back to article Truck-maker CAT flogs smartphone spawn to butter-fingered fondlers

It’s all very well making a phone waterproof, but over 70 per cent of smartphone deaths are down to a cracked screen. With that in mind, the first smartphone from CAT - yes, Caterpillar, the mechanical digger, truck, footwear and sunglasses manufacturer - sells itself on being drop-proof. From head height onto concrete. It …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mondo the Magnificent
    Coat

Cool for CATs

I'm diging it... but will make the earth move for me?

Hopefully they'll be available where I live and perhaps I can scrape enough together to buy one

It's a lot better than the JCB branded phone we saw on ElReg about 18 months back..

1. LarsG

Get a better phone and buy a quality cover.

2. Russell Hancock

Re: Cool for CATs

Get a Sony Xperia Go - Slightly smaller screen, granted - but also IP67 water / dust proof and so far the screen has not cracked on drops that killed a HTC One X... Have tested the water proofing several times with dips into the sea, lakes, ponds and the bath!

Great phone.

2. Pen-y-gors

What do you mean...

" it doesn’t look industrial" ?

Looks pretty heavy duty to me - not exactly sleek. Good idea though.

3. jake Silver badge

Whatever.

I have been carrying a Nokia 5185 for close to thirteen years, and it pretty much foots the bill ... with the exception of being waterproof, and a small zip-lock bag takes care of that when it's raining. It has been stepped on by horses, gnawed on by sheep and puppies, run over by tractors, "cured" in the smokehouse overnight, dropped into toilets (three times!), and into a pot of boiling soup (once). It's on it's original battery, and doesn't seem to function any different than the day it was new. I've replaced the outer case and the antenna several times.

Plus, it has a strong transmitter & a sensitive receiver, which works in all of Sonoma and Napa counties so-called "dead zones", where other phones don't work. Try taking your "smart phone" up the Oakville Grade, down Trinity to Cavedale, and Cavedale to 12 without once losing the connection ... My old Nokia can handle that assignment.

What's the downside? Nokia can't sell me a new one! If everyone carried one of these things, the constant upgrade cycle would be broken. Also, the transmitter is stronger than allowed by current law, and it doesn't have the federally mandated tracking chip in it. I'm dreading the day I finally manage to kill it :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Rise of the Neo-Luddites

My phone is older, more illegal and caked in human and animal shit than yours

2. Robert E A Harvey

Re: Whatever.

I do hope it went in the soup before it went in the toilet, or I'm not coming to supper at your house!

3. Snar
      Thumb Up

Re: Whatever.

Yay for old phones!

I still have an Ericsson GH-388 which I still occasionally take out for an airing and still works very well and have a selection of batteries to use with it :)

4. petur
    FAIL

Meanwhile...

They are getting rid of about 1400 workers here in Belgium. Maybe they should stick to their core business and try to do that well?

1. wim

Re: Meanwhile...

Maybe they should expand as their core business is obviously not being able to stay at the same level ?

Or maybe, just maybe the Belgian taxes on labour are a bit on the high side.

5. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Isn't 512Mb RAM a little on the skimpy side?

1. Ilgaz

It will work but

Spawning in out of apps if you are ex symbian multi tasking type will drive you crazy.

At least, you can throw it to wall for your sanity.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cat's not friendly.

Caterpillar bulldozers are used by the Israelis to demolish Palestinian homes.

1. James Micallef Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Cat's not friendly.

I'm sympathetic to Palestinians getting their homes bulldozed and land taken.... but in what way is that CAT's fault?

1. AceRimmer
        Flame

I can't be bothered looking it up to confirm but I was under the impression that CAT make specific modifications to the bulldozers for the Israeli army effectively turning them into an arms dealer

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

CAT make specific modifications to the bulldozers for the Israeli army effectively turning them into an arms dealer

Probably the same deal as any other commercial kit used by the Army: a paint job and some armour plating.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

http://www.uwsa.edu/tfunds/Caterpillar2004.htm

In addition to demolishing thousands of homes there have been casualties caused directly by the bullozers e.g IDF soldier driving a Caterpillar bulldozer crushed an American human rights activist, Rachel Corrie, as she tried to stop the demolition of a home in the Gaza Strip.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Darwin Tip....Dont stand in front of a bulldozer in a foreign country and expect them to obey American rules on "pedestrians must not be harmed"

2. James Micallef Silver badge

from the link you sent

"... its bulldozers are purchased by the U.S. government and given to Israel..."

so what are CAT supposed to do, refuse to sell to the US gov??

1. Robert E A Harvey

>so what are CAT supposed to do, refuse to sell to the US gov?

The US expects loads of people not to sell to other governments, so why not?

1. kain preacher

Hm they are based in the US and you want them to refuse to sail to he US Govt? Not a smart move .

2. martin 62
          Thumb Up

yes they make an armored version of the D9 bulldozer Picture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IDF-D9-Zachi-Evenor-001.jpg for the IDF (Israel Defense Forces) Another fact is The US army used D9 bulldozers to clear forest in the Vietnam war but after the war they were replaced with smaller and cheaper Caterpillar D7G bulldozers. D7G dozers are still very common in US combat engineering battalions, but there is a resurgent high demand to replace the lighter D7Gs with the newer and more heavily armored D9s.

2. Don Jefe
      Meh

IBM was used to make the Holocaust more efficient. Browning was used to shoot Germans. Hops are used to make beer which kills people in DUI's. Louisville Slugger is used to bludgeon people to death. Marmite is used to kill foreigners.

What's your point?

7. darklord

itll still break. gorilla glass aint that good. My S3 has gorilla glass and guess what it smashed when dropped. however i want one

1. Clive Galway

The S3 has Gorilla Glass II, which is stronger but also thinner than GG1.

I am pretty sure that the net effect is that it is weaker.

Also, the glass on the S3 goes very close to the edge of the phone, especially at the bottom - if you drop it and it lands on one of the bottom corners it WILL break.

Furthermore, Samsung saw fit to bond the LCD to the glass, meaning that if you do crack the outer GG layer, you are basically screwed.

Sammy told me that my warranty is invalid until the glass is replaced - ie if the device died and I sent it for repair, they would not repair it (Or even evaluate it) until the GG was replaced, at a cost of about £170.

Add to that the fact that I have a custom colour ("Amber Brown" from Phones4U) and Sammy say that they do not have that case colour, so in order to replace the glass/LCD assembly, they would also have to replace both covers as the front bezel is bonded to the glass.

Very annoying as there are a bunch of youtube vids that show how to separate the glass and LCD using a heatgun or a playing card, and you can get a replacement glass for £10 - obviously though this would invalidate the warranty.

So to replace a £10 part, I need to pay in excess of £200.

1. AddyNuf
        WTF?

Or you could have spunked £4 on a case. I mean, I'm a sausage fingered clumsy get. So I bought a £4 case from eBay that means that when I drop my S3 it doesn't shatter.

1. JEDIDIAH
          Linux

Proof's in the pudding...

> when I drop my S3 it doesn't shatter.

Then go find some concrete to drop your phone onto. We will be waiting.

8. Robert Moore
    Paris Hilton

Not Yellow!

I was hunting around for the credit card until I read that it wasn't yellow.

Who wants a Cat product that isn't Cat yellow?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Not Yellow!

It sounds like it would survive a dunk in some yellow paint, so you have options.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

Pah..

All piss poor imitations of the nokia 6250..

Cracking *phone*

10. VaalDonkie

No cover for the headphone jack?

So, no one has thought of adding a tiny plastic or silicone plug that can go in the headphone jack?

11. John Pattenden
    Alert

Even the rugged construction worker wants a phone which looks good.

Perfect for the Village People then?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like