks and the ladder it falls over or can levitate

5. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

Try and Try Again

Don't try and to feed it a banana.

Fixed that for you.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like