back to article LIVE BLOG: Facebook News Feed revamp press conference

So, another month, another Facebook press conference. After the sort-of launch of Graph Search just over a month ago, Facebook is about to revamp another facet of its network: the News Feed. El Reg is expecting some tough questions on this one. The News Feed is coming under increasing scrutiny at the moment, after Facebook …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

??

"Around 35 per cent of users don't use chat because their screens aren't big enough, so that's moved to a tray at the bottom of the page. Cox says this might lead to more chatting from people with older PCs."

My 1280*1024 screen has plenty of white space to the side on the FB page - about 30% of the entire screen is empty... but thinking about it that might be where the totally annoying, off topic, repetitive and sometimes offensive adverts used to be before I blocked them.

2. M Gale

Welcome to our tobacco free campus?

I recommend Halo's "Ultra Tank" portable vape. Forty quid for a kit including two batteries and three refillable cartomisers. Add in some 24mg/ml nicotine fluid and you're done.

It's also neither tobacco, nor smoking.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Welcome to our tobacco free campus?

But its not very popular with coach passengers... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-18719962

1. M Gale

Re: Welcome to our tobacco free campus?

Yeah, I saw that one. That's why you click the button five times to turn it off before stowing it in your suitcase.

Though to have made enough smoke to billow out of the coach, with nobody sucking through it.. that must have been one hell of a vape. Possibly more like the Volcano herbal vapes than an e-liquid vape, especially since the e-cigs and vapes by the likes of VIP and Halo have a 7-10 second safety cut-off. "Health aid for smokers" indeed.. naughty boy.

Did the passengers all stop off at the nearest pizza shop afterwards?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When did big PR events become so popular? it seems ever since the iPhone was launched they've been covered more and more when in reality there's sod all of any real importance about them.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

More narcissistic wank... You can thank the media for this!

I always wondered why FB is such a darling of the media?

Then someone pointed out in another post that its because media types love this sh*t! They have all day to surf around Twitter and Facebook and Foursquare and PInterest, and all the other new narcistic wink we haven't even heard of yet... All the while the rest of us are actually doing real work!

4. VinceH

Aww, that's a shame. What terrible timing. I've just deleted my account* so won't get to see the improvements.

* For values of "deleted my account" that almost certainly include it being archived forever on their servers.

5. dssf

Why don't I chat?

" 10:27am Around 35 per cent of users don't use chat because their screens aren't big enough, so that's moved to a tray at the bottom of the page. Cox says this might lead to more chatting from people with older PCs. "

I don't chat, on fb especially, because the UI in android SUCKS. If I hit the wrong key, the cursor/pointer jumps out of the box, and midstream of typing, obeys a command corresponding to the letter the cursor landed on.

Sometimes, crappy implementation, intrpretation, or execution of javascript or crappy javascript prevent/s pasting, and i sometimes have to turn of javascript, which sometimes aborts the logged-in session credentials, etc.

Years ago, there was one social site i was in, and if i did not get my message sent within a minute or two, even midstream in typing, the damned server side would disconnect me, and if i did not periodically copy my own text, i'd find the ui bombed and no way to go into the phone's memory to paste into a new logged-in-sesson. It was so stressful i became good at keeping up, but then just gave up.

It's shitty implementation, not just fb, but many sites. When I'm in fb, i feel fb wants to steer me to their own UI, not the browser I WANT to use. When I'm in firefox, it feels like google wants me to be in Chrome. When in forums, their admins force the use of javascript, and then use it as a crutch of security process.

So, it is just easier to read, grab a url, and walk away. It is really exasperating. All those brains and payrolls out there, and the experience sometimes just goes to shit because of politics and branding and rushed code.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why don't I chat?

@dssf

"It is really exasperating. All those brains and payrolls out there, and the experience sometimes just goes to shit because of politics and branding and rushed code."

I just laugh now when Facebook gets stuck in some kind of endless JS loop: where a page of photos never loads, or a person-search goes off to oblivion, or the activity log only shows the current month! Such simple functionality, yet it poses such a challenge to a web app. An equivalent desktop app would crush it-- in a word, its feeble!!!!

Alas, if we only had a simple toolkit that truly worked across different devices, OS's, and all browsers... We need to go back to something simple. Something that is decidable, something that can be predicted easily. Otherwise security (never mind simple UI) is going to become more and more problematic just to provide some stupid social-networking app that barely does anything anyway. But that's not where we're heading and it drives me nuts too!

Yet here we are, oh cloud cloud cuckoo-land. In articles this week people were slating MS and Office 2013. Yes ok, I want to move my users to the cloud but only if I can promise them at least the same feature set of MS-Office from 10 years ago. That means having at least some VBA macros support where web-possible. But here with Office 2013-- Nada! The web = hype!

I believe a far shame of blame is due to the rush to get away from established player's tools at the onset of the net.... Over time more and more glue was added to web tools with more and more revisions of standards. All of this has led to a perfectly wonderful multi-tier multi-vendor Swiss cheese web. I relish the days I could just write an app and knew it would work as expected without dealing with complex security holes.

Two cases in point: SQL Injection attacks and cross site scripting attacks. It boggles the mind how these were so easily exploited for so long. Once people got comfortable with writing code for different browsers and different versions of browsers the whole playing field changed again. Even when there are standards for cross-compatibility there's always bugs, and it takes painstaking prototyping to weed these out, until yet again the standards and versions change and we start all over again.

6. Barry Rueger
    Paris Hilton

I Am Filled With Dread

As a Facebook user from pretty near Day One, I feel qualified to say that EVERY time that FB changes stuff, they break it. Could you imagine Google designing an ad placement system that encourages users to post complaints and negative comments right below the ad? Can you recall Google repeatedly handling user privacy in a such a ham-handed fashion that even the people who don't care about privacy get angry? Can you imagine any corporation the size of Facebook that can't even manage to push out a functioning mobile app?

I am absolutely sure that these changes will just make Facebook one more order of magnitude irritating.

Given their resources, and the size of their user base, Facebook should have an interface - on my desktop and on my phone - that's second to none.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: I Am Filled With Dread

I find the UI on Facebook bizarre. Not helped by only logging in about once a month, so they probably make a major UI change for every 2 or 3 times I use it...

The other odd thing is just how piss-poor their advertising is. The majority of ads that I notice are obvious scams (free iPhones, penis enlargement and the like. To be fair, I've given them almost no information, so the only way to target ads at me is to make assumptions from my 'friends' (mostly family). But the ads are so awful that I wouldn't click on a legitimate ad that I saw, even if it was the best deal in the world for something I was planning to buy anyway, because I'd just assume it was fraudulent. Surely FBs corporate clients don't want to be associated with that stream of shite, so until they clear the obvious scams out, how will they ever make seriou money from the ads?

On the other hand, when I read Dilbert cartoons online, Scott Adams only seems to take advertising from people who are either selling diet pills or the pop-up that says, 'I earn £450 a day in 5 minutes work from home'. So it's a bit rich that he spends all his time in his cartoon criticising immoral corporations for lying to their customers...

1. Steve the Cynic

Re: FB ads.

I go on FB a couple of times a week, mostly to check what new stuff my favorite manga shop has received that week. I, like you, haven't given much information (where I live, when I was born, and that I'm a bloke), and I get mostly ads for "meet women in your area" "services", featuring pictures of (admittedly attractive) women young enough to be my daughters. Maybe if I told FB that I'm married this would change...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

We need a well-known comedian or someone like that to lampoon FB, and demonstrate to the world just how feeble FB and FB apps are... What happens now is we all suffer in silence and FB management are never taken to task. And the media isn't helping either just hyping. Where are the impartial articles on privacy considerations....?

7. ukgnome

Facebook News Feed revamp press conference?

Bitches! eat this news feed

*fixed it for you.

8. dotdavid

Mission

Gotta love their "Our Mission: To Make The World More Open And Connected" in that photo.

Surely allowing people to easily download their Facebook data would be a quick and easy way of achieving that mission...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Mission

I wrote to the Irish regulator about The Download Facebook data feature, as it was omitting at least three-quarters of my email messages from the download. But they were too busy with Guinness training for Paddy's Day! What they said was: as long as Facebook lets you access your old messages then the download feature doesn't have to work.

I pointed out that trawling through old emails was cumbersome at best, never mind the email search, which was so feeble it didn't work unless the emails were already on the current page. They said FB-I isn't required to do any more and neither are they. Comforting! I deleted all personal info the next week... I'll use that platform when I have to for PM's and that's it!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

...You were tagged in X's post with 100+ Others....

In this brave new world of social networking where everyone screams and no one listens, I've noticed a worrying trend i.e.

"You were tagged in X's post with 100+ Others...."

This has stemmed out of people's desperation to get OTHERS to read their posts... So involuntarily involving 'Others' that had absolutely nothing to do with that original post.

I sarcastically suggest that someone should tag world-class homophobic jocks in posts related to a GAY RIGHTS MARCH! That way maybe some jock will beat-up Zuckerburg and force that *bitch* to fix this!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like