back to article One titsup server kills Brit-hosted Donhost websites for THREE DAYS

A fault in just one server at Brit web hosting biz Donhost took out thousands of websites and emails for more than three days. The service slowly found its feet again on Wednesday afternoon after the company officially confirmed it fell over on Monday at 7am. Affected customers posting in a help forum put the start of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Were the thousands of websites that failed

on the one server that fell over?

1. Captain Scarlet

Re: Were the thousands of websites that failed

Could be a storage server which acts as storage for multiple front end servers.

Someone from the Don might know.

1. Lee D Silver badge

"We have created a new server to host the sites and services on and our system administrators are currently restoring all sites from our fail safe backups."

Odd, then, that they are restoring sites from backups. Because that means that there's only a single server hosting storage for EVERY website, and that doesn't have a redundant spare, a failover, etc. - just a restorable backup. There's little point farming all your storage out for every front-end server if you're then not going to have a usable replacment/failover with up-to-date data.

Years ago I used to use WebFusion for a variety of things. Nowadays, I'm loathe to touch it. They are more expensive and less capable than they ever were.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

From what I know of their systems, I doubt it's ALL their hosting, probably just this set.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Could be a storage server which acts as storage for multiple front end servers. Someone from the Don might know.

Netcraft says "F5 BIG-IP Apache/2.2.3 CentOS"

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My guess (given they're suggesting customers move to a different brand) would be it's an old-style shared hosting server which is backed up but doesn't have multiple redundant servers. Would also explain how the server took out mail and web.

3. Piro Silver badge
    Pint

Maximum incompetence

Not much else to say, really.

Maybe once they're laid off, they can find a job at Microsoft, managing Azure, they'd fit right in.

1. Fatman

Re: Maximum incompetence

You bad boy!!!

I just spewed coffee all over my monitor and keyboard.

4. Spoddyhalfwit

Was it a windows server?

I think we need to know, so we can decide whether to throw our comments at the software, or the admins?

1. Oninoshiko
      FAIL

Re: Was it a windows server?

No you dont.

It's the admins. A failure like this always is. Failures can be mitigated in Windows, Unix, and Unix-like OSes

1. Fatman

I have to agree, this is a damagement issue.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It was Linux / Apache so most likely it was hacked....

5. RyokuMas
    Joke

Next killer app...

Looks like the next killer app will be one to remind people to renew there SSL certs!

6. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Clarificaton from Webfusion ..

How long does it take to swap out the hardware and restore from last nights backups. I would suspect that most of the delay was in finding someone technical enough to do the job, as they fired most/all of the technical staff - to save money.

"It was a technical failure that resulted in a complete system overhaul, which regrettably took longer than we had anticipated"

That's totally cleared up the issue for me.

7. tin 2
    FAIL

One of our VPS hosted "servers" fell over at the same time, and while the service status page said there was a network issue their ("we are VERY busy at the moment", yet answered immediately) helpline said a similar thing had befallen it - a disk failure and being restored from backup. What puzzles me is their VPS are supposed to be RAID-5. Don't they keep an eye on the disks?

Additionally said VPS is down again tonight.

8. IT Hack

And this was their "Premier" service offering? Oh dear.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Used to use Donhost...

...and didn't mind that it there were cheaper alternatives (dedicated server) - I always got good UK based support and don't mind paying. Example: server died 10 pm one xmas day and was swapped out and restored within a couple of hours.

When the server was looking overdue for replacement they were keen to move me to Webfusion and so far so good but this event is worrying - as is that the support often seems to be off-shore and I've been disappointed with "experts" who try to fob me off with incorrect diagnosis and I have to prove to them I'm right and they're wrong.

10. computer repair bronxville

There would have been less chances of downtime if it was a Linux server.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Erm, but it is a Linux Server (CentOS)

Website hacking / defacement statistics show that Linux is the worst OS to use...Most secure is Windows Server and Open BSD!

11. Dave Gee
    Thumb Down

And so the nightmare continues...

First, server 50 went down early yesterday, and there's still some way to go before full services are restored - more than 30 hours later. Second, server 51 was down for over 4 hours today - and never even mentioned in the server status pages...

At least they are providing a very consistent service - of utter ineptness and bare-faced lies!

This topic is closed for new posts.