back to article Japanese boffins produce solar power paper

Green tech boffins at Osaka University have developed new highly efficient solar panel “paper” technology made from wood pulp, and says it is lighter, more flexible and eco-friendly than traditional clunky solar energy collectors. The solar paper can be less than one millimetre thick thanks to its basic components: transparent …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rukario
    Joke

Solar panel collectors made from wood pulp

Military installations?

Potential military installations?

Oh, trees.

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Re: Solar panel collectors made from wood pulp

A quick drop of genetic engineering know-how and then I fully expect trees to come fitted with 13-amp sockets by next Tuesday-week

2. James 51

Don't know why but this made me thing of the borg trees from Dr Who.

3. Cliff

Disposal

If the key ingredients are cellulose and silver, I suspect the cellulose will be burnt away (hey maybe even at a power plant) and silver harvested for re-use. The cellulose may even just wash away if soaked. 3% efficiency may be low, but if the cost (financial and environmental) of production, shipping, disposal, etc., is low enough, that 3% might actually be rather efficient relatively speaking.

4. Yag
    Happy

Oh, the irony...

Turning nature's solar harvesters into man-made solar harvesters, how fitting.

5. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

I'd like to see -

Actually, I'd like to see The Register lay off with the "climate change is a lie" coverage, so, my boycott of comment of environment-related Reg stories continues. I invite other readers to join me. The Register lies. And I'll keep my thoughts about where this technology can lead, to myself.

1. Peshman

Re: I'd like to see -

So, the reg lies and you have proof that climate change is caused by humanity? I guess you'll also deny that the planet has been through a series of past ice ages and every thaw was due to Homo Sapiens, or various other missing links, being neglectful?

6. DragonLord

This could be quite useful

I can see this being used to power/charge e-ink or a small speaker on a book/card/etc to add to the content of said item. e.g. to add a zoomable map to the beginning of a fantasy book, or to provide animated pictures in harry potter, or to play mood music whenever you open the book.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Coat

Re: This could be quite useful

"or to provide animated pictures in harry potter"

You mean we'll really be able to buy a copy of the Daily Prophet with actual moving photos someday soon?

Mines the one that looks like it's got a big wand in the pocket :-)

This topic is closed for new posts.