back to article Irish Senator suggests net users register passport and IP address

A Parliamentary committee hearing in the Republic of Ireland on “the abuse of social media and cyber-bullying” has heard a proposal to control trolls and other unsavoury online creatures by registering internet users with their passport numbers or IP addresses. The Committee also heard an idea to charge internet users to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. koolholio
    Pirate

Autonomous systems...

To the comment-bay! lol

2. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

In other news, id cards passports to be compulsory.

1. Tim Bates

Yep... I personally don't have a passport. Never needed it.

Of course I'm in Australia anyway, so these laws won't effect me... Until I want to post on an Irish website. Or until Julia decides it's a flaming fantastic idea.

3. frank ly

A better idea

Every politician should have to pay to make public statements, of any kind. In the comfort of their Parliament building (or whatever it's called locally) it would be free to brain fart all day, among their own kind.

4. AlmightyCushion

Irish person here. Just to clear things up a little, Senators in Ireland have no real powers. They act purely as advisors to the government. While there are some smart people in the Seanad, there are also plenty of idiots and, as you can imagine, she falls into the latter group. Thankfully, no one with any real power will even bother to consider this.

5. Elmer Phud

Charges to the Reg?

How much is my fee for sparking off long threads about Mac/V's MS or one of the interminable penguin fancier noise fests?

After all, if the Reg is gonna charge the punters I ought to get a slice.

Troll icon as a badge of honour for services to the Reg?

6. Brent Longborough
    Thumb Up

The luck of the Irish

Wow, in your country do you have one IP address *each*? That's brilliant.

7. dephormation.org.uk
    Unhappy

Freedom of speech

... with a price list? :(

8. David 45
    FAIL

Twaddle

I don't have a passport and does everybody now have to have a fixed IP address?...........Next crackpot, please!

9. Tim Bates

Who's charging though? And who's IP address is it?

I understand the idea behind pay-per-post... But who wins there? Is it a government fee? Does the website just pocket it? And since the internet is international, would this mean all websites available in Ireland suddenly need to have credit card facilities?

And just who's passport do you register for a company or school that does NAT and all users share an address? Does the head of the school get dragged off to gaol if little Billy sits down at lunch time and uses the school computers to harass the nerd in his class via Facebook?

10. Pete the not so great
    Thumb Down

ArseBiscuits

Polititards!

This topic is closed for new posts.