back to article Red wine may be ELIXIR OF YOUTH

The medicinal properties of the odd glass of red wine have long been document, and embraced. But now an international team of boffins has published a paper asserting that a particular compound found in red can activate an anti-ageing protein. The substance in question is called resveratrol and it has long been suspected of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. et tu, brute?
    Joke

Bring on the cases of red!

“You'd need to have such large amounts from red wine that you'd probably kill off your liver and be drunk most of the time”

No harm trying though!

1. Katie Saucey
      Thumb Up

Re: Bring on the cases of red!

Way ahead of you. The bonus is that time on the liver transplant list passes much faster when you're sloshed! (maybe work too, can't quite remember).

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

spellchecker! \o/

As one commentard has noted some time ago - mocking in public is much more fun :) Mind it, I'm not a native English speaker... Very far from it. Take everything with a grain of salt. A good grain.

"The medicinal properties of the odd glass of red wine have long been documentED, and embraced."

So, is it "resveratrol" or "reservatrol" and "sirtuins" or "sirtiuns"?

"...it has long been suspected of bEing able to activate..."

1. frank ly

Re: spellchecker! \o/ -> Caps checker :)

See title

2. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: spellchecker! \o/

As I was reading the article, I was thinking the same thing.

Apparently, the editor never had much use for a spiel clacker. Smell Chucker. Erm, SPELL CHECKER.

Granted, I'm not a native English speaker, I speak US English. ;)

3. Chris Hawkins
    Linux

What about G&T's?

Can we now, please, have some research on the properties of G&T's??

If similiar results ensue, the wife will be eternally grapeful!!!

4. Arrrggghh-otron

What age would that be?

"diseases that become prevalent with the onset of age"

That sounds fairly indiscriminate to me...

5. MatsSvensson

But there is still...

...many rivers to cross,

before we can reach that goal.

6. PT

Alternative vector

Resveratrol capsules, 100mg, $15 for 120 at my local grocery store. According to the writing on the bottle, 1 capsule equals 100 glasses of red wine. Not as much fun, but a considerably cheaper way of getting it if you believe in that sort of thing..

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Alternative vector

For that matter, it's possible to eat the damn grapes in the first place rather than throwing most of the good stuff (including soluble fiber and the skins, which is where the resveratrol is concentrated) away and substituting water and toxic ethanol. Mind you, I have no problem with folks enjoying the occasional glass of the red stuff (though I don't care for it m'self), but why all this nonsense - by researchers as well as members of the press - that this is about the benefits of wine? I'd think the psychological benefits of being honest about why you drink the wine outweigh the tiny amount of resveratrol or other health-promoting compounds in it, even without taking the alcohol into account.

Of course, grapes also contain a significant amount of sugar, which is definitely an issue for some folks. And apparently synthesized resveratrol has higher bioavailability. Still, if I were aiming to get my youth elixir from food, I'd start with red grapes rather than grape-derived beverages.

This topic is closed for new posts.