back to article Dell's having a fiddle with Violin Memory - but will it flash the cash?

Last week was all about the flash - with Plextor, Violin Memory, EMC, Samsung and Seagate all involved in the action. But what do you think about Dell making its dalliance with Violin Memory into something a little more permanent? Cello Bow Let's construct a staircase and see where it takes us. Step 1: In November 2012, Dell …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. M Debelic

2B$

Judging from past events and interviews, my guess is that Dell (if its still Michael running the show) will find 2B$ to be too pricey (like Data Domain or 3PAR) and will end up buying a less valued competitor of Violin's like Nimbus Data, Whiptail or similar - believing that they made "a deal". (like Compellent).

Someone like HP, NetApp, HDS or even EMC will eventually pickup Violin Mem.

my 0,02cents

m.

2. John H Woods Silver badge
    Coat

Well...

... it would be another string to their bow

3. Assumed Name
    FAIL

Really?

Dell needs Nimble, not Violin. Who in their right mind believes that Dell will be successful selling a product targeted at the high end of the market? Dell has a dismal record when it comes to storage acquisitions. Look up ConvergeNet. $340 million in 1999 for NOTHING.

This is should be encouraging to the two principals at Violin. For them, this would be a big win. For everyone else, not so much.

4. bigdata
    Thumb Up

A bit of a waste for Violin to go to Dell

But frankly, what's so hard about what Nimble, Whiptail, Skera of the world do? They're somewhere in between fast enough and bulk storage. Not much intelligence or IP there.

I think Violin is positioned well for a bigger acquisition, with both SAS and NAS products, great IP and management. If they have a good IPO and good sales, it would almost be a shame for them to get bought out before the fun begins in a year or two, because they have such a lead in the space.

I think this is a hockey stick growth story.

1. Man Mountain

Re: A bit of a waste for Violin to go to Dell

Is there a lot of IP in Violin? Don't they just use Symantec for the functionality? I think the hockey stick growth opportunity for Violin has been and gone ... this market is getting more competitive daily and there are players appearing with much bigger teeth than Violin. When EMC, IBM and HP really get their act together them the smaller players will struggle.

1. bigdata
        Thumb Up

Re: A bit of a waste for Violin to go to Dell

Symantec is for backup.

I think everyone agrees growth is still to come in the next year or two.

When the big boys wake up, they'll have to buy their way in.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cisco

Cisco's done a number of benchmarks with Violin memory driving the storage side. Can the UCS portfolio be without a flash in-house? Can Cisco do this without pissing off EMC and NetApp in the process?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like