back to article Plastic Logic shows off bendy 'leccy posters: Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Still searching for an application for its innovative printed-on-plastic screen technology, Plastic Logic has teamed up with TOPPAN to showcase a 42-inch screen built for posters and displays. Forty-two inches (just over a metre) might not be the biggest of screens, but the prototype being shown off at RetailTECH Japan is 3mm …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ravenviz Silver badge
    Headmaster

2p

I will just say that "Anyone? Anyone?" and "Beuller?" are in different scenes in the movie.

1. ThomH

Re: 2p

You're talking voodoo [economics].

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

You forgot they make really *bad* transistors

Were they anywhere close to a regular transistor they'd probably taken over the world by now.

And of course it's all those pesky peripheral bits like batteries, sound emitters etc.

How full is their portfolio of components they canmake?

They seem no closer to working out to leverage their strengths (high volume, high probability they all work transistors) to overcome their weaknesses (low operating frequency in the 10s of MHz max, low density, need for off sheet clock source, power source, RF circuits etc).

Disappointed as it still remains a potentially very clever tech.

3. Mage Silver badge

lasers

When lasers were invented people used them as posh "rulers". Communications? Nah.

Certainly if the price is right then this *IS* cool technology that deserves a market. I thought by now I'd have an A4 (or legal size) roll up eReader that fits 211 mm x 12 mm x 80 mm form factor. A bit smaller than my old Slide Rule in its plastic case.

It's a pity people want video and colour on phones and colour inherently needs a back light or it can be no better than 1/3rd brightness of B&W ePaper.

4. Roger Venable

and don't call me Shirley.

5. BeerTokens

How much?

I would like to know how much one of these would cost before dismissing it out of hand. Per device per cm2 just some sort of pricing would help evaluate it.

A few case use idea's

Roll up ebook reader (obviously)

Depending on flexibly update-able promotional flags

Price dependant, update-able restaurant menus, think nice expensive leather bound menus with five sheets inside that can be updated, workings kept in the cover, the plastic display replaces those plastic wallets used to swap out printed A4 sheets of paper.

Roll Up Plan viewer either A1 or A2 would be good. with some kind of calibration so we can scale from plans (if drawn to be able to do so)

Same for music

Something like this for exhibitions http://www.hampshireflag.co.uk/Roller-Banners.htm roll up banners

All niche markets but all took 5 mins to think of. Most have probably been thought of already. You really don't need to keep chasing the big idea.

1. ecofeco Silver badge
      Pint

Re: How much?

I can think of a hundred uses, but as Beertoken points out, it seems to be a cost issue stopping anyone from buying mass quantities.

2. Suricou Raven

Re: How much?

Billboards. You know the annoying type: Giant video screens, or elaborate mechanisms that allow one poster to roll up for another to replace it. Tech like this could do the same but potentially cheaper, lighter and more reliable.

6. Andy Miller

A new life awaits you in the Off-world colonies...

We only have 6 years to have electronic bill-boards on the sides of blimps. This is moving in the right direction.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Doesn't that depend on the wind?

7. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Happy

TBF they've also demonstrated video playback on eInk at 10FPS.

Which was pretty clever.

1. Arachnoid
      Black Helicopters

Billboards

Depends on the max size,colour rendering and multiple configurations but I thought bill boards would have been an ideal substrate for such an item which could update on the fly with little user intervention.

8. Dan Paul
    Devil

Bendy but Reflective technology & No Color

The billboard idea is great but you need to have one that can be seen at night not just when light is beaming on it.

Lots of "video" type billboards going up in high traffic areas here in Western NY USA but they are all LED.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If they can make these big, really big and they don't weigh much they won't need much support structure and as a result will weigh even less, than in its self is surely useful for um.. something?

If they can make it cheap too (surely big bits of plastic are cheaper to make than big bits of glass?) and incorporate fondalability we can all have cheap and easily stuck to walls e-whiteboards and calendars.

If nothing else it'll make us feel like we're in the future.

10. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

stretchy, flexible batteries?

As subject, wasn't there a story about that too, just recently?

This could get very interesting.

This topic is closed for new posts.