back to article Microsoft about-face: Office 2013 license IS transferable now

In a reversal of its previously announced policy, Microsoft says it is altering the terms of the retail Office 2013 license to remove the clause that permanently tied each installation of the suite to a single PC. "Based on customer feedback we have changed the Office 2013 retail license agreement to allow customers to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pretty obvious they're simply trying to save face.

Locking to a single PC would be a stupid move with the EU's right to resell software.

1. Kevin Johnston

Too True...

and while the latest fine may have been more of a 'naughty step' than even a slap on the wrist, the timing was not good for this to start notching up a few headlines,

2. JDX Gold badge

Saving face maybe, but many big corporations would just stick their feet in the mud and their fingers in their ears and ignore the complaints. So, well done MS, I guess. Sort of. Ish.

2. Dennis Wilson
    Joke

Oh wow!!!!!!!!!!

Now this IS a bug u turn for them. It's like a caveman stepping onto the starship Enterprise. Excuse me while i pass out.

3. Schultz

"customer feedback"

ahem, shitstorm?

4. James O'Shea
    Mushroom

Too late

The decision's been made. Microsoft is dead to my company. There will be no new MS products purchased. Period. And, yes, that includes OSes. New computer hardware will either be Apple or will be build-it-yourself boxes with BSD, or, maybe, if a suitable distro can be identified, Linux installed later.

Bite me, Microsoft.

1. southpacificpom
      Thumb Up

Re: Too late

Welcome to a better future :)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Linux

>"The decision's been made. Microsoft is dead to my company. There will be no new MS products purchased. Period."

So, basically, you are thinking of leave MS for Apple due to vendor lock-in? Oh, good gracious - that's just too rich!! For all the reasons to go to Apple, that would be about the strangest one to pick.

I do hope Linux can handle all your needs. Try Kubuntu, I've been hearing good things recently. Or if you are a bit more daring, SUSE or openSUSE with KDE are my favorites. I would avoid Gnome, Unity, etc - too much obsessive changing of everything right now in that area - you'll end up constantly re-training workers. KDE is a very mature, stable, fast DE, and fairly easy to learn for anyone coming from a Windows desktop.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

So, basically, you are thinking of leave MS for Apple due to vendor lock-in? Oh, good gracious - that's just too rich!! For all the reasons to go to Apple, that would be about the strangest one to pick.

If you still need commercially supported products, yes, Apple is your only option - even for running the Windows apps you can't get for OSX (Sage is apparently one of them). This is why a number of private banks I know have switched, and these guys know numbers better than I do. As for lock in, you're dealing with a very polished version of FreeBSD which also supports ports of Open Source products and can compile them. Explain the lock in, please? Or maybe you were thinking Android, which mysteriously includes a Microsoft license fee?

As for Linux - I'd love to (OpenSuSE is personally my all-in-one favourite, with Mint as desktop), but there is a lack of really good products for it. Like it or hate it, there are some interesting substitutes on Linux, but they don't come close to what you can get for OSX (AO/LO being an exception). Fix that and I'd swap, but for the moment, OSX gives me the fragment of Windows I still need, all the *nix tools AND a decent desktop, in pretty decent hardware that is no more expensive than the far less usable Google Chrome laptop..

3. JDX Gold badge

Good to know you're making decisions rationally James. The facts change but your decision doesn't, way to run a business based on spite and emotion.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The facts change but your decision doesn't, way to run a business based on spite and emotion.

Actually, the facts haven't changed much. You still can't trust Microsoft, and that's information well documented throughout almost 20..30 years or so. Management hasn't changed, so the behaviour of the company hasn't either.

James merely meant to say "this confirms that the risk of running Microsoft software is incompatible with the risk management of my company". Same decision, same outcome, same fundamentals, only expressed "professionally". I like the honesty, even if I find the absolutes in his decision process a bit much..

4. Steve78

What kind of bizarre licensing agreement do you have? My 55,000 users can upgrade or downgrade their Office/OS 'til their hearts content.

How many users to you actually support?? I can't imagine they will be happy about having to run with new software platforms & having to learn a new OS.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Fark says the updated license applies to Office Home and Student 2013, Office Home and Business 2013, Office Professional 2013, and the individual, boxed Office 2013 applications"

He forgot Office Student and Small Business 2013, Office Business and Home 2013, Office Small Business 2013, Office Medium-sized Business 2013, Office Medium-but-rapidly-expanding-Business 2013, Office Banana and Lamp Post 2013, Office <insert random characters here> 2013, and the 256 other editions.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Soo...

MS lock licence to one machine? Bastards.

They make it able to be moved between machines, as everyone wants? U-turning bastards.

Sigh.

1. M Gale

Re: Soo...

No, I think the "bastards" tag was earned several decades ago. This episode is just the latest in a long series of bastardry.

Fortunately it seems some people can still be bothered to kick up a stink about bastards.

1. Alan Bourke

Yes the bastards tag has been retained for several decades because boo hoo hoo

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Several decades ago, MS were the company smashing the strangle hold of Big Iron proprietary UNIX on the datacentre, they most definitely weren't bastards.

1. M Gale

Oh no they weren't. They were the ones accepting the IBM shilling to buy someone else's OS for Big Blue's new "personal computer" project.

Try looking to the people who reverse engineered the IBM PC BIOS, to see who broke up IBM's stranglehold.

2. PhilBuk
          Headmaster

@M Gale & AC

Both wrong. IBM did not run Unix and yes Microsoft were the heroes in the 70s and 80s.

Phil.

1. M Gale

I wouldn't say they were heroes.

They just had some actual competition from Digital Research, which they soon killed off by rather more foul means than fair.

Not a lot has changed since then.

2. Tom 35

Only install on one computer - F-ing Bastards.

Only install it on one computer at a time (2010 allowed more then one install) - Just regular Bastards now.

3. GBL Initialiser

Quite. If this is the response they get then they may as well not have bothered with relaxing the agreement.

No pleasing some people. I found the Microsoft is dead to me chap(ette) the most amusing.

1. M Gale

"Quite. If this is the response they get then they may as well not have bothered with relaxing the agreement."

If they want to piss in their own well, I won't stop them.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

If they want to piss in their own well, I won't stop them.

That may explain the taste of their coffee :/

7. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Seriously

You have to wonder why people bother with all this aggravation when the alternatives are getting more and more usable all the time.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

A silly slip-up

They've used the same spokesman for both announcements. Any fule kno that to play the good-cop, bad-cop routine you need two cops - have Steve Balmer throw a chair right through the contract like an extra-moist Joe Pesci and then have Fark pop up with the "he's got such a dangerous temper but I'm pretty sure if you'd just sign up for an Office 365 trial then he'd forget all about tattooing Clippy on your schlong..."

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dude...

... this is pretty Farked up right here.

1. Ted Treen
      Pint

Re: Dude...

You beat me to it:- but I up voted you anyway.

And sent you a beer!

10. stephajn
    Windows

Now if only...

....they would do an about face on trying to ram the Start Screen look down our throats and give choices when the device the OS is installed on isn't a tablet or even a screen with a touch interface.

I can't even begin to tell you all how often I tell a new Windows 8 user just as they open their mouth to say "Where did my start menu go?" to visit www.stardock.com and download Start8. I never knew that $5 could eliminate so much hurt and pain from an operating system!

1. Vince

Re: Now if only...

Whereas anyone who is providing good advice shows someone how to use the thing properly and all the noise and fuss over the change will go away. Handily this also means that said person won't struggle on the next Win8 system they come across which hasn't got this utility.

Which would be the majority of them...

1. M Gale

It seems that the amount of Windows 8 machines running some 3rd party start menu is numbered in the millions. If the majority are using Metro, it's not that big a majority.

Will Microsoft pay attention to that for Windows 9 and give you the option to relegate TIFKAM to a thing used for running mobile apps on a desktop? I doubt it, but I can dream.

2. Michael Habel
      Linux

$5.00(USD) For a Third Party fix for a Problem that should've never been allowed to exist in the first place.

I've said this Once before, and I'll shall be arsed to repeat it here.....

Ughhh.... OH HELL NO! I'd rather pocket that $5.00(USD) + the cost of the Windows 8 License bypass that pile of fail otherwise known as UEFI (and its Microsoft lock-in) and just give in and relearn to use a decent Debian style Linux like Mint, and LibeOffice. Given that all I use the Computer for these days is for surfing the Web, and shi-- and perhaps some light compiling of source code primarily on my LInux HTPC, but now for my Arm chiped NAS as well... Well a Windows just doesn't cut it for me anymore.

11. Herby

With every move Microsoft makes...

LibreOffice looks better and better.

Then again, I'm using Linux (KDE) so I'm a bit biased. It works quite well just the same.

1. Charles 9

Re: With every move Microsoft makes...

Even on Windows, it is improving considerably. As long as your demands aren't too complex, it'll do. Though it does get dicey if you handle MS Office docs on a regular basis.

1. Euripides Pants
        Windows

"it does get dicey if you handle MS Office docs on a regular basis"

Even using MS Office on MS Office docs gets dicey once in a while.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Even using MS Office on MS Office docs gets dicey once in a while.

Yes, but those "x" formats are still not read properly by Libreoffice. Personally, I think this is the complaint that should go back to the EU as it's simply the same monopoly trick all over again. MS should be made to document the format properly and be fined into oblivion earlier than they are destined anyway the moment even a full stop is out of place using those specs on another platform. Otherwise this won't stop.

For some reason, US companies seem to think that the law is something that should be broken for profit as long as the fine is less than the profit, Microsoft is simply the most public example. They lie, cheat and buy their way out, and if they manage they simply do the same all over again (just different enough to force new evidence gathering) and so the cycle repeats. And they wonder why they have a problem gaining trust.

2. Michael Habel

I would like to ask ya perhaps I can address this to the bloke that wrote the "Which Linux is right for you?" Article. But, in your opinion which is better Cinnamon or KDE? I kinda know firsthand that Unity is shite. But, then I recall reading not so long ago how KDE 3.0 was just as shitie as Gnome was or is.

I'm not trying to wave a banner or anything but, I think Cinnamon isn't that bad of an GUI. Its no XP mind, but that's hardly a bad thing.

1. Charles 9

I'm personally drawn towards XFCE rather than those two (I personally it comfortably middle of the road). My plan is to migrate to Xubuntu. But I've come to recognize that, for the most part, it's a matter of taste. Cinnamon (which is GNOME-based) is more lightweight than KDE, but then that means KDE comes with more stuff. Each has its fans and detractors. Given the choice, I would say give each one a spin via a live booter and see which one suits you better.

2. M Gale

"But, then I recall reading not so long ago how KDE 3.0 was just as shitie as Gnome was or is."

Mandriva chose to go to KDE4, when KDE4 was an awful pre-beta bug-fest. The interface isn't bad, it didn't try to rip everything up and start again like Metro or Unity. It's not an attempt to turn a desktop computer into a phone. It was just adopted way too early by Mandriva SA and caused a bunch of people (me included) to run screaming toward something that actually worked.

These days, KDE4 is quite stable.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Microsoft has arrived at the peak of diminishing returns.

The win7 boxes are not getting win8

The winXP boxes are not getting 7 or 8

Office has been replaced with Libre Office long ago. Being cross platform with my linux boxes and all.

The winning strategy for Microsoft is to extend XP's SECURITY EOL Support 7 as long as XP

Office, I wouldn't even bother anymore.

There's nothing I can't do in Libre Office and even LESS in Microsoft Office now.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Oh yeah and did I mention the cool Libre Office/Firefox Themes!?

a lil tricky to figure out how to get them going but....

Mine has KITTENS!! KITTENS I tell you!

12. Jason Hindle

About time

This aspect of the licensing has struck me as somewhat absurd for a while. On the one hand, Microsoft embraces the cloud and actually produces some pretty decent web apps. On the other, it relies on licensing stuck in the last century for its desktop software. If Google ever develops their own office software enough to get the basics right, they will kill Microsoft IMHO.

13. Arachnoid
    Pint

About Face

This and an about turn on the start menu.....anyone would think MS was actually listening to the end users

14. Lars Silver badge
    FAIL

How nice

Microsoft listening to customers but how come they where unable to work it out without the customer "input". Stupid or something.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surely people will look back and cite this as the fall of Rome moment for Microsoft...

Minimum NEW features but MAXIMUM restrictions and pricing in a freemium world.

I used their tools for 30 years and helped purchase 30m+ in software... Well no more.

VM's with legacy versions will do nicely at mega corps, and torrents will do fine if you're not even a corp.

Even MS' move to the cloud is half hearted according to Ray Ozzie... Final nail in the coffin...

16. Belardi
    WTF?

2013 blows almost as much as WinH8TE

Too late for me... Me and some others already bought Office 2010 because of MS greed.

1 - Install on 2 or 3 PCs... legally. Still only 1 PC for the same price.

2 - Re-install after upgrades or replacements (okay, they brought that back)

3 - I never understood why anyone would be dumb and lazy enough to buy the OEM/card version of Office 2010 which is only licensed to the computer it ships/installed on. ie: Office2013. There is *NO* discount savings buy about $10 or so. If it was 50%, maybe.

Also... Microsoft is listening to their customers? Explain the garbage known as Windows 8.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 2013 blows almost as much as WinH8TE

All you needed to add was M$ or Micro$oft and the trolling would be complete.

Have you even used Windows 8?

1. Belardi

Yes... I still have the Win8 Preview on a notebook, I'm about to wipe it and put on Linux and start learning how to use a real OS.

I already tried LinuxMint on another test computer.... because of Windows8. So now I'm going to put it on a notebook for full time.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Windows

What's wrong with Win 8 and Office 2013? Both are faster than hell on the machines in my office, and have tons of useful features. Just install Classic Shell so you don't always have to go to the full-screen menu to start a program. Easy.

1. M Gale

Nobody is complaining about faster.

Everyone is complaining about the UI.

"Just install classic shell", as I have said before, is something you do on Linux when Canonical have fucked up the UI again. Linux distributions are largely designed for this sort of heterogenous layering between the UI and the OS. They are also free. Windows... isn't. On both counts.

1. Michael Habel
          FAIL

Except you don't have to give Gnome / KDE / Whoever +$5.00(USD) for the privilege of using their Software. Or going thought the hassle of finding a Torrent File that's in all likelyhood infected with something nasty to fix a problem that shouldn't have ever left Redmond to begin with.

Granted you could probably donate some Money to those Devs if ya wished to support them. BUT YOUR NOT FORCED TO ACTUALLY DO SO!! Big difference there!

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: 2013 blows almost as much as WinH8TE @Michael Habel

"Except you don't have to give Gnome / KDE / Whoever +$5.00(USD) for the privilege of using their Software. Or going thought the hassle of finding a Torrent File that's in all likelyhood infected with something nasty to fix a problem that shouldn't have ever left Redmond to begin with."

You don't have to pay for Classic Shell either. Google Classic Shell, go to page, download, install and use for free. No faffing with torrents or paying for Start8. Whether the interface is a problem is a matter of opinion, and frankly I take those with a pinch of salt in these forums. "I don't like" means it's a problem for you, not a problem per se.

"Granted you could probably donate some Money to those Devs if ya wished to support them. BUT YOUR NOT FORCED TO ACTUALLY DO SO!! Big difference there!"

You can donate to Classic Shell if you want too. Perhaps you can explain the difference in capitals with explanation marks (always enhances an argument,) and incorrect word usage. I'm putting that "YOUR" thing down to keyboard rage, though you do have a jarring habit of capitalising words for no apparent reason. I personally find that a bit distracting when reading, though I can't speak for others on that. What with it being a personal opinion.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Facepalm

" Nobody is complaining about faster. Everyone is complaining about the UI."

You complain about a much faster system with tons of new features because of a simple UI issue that's fixed in 30 seconds by a free download?

Don't miss the forest for the trees! As Homer Simpson would say - D'oh!

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: 2013 blows almost as much as WinH8TE @Andy Prough

"You complain about a much faster system with tons of new features because of a simple UI issue that's fixed in 30 seconds by a free download?"

I've just spent some time on more long-winded rebuttals and only noticed this now. Have a belated upvote!

2. M Gale

"You complain about a much faster system with tons of new features because of a simple UI issue that's fixed in 30 seconds by a free download?"

I complain about the dumb, stupid way by which I am forced to interact with this new, faster system?

Why yes, yes I do.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

" "Just install classic shell", as I have said before, is something you do on Linux when Canonical have fucked up the UI again."

Interesting how some people think it's OK to have UI options in Linux, and then bitch when options are made available to Windows users. Guess having your argument yanked out from under is difficult to deal with, huh? As for fucked up - well, you're entitled to your opinion but it is just that. The fact that people here share it doesn't make it true - Reg readers can be some the most reactionary people around, though with Windows stuff it's generally a foregone conclusion because they hate Windows anyway.

" Linux distributions are largely designed for this sort of heterogenous layering between the UI and the OS."

So what? People who don't like Win 8's interface can make it more familiar by getting Classic Shell and call it problem solved. They don't give a crap about the architecture, and *nor should they* if they're buying it as an end user to do end user stuff.

2. Belardi
        Devil

@Andy "What's wrong with Win 8 and Office 2013? Both are faster than hell on the machines in my office, and have tons of useful features. Just install Classic Shell so you don't always have to go to the full-screen menu to start a program."

Look at it this way. When you get a free or cheap car (Linux) which doesn't come in the color you like, you may grumble and spend a bit of time changing the color. Linux comes with tons of easy ways to change its UI.

Now, when you BUY the latest BMW 5 series (Windows 8) and the maker decided that the Steering wheel is stupid and replaces it with a TWO big buttons that say <LEFT O RIGHT>. And you want the steering wheel back, you have to get it from some Chinese unknown or barely known company for a low price... but the steering wheel doesn't exactly fit perfectly and doesn't match the color of the interior... That is what Windows 8 is.

A POS bastardized OS that doesn't know which way its going. YOU have to use Metro... some settings and some defaults go to Metro. Then some actions in Metro will shoot you to the desktop.

Metro is so utterly pointless... wow, you know have to look at the entire screen to find what you are looking far, rather than a single small corner. And if you are in DESKTOP most or all the time... then the METRO interface isn't even being *SEEN*, is it. How are those notifications working in METRO?

Another point is: Confidence. Microsoft's whole change with Win8/RT/Office2013/Logo, etc has shown the world that the company is run by complete MORONS. Why would you invest/buy deal with a company that is TOO DAMN stupid to listen to their own customers (Like they did with Win7 / Office 2010)?!

So screw M$.

Windows 7 is my last MS-OS, PERIOD.

Who cares about PC games anymore? Everything is on consoles now. And I'll NEVER EVER buy an xbox. I'm already got plans to buy the PS3. First console I've bought since the PS1 in the 90s.

1. M Gale

I also have to wonder how well these start-menu replacements will work when Microsoft change something and the whole lot needs to be reprogrammed again?

You don't have that issue with Linux. A program wants one desktop environment but you're running another? No problem, it'll just drag in the libraries it needs and work nicely. The OS and UI are separated.

Windows just doesn't work like that. That a 3rd party hack might kludge its way around the problem (for now) is immaterial. Windows is a bloody expensive piece of software, and the people who make it can't even be bothered to keep the start menu from Windows 7, maybe even improve it to Gmome/KDE levels of excellence (yes, KDE's start menu categories are better than Windows 7's dump-it-all-in-an-alphabetical-list approach, even if 7's automatic quicklist is quite nice), despite ever-mounting evidence that People Want It Back.

All to try and make 2013 the Year of Windows on the Fondle Toy.

Sorry to go a little Eadonesque here, but: FAIL. FAIL. And a thousand times, FAIL!

3. Wensleydale Cheese

@Belardi

"3 - I never understood why anyone would be dumb and lazy enough to buy the OEM/card version of Office 2010 which is only licensed to the computer it ships/installed on. ie: Office2013. There is *NO* discount savings buy about $10 or so. If it was 50%, maybe."

A couple of years ago I saw the downloadable version and the full retail DVD version on the shelves of a local shop at exactly the same price. Since my first job would have been to back up the downloaded version it would have actually cost me more (albeit not much, but that's not counting my time).

17. Michael Habel
    FAIL

Where was all this "outrage" when Microsoft were doing this with the OSs'?

I still have a Copy of XP Home that I can not use 'cause the "Key" that came with it had been activated on a EOL Computer that got replaced a few weeks latter. This was like oh... 2004/5-ish. Tried calling the Helldesk for assistance and was told that i needed to buy another Copy of XP. That's when I discovered XP Pro. and the Devils own lol and. I just turned the Page to ditch that for a proper Linux installation.

So let us not act like this is some new and horrible thing that Microsoft are doing for their own personal lulz. If what they said is true and they just so happened to have sold more non-Media OTC Download only Key Cards with this stipulation then say the Retail Box for the same Cash. Then I for One say that the Public only has itself to blame. Granted the OS maybe One thing and Office another. But, if no sane Person wants Windows 8, and no body has a real need for Office 2013, Cause Office 2003 ~Just works~. and your the guy that has to answer to Ballmer as to why your division isn't raking it in like it has in the past years. You'd likely try stooping to this level of idiocy too.

This is nothing short of pandering to who ever still cares about Microsoft. In the hopes that they were somehow expecting us to forgive this trespass on our rights.

I dare say 2013/14 should be an interesting time with the imminent death of both XP and, O2k3. The time for the likes of Canonical ARE NOW! Sadly they aren't doing themselves any real favors though with such things as sending search queries to Amazon, But the fact remains all those poor XP'ers out their are gonna need a new home sooner then latter. And although I can not speak (and moreover do not wish to), for everyone. Windows 8 is not the "Home" I'm personally looking for.

18. TeeCee Gold badge
    Meh

Can't say I'm surprised.

"Officially" you couldn't move an OEM copy of the OS's between machines as well. In actuality, ringing 'em up and answering "yes" when asked "Do you only have this installed on one machine?" would do the trick. My one copy of XP lasted though several incarnations of the machine it sat on.

So much so that they eventually bypassed the need to speak to one of their people and replaced it with "Do you only have this installed on one machine? - Press 1 for yes or 2 for no......".

There's a big difference between what it says in the licensing, designed to milk the corporate market and how they treat a personal user on the phone.

19. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

"Customer feedback"? Yeah, right..

"Based on customer feedback we have changed the Office 2013 retail license agreement to allow customers to transfer the software from one computer to another," Microsoft's Jevon Fark said in a blog post on Wednesday.

I'm not buying it (pardon the pun). I suspect this has either come about after strong hints from authorities that those terms won't wash, or because they simply have not managed to shift the product...

20. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge
    WTF?

What is this 'Office 2013'?

Is it another fork of Open Office?

21. Wang N Staines
    Happy

Office 97 & XP

is the way to go.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like