back to article Archos TV+ 250GB streaming media player

On paper, Archos' TV+ looks like a very exciting product, combining a media streamer, a digital video recorder and the ability to display content from the internet on your TV. In theory, it's everything you could want from a set-top box. The reality, however, is somewhat different. The first and perhaps biggest problem with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. GettinSadda
    Thumb Down

40 percent?

How did something that so obviously failed to be useful, get as high as 40%?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Ho Ho - french product design

sorry, have to laugh, my first MP3 player was an archos and the user interface captured all that is french and user-friendly. looks like they've managed to refine pure misery a little further with this one. HaHaHa - will they never learn?

3. Calum Morrison
    Dead Vulture

Archos have really gone downhill...

I chose an AV440 a few years ago as it had the ability to play back audio and video as well as record and playback directly through the TV. Later on, I got an amazing bargain from my local Tesco when they accidentally marked down a newer 30gb model to £80 one day and would probably be interested in the new versions if they didn't now charge for codecs and the TV cradle. Archos seem to be a company either clawing desparately at revenue streams or interested only in ripping the piss out of their customers. £30 for a browser? Even Opera never tried that!

4. Giles Jones Gold badge

Just get the Apple TV

Even if the Apple TV doesn't do what you want, you can always hack it so it does. People have even booted the normal OSX on it.

5. Alan Edwards
    IT Angle

How did it get 40% ?

How does something this useless get 40%??

Perhaps more to the point, how does something this useless get on the market? Didn't they let anyone play with it first?

It has a Ethernet port and wireless networking - why does it need to be directly connected to a PC for any reason? All the updating should be done over the network.

With no internal tuner, it would need it's own STB to record a channel whilst you're watching another. It's probably not up to recording and playing at the same time, either.

Who thought a remote with no basic playback controls was a good idea?

I had a VCR once that controlled a satellite receiver by IR, and even they figured out that you put the IR emitter on the top panel not the front.

I'd not give this more than 20%, and tell them to get working on v2 of the box.

Alan.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

what a pile...

of total pants, i certainly wont be buying one...

(I hope someone from the company is reading this...)

Bill because its crippled like vista.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why 40%?

Are you mad, giving the fact the thing doesn't actually do what is meant to and costs more than buying a cheap PC (media centre PC!) it should have gotten no more than 10% and that is being generous.

8. Graham Robinson

Archos 605

With such an appauling review it makes it seem like the Archos 605 (I own one, a brilliant bit of kit) with a docking station is a much better investment than this standalone unit.

But still, I'll be sticking with the slingbox and hoping to get a slingcatcher when it comes out.

9. Mage Silver badge
    Boffin

It's only a PMP

It's really the 605 without the built in LCD screen.

This is what you get when you kid yourself that a high end PMP can be a PVR.

The DVR docking station & remote of the 605 WiFi player gives nearly identical features. I wouldn't bother. The battery / USB host (transfer camera pics) and TV out is maybe the best accessory for 605.

It's pointless as a video recorder. The black bands are because it only records 640x480 VGA resolution.

Get a Lyngbox. It's a real PVR with ethernet, HD, satellite & Terrestrial tuners and 4 USB host ports..

10. bluesxman

RE: Lyngbox

...looks tasty, shame about the woeful distribution at the moment

11. Daniel Owen

Popcornhour

Review the PCH :D

You know it makes sense :)

12. J

Yuck

The player looks nice enough. The remote is a sight from hell...

13. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Wow!

As far as I can tell, aside from hard drive space, it has precisely zero features my TiVo series II did not - when I got it four years ago for half the price. And the TiVo actually HAS its own tuner, a remote with a play button... well, you get the idea.

WTF!? Why in god's name would anybody buy this instead of an HD Tivo? Or a bag of bricks?

14. kain preacher

Apple

slap an apple logo on it and it will sell

15. Scott Mckenzie

@Kain

Hmm, clearly you're well versed in the use of Apple products then...

Quite a few folk above and even in the article mention the Apple TV, despite it's limitations being rather good... oh and the fact with a little bit of work the AppleTV actually becomes an incredibly powerful box!

But hey, it's hip to bash Apple isn't it... you must feel so cool!

16. steven
    Thumb Down

Archos - I wouldn't bother

After having purchased a 405 player/recorder - I used it once, found a load of bugs - updated the firmware - found a load more bugs and promptly put it back in its box and have never used it again.

After requesting support many times I received none. As a consequence, it does not surprise me that this product is shoddy.

I would never buy Archos again.

ice.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like