back to article Take that, freetards: First music sales uptick in over a decade

Year-on-year sales of recorded music have risen for the first time since 1999, albeit by a smidgen, according to industry stats. The business of selling and licensing sound recordings is now 40 per cent smaller than it was pre-Y2K, but in 2012 revenues increased by 0.3 per cent - and that hasn't happened before in this …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Eddie Edwards
    Happy

Heh

Parties like it's 60% of 1999 might be more accurate.

2. g e
    Pirate

Tell us again

How 'piracy' is damaging your revenue.

And while you're at it let us point out to you that we were right all along about you having to modernise your outdated old-boys business model into the digital age.

3. S4qFBxkFFg
    WTF?

blip?

0.3% might be a blip, but it is a surprising one (especially in a recession).

re. the antepenultimate paragraph, there is still value in ripping - I buy CDs and like to have .flacs on the home computer HD, .oggs on the portable player (waiting for a phone I can put my whole collection of .flacs on) and the last ditch backup of the original CD.

However, the drop in P2P certainly isn't surprising - unless you're on a proxy (which would probably be an exercise in frustration) or in a "safe" jurisdiction there's a non-negligible risk you're torrenting to a honeypot of some sort.

1. Captain Hogwash
      Thumb Up

Re: blip?

Your penultimate paragraph is right on the money. As it's unlikely music will ever be widely available as FLAC downloads, I'll be sticking with buying CDs and ripping them until the format is discontinued or I am.

1. BongoJoe

" As it's unlikely music will ever be widely available as FLAC downloads,"

I buy most of my classical dowmloads as flac files from Presto. Since I have fully functioning ears I refuse to go for the hissy compressed format much beloved of sonically challenged yoof.

But, I go get your point. Give me rock CDs that I can download in flac and I then I will buy more that way, though of course the local independent music shop may suffer slightly as a consequence as I buy and then rip to flac before storing the CD in the attic. Whilst I won't be surprised not to find outputs by the local Welsh language label in flac but it is rather surprising in this day and age to not be allowed, for example, to buy the latest Rush opus in flac.

2. phuzz Silver badge
        Happy

You can pick FLAC when buying from Bandcamp, which is nice.

2. M Gale

Of course there's value in ripping. Only the RIAA and MPAA want you to think that a backup copy means buying another copy. Or that removing DRM is inherently wrong.

4. Frankee Llonnygog

The real threat to quality music

"if you don't look attractive on the Tesco rack, you may not get signed"

So, look forward to loads more attractively packaged product that turns out to be nothing but bland filler of dubious origin.

I can't wait for the compilation CD - Now That's What Tesco Call Music:

Track 1; A horse with no name

Track 2: Crazy horses

Track 3: Saddle-ite of love

etc

5. Shane8
    Joke

What did they expect?

I mean, TPB is blocked so all is well...no more illegal downloading.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What did they expect?

Yeah TPB is totally blocked for me. I had to google TBD proxies to access it indirectly. Wasted 30 seconds of my time that did. Mind you I did buy Adele 21, I wont pay for stuff I have already bought though.

I mean, I found 320bps Led Zep BBC sessions on there. Now I have the CD's but could not be bothered to rip them. So I went to TPB. So if they try anything I'll wave the CD's at them...

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

you have to use a proxy? What version of browser do you have that doesn't use ssl?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Shhhh. THE PIRATE BAY IS BLOCKED. NO-ONE CAN DOWNLOAD ILLEGALLY NOW.

*listens*

I think we got away with it this time.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It is? Damn. Google's public DNS would appear not to agree ;)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Take that, freetards?

What have they got to lose?

There are still plenty of them about. If the industry is doing well (or at least better) despite them, it might not be so bothered about trying to fight them.

1. Euripides Pants

Re: Take that, freetards?

Andrew needs to switch to decaf.

7. Shasta McNasty
    FAIL

Really?

"Peer-to-peer file-sharing, meanwhile, has been in steady decline since the mid-Noughties."

Really? Or is it just that users are becoming harder to identify?

1. P. Lee
      Trollface

Re: Really?

Or people already have the old stuff and won't even pirate the new stuff...

1. Goldmember

"Or people already have the old stuff and won't even pirate the new stuff..."

MUCH more likely. I can count the number of decent albums from the last decade on my fingers and toes.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

"I can count the number of decent albums from the last decade on my fingers and toes."

Look outside the mainstream, and you'll find plenty.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Or alternatively

How cartelism damaged my wallet.

9. ContentsMayVary

0.3% increase? And inflation is what, just now (worldwide)? So music sales are still on the way down...

> Where are the Pink Floydds? The Queens? The Guns n Roses?

There's still a lot of big (as in, can play to full stadia) bands going, but whether they are to your taste or not is a different matter. The Chemical Brothers, The Prodigy, Muse, Coldplay (not my cup of tea mind), The Killers, Florence and the Machine, Radiohead (still touring!) and Jack White to name but a few.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Hey, all of those are to my taste! I have an album or so for most of them (or I Spotify the rest). Even have a The Raconteurs album. Except the Prodigy that is, I might only have an instrumental of theirs, they are rather aggressive.

Thankfully, non of them do dubstep. ;)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Praise the lord the BPI is back in town

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now... will the movie industry take note?

Give people a reasonably priced product and let them use it wherever they like, and people will pay for it. Most people are not thieves and are quite to happy to pay their way in the world. Yes, there are some that refuse to pay, and they are probably also the people who will happily take the time to bypass DRM any way.

Now, the film industry needs to take note. I have Skyfall on triple play.

So, I thought I'd give it a whirl on my Nexus 7, just to see how it works, using the legitimate "Plays Anywhere" version and software. Constant server disconnects and twelve hours later, I have a file on my tablet. Why couldn't they have included this on the DVD? Watching the film I realised just how bad the picture quality was.

No way to improve that, so I popped the DVD into my laptop, and ripped a version off there. The file was slightly bigger than the downloaded version, but, the picture quality is far superior.

What are the chances of me ever trying a digital copy again? Zero. Takes far too long and the final product isn't worth the wait.

Oh, and the first time I tried this useless software, I ended up getting around a dozen different codes from Fox support, none of which would work, so in the end I gave up even trying. Why did I bother trying again?

The solution? Just put a DRM free version of the film on a DVD in something like MP4 format, which just about anything can play, and stop worrying about the pirates, who are perfectly capable of bypassing whatever obstructions are put in place. Make it easy to really watch a film anywhere, and next time there's a choice between DVD/BluRay and a version including a digital copy, I'll pick the digital version. Oh, and don't bother charging extra for it either.

1. Samuel Penn

Re: Now... will the movie industry take note?

Ditto on Skyfall, but couldn't figure out how to get the digital version on Linux. Ripping the DVD worked fine though.

2. Eponymous Cowherd
      Thumb Up

Had the self-same experience with Ultraviolet. Just way more hassle than its worth. I just want a file on the DVD I can copy to my device. If I have to jump through any more hoops than that, then the torrents get my business.

Quite willing to pay for content, but won't put up with:-

• Having to install 3rd party software to view it
      • Not being able to view it on the device of my choosing
      • Having to "sign up" and give personal details to view it

If I can't just load 'n' play, then I'm not interested.

1. Mike Flugennock

Quite willing to pay for content, but won't put up with:-

* Having to install 3rd party software to view it

* Not being able to view it on the device of my choosing

* Having to "sign up" and give personal details to view it...

Oh, yeah, and you forgot:

* Movies that suck

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

P2P is so lame

when you can NZB pretty much anything. Certainly anything current.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

they party, we party

artists party

everybody's happy, yarrrr

14. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

I buy more music now than I ever have

Not just music, but films and games too.

Just to clarify, none of this happened because of anything the music industry did to "stop piracy". The most likely reason is that I'm now exposed to more culture than at any time in the past. Not only that but I can choose where, when and what I am exposed to. This is despite the best efforts of the music industry to make the opposite true.

15. Steve Martins

What people want...

IMHO Spotify finally fulfills a consumer need, but its not the whole picture. I don't necessarily want to own every single track I want to listen to (I am a musician and often listen to stuff for inspiration or to learn but not something I would choose to own) , and I also discover many more artists through the service.

I read an interesting piece on the fact that music lovers want a relationship with the artists they are into, not with the record label they are signed to. This is where the value lies and some people who understand this are using social media to give fans just this. I now see much more fan art,opinions and reactions of other fans than ever before. This leads to higher revenues for the musicians and I for one have attended more gigs as a result of this. I still rarely buy CDs because it has to be something I want to own and add to my collection, and these days the low standard of new music rarely peeks my interest (new artists only get money if they bend over and do what the record companies tell them to do...).

Of course the masses will continue to buy whatever they've heard played incessantly on the radio like the mindless sheep they are - and this is what the music industry really wants (and has gotten very good at manipulating), creativity and uniqueness doesn't line their pockets. If you want evidence, go to Europe and see the diverse and interesting music they have compared to the over produced rehashed tripe that constantly comes out over here.

1. Tom 35

Re: What people want...

Living in Canada, Spotify will not take my money. Seems it would be going to the wrong middle men and they have all agreed to carve up the world between them.

16. teebie

Why "Take that, freetards"

Surely those who download illegally have been shown to, on average, pay more for music than those who don't.

My (unscientific) theory on why Adele could do so well without streaming is that people don't want to fire up a PC before they look out through their window at the rain.

17. Killraven
    FAIL

Seriously?

Take that?

Take what? The article title makes absolutely zero sense relative to the article itself.

More like: Take THAT Music Industry: Give people what they want and you'll actually make money!

1. Silverburn
      Facepalm

Re: Seriously?

Take that broke up if I recall.

And it depresses me that I know something about a crappy manufactured boyband.

18. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

You've got to be kidding!

"The industry pointed to a decline in unlicensed downloads - the closure of Megaupload had a significant knock-on effect on music channeled through Mad Max-style cyber-lockers - and the success of blocking pirate websites."

I can understand their desire to present the biggest slap on their faces in recent months as a big success, but, really, they can just as easily point to the alignment of planets or voices of ancestors and that will be as credible and even a more plausible explanation.

1. Captain Hogwash
      Pirate

Re: You've got to be kidding!

Gold drives a man to dream.

19. FraK
    Mushroom

Arrrrgggghhhh

"There's more consumption than ever"

You don't fucking CONSUME music, man, you listen to it.

1. JetSetJim
      Black Helicopters

Re: Arrrrgggghhhh

No - they wish it to be thought of that way, that way they can sell you the same "meal" again and again as once it is "consumed" there is nothing left of it.

At least I'm sure that's their twisted thought process.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Arrrrgggghhhh

That's one of their big problems - perception. They keep treating us as 'consumers' and forgetting we're actually customers.

20. Kay Burley ate my hamster

Rubbish

No one wants to download X factor rubbish?

21. Paul Shirley

sales rise as DRM-free takes hold?

Surely no coincidence that download sales improve as more providers go DRM free.

It's not a connection the 'biz' will ever accept or even consider and happened despite them. The Apples & Amazons of the world might scare the hell out of the music cartels but are the only way their business model will ever be changed enough to save them.

22. User McUser

Value of an Album

"it makes no sense to settle for pennies from streams when you can bank pounds from purchases: that moment may never come again."

Ummm, why can't one do both? I seem to recall quite a number of highly successful groups that made plenty of money selling albums whilst simultaneously distributing some or all of the same content via streaming (I believe they called it "Radio" back in the day.) Why should an artist ever exclude or limit potential revenue streams?

23. David Kelly 2

Nothing worth stealing

Was forced to listen to broadcast radio the other day in a waiting room and couldn't believe how bad it was. Was wishing for earbuds for my iPhone.

Believe Phish "Farmhouse" was my last purchase. Listening to classic Kansas as I type.

24. Jim 59

Music Industry

I'll cop a righteous down-voting for this, but I can't agree that bringing the industry to its knees will be good for anyone. Professional music will die, and we will have to listen to amateurs. Without the £££, Sting would now be a teacher nearing retirement. Mark Knopfler would be a carpet fitter, or whatever, doing pub gigs and busking weekends. And his music would be poor(er).

All I am saying is that professional is better than amateur. You want a free haircut from Lester Haines ? No. How about some free shoes made by your father-in-law ? This post is not as good as a professionally written Reg article, because it is amateur.

Yes the biz ripped us all off wayback but enough already. Demand free products and you get what you deserve.

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Re: Music Industry

As far as I know most good acts were producing their best music at the time when they were still in dire straits, sorry, financial circumstances.

The money is not a problem for the industry - they seem to have enough money to maintain dedicated lobbyists and buy laws and politicians, yet for all that money they just mass produce commoditised "entertainment" for "consumption" by masses. The more they have their digital economy acts, copyright extensions, DRMs etc, the worse their output becomes.

I am not saying talented musicians should not be paid but that the problem is not in paying or nonpaying - it's in the current structure of the industry. They have become a self-serving parasite which benefits neither the performers nor the public.

2. Don Jefe
      Happy

My father in law is a cobbler. Seriously. I'd love to have another pair of his custom made boots but the one free pair I got for my wedding is all I'll ever get. Can't afford them otherwise.

I'd also take a free haircut from Lester. I went completely bald 25 years ago.

But I agree with your premise. Amateur music may have the soul but it generally doesn't have the sound.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Bunkum.

Amateur: from French amateur "lover of," from Latin amatorem (nominative amator) "lover," agent noun from amatus, pp. of amare "to love"

Professional: "one who does X for a living"

Which musician puts the greater amount of dedication and craft into the details of their art? He who does it because he LOVES to create or he who does it because it's a JOB?

No 'professional' was always such a musician. The first album is considered the best works of most bands (the tracks written when they were considered 'amateurs'). There is a reason the second album is often called the 'difficult' one.

1. Jim 59

You make a romantic point AC and there is some truth in it. But the best music is professionally written and produced. Without the 'biz, we would never have heard of Elvis, or Fleetwood Mac or even Haydn (who was sponsored).

Same for film - who you want to watch, Daniel Day-Lewis in "Lincoln", or your local am-dram society filmed on a mobile phone ?

1. M Gale

"Without the 'biz, we would never have heard of Elvis, or Fleetwood Mac or even Haydn"

The question is, would we care?

"filmed on a mobile phone"

I think you're trying to imply that it's impossible for an amateur band to buy an hour or two of studio time and an engineer for the duration.

2. Vic

> Professional: "one who does X for a living"

Actually, that's not true.

The word "professional" derives from the Latin deponent verb "profiteor", which means "to hold forth".

So when someone describes himself as a professional, all he's actually saying is that he's a gobshite...

Vic.

4. Vic

> Demand free products and you get what you deserve.

Perhaps - but "free products" isn't what this is about.

What we want to be rid of is the offensive side of the music/film industries. If I've bought a DVD, I want to play the film, not watch propaganda and trailers. Given the choice, I respect the law, but there comes a point where the unlawfully-copied option is much more appealing and would be so even if it cost exactly the same as the genuine article.

So yes - I would[1] pay for all the Dire Straits albums. Likewise anything by Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden, or any number of bands of that era. But if all the industry is going to offer me is Eminem and N-Dubz, they really shouldn't be surprised when I don't part with a single beer token...

Vic.

[1] Indeed, I did.

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

I agree with Vic.

To date, free availability of music or movies online never stopped me from paying for the stuff I like.

25. Captain Underpants

The thing about telling people to ignore streaming, or free demos, or pay-what-you-think-it's-worth or all those other models is that the freedom to do that requires the backing of a label.

If you're someone who a record label thinks has the prospect of being a multi-million seller/the vocalist on the single for the new Bond film (for example), you can get them to back you and push you through the traditional retail model and chances are it will work out well for you.

If you're a proficient guitarist who made a name for himself with guitar-based covers of classic videogame soundtracks (for example), that's not so likely to work well. However, the variety of other options now open to independent musicians are, in a very real sense, the difference between being able treat music as something approaching a job and being forced to treat it as an expensive hobby.

It's a bit of a shame that the old bollocks of "chasing pirates has had a huge effect" on the bottom line, because a far more realistic explanation is that making it easily available with a reasonable price is easier and less hassle than cocking about with whatever source of NaughtyWare you care to name. When I think about what it was like trying to find (and buy) music I liked 12-15 years ago compared to now, the paradigm shift is obvious. I'm not really interested in streaming music, personally, but the analogy to TV services seems simple; more importantly, the big thing about streaming is that it's effectively a new version of radio and likely to be the common source of music for the time-rich/cash-poor like kids/teenagers/students. And, well, moving those groups onto legit services from the default "All the legal services are crap, I'll go pirate it" stance is still a win, even if it doesn't generate huge revenues - because if nothing else it predisposes them to use the legit services once they have money.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Consume this.

"There's more consumption than ever, but the value isn't being captured."

Hardly surprising. There's very little put out these days that has any lasting value. Throwaway "artists", visually appealing "performers" and flavor-of-the-day promoters who have long ago decided this isn't about the music.

1. SleepyJohn
      WTF?

Re: Consume this. -- and this, and this, and this

"There's more consumption than ever, but the value isn't being captured." -- What a hideously corporate phrase. Says it all, doesn't it?

"Take that, freetards: First music sales uptick in over a decade" -- Er, what? Are we looking forward to a reasoned article here? Sounds more like a cry from the dunce's corner of the nursery. Watch out for the flying Lego bricks.

Music lover ....... Musician. The internet joins the dots directly for us now. The corporates can go back to selling insurance scams to vulnerable old ladies, or shovelling tarmac onto their perfectly satisfactory driveways.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

From the annals of the bleeding obvious

Found some choice quotes from the link at the end of this article.

..."Subscription services are described by the IFPI as a now “integral part of the recorded music market.”

“Until recently, the vast majority of our revenues came from a handful of countries. Today, digital channels mean we can monetise markets worldwide much more effectively." Warner

We think this is the start of a global growth story for the industry. “ Sony

Duhhh......

What happened?

Did someone spike the scotch with reality pills?

Has the music industry FINALLY (remember Napster first appeared in 1999) realized what the rest of us already knew ?

i.e,

Digital distribution is currently the best answer to CDS and other proprietary formats, and guess what?

--- you can STILL make money off it.

By extension, since the war on Piracy has now clearly been won, this means that terrorism has lost one of its biggest sources of funding,

So we should see less airport strip-searches too.... right?

Err.. perhaps not... better order some more reality pills.... and slip it into the water supply this time

28. Dr.S

Modernizing rarely comes willingly though. Up here in Scandinavia we are currently talking about a second golden age of music sales, with record revenues. Spotify is the main thing of course, but there will hopefully be equally attractive services to rival it soon. The CEO of Universal Music was recently quoted from a seminar as having said "I probably shouldn't say this out loud, but we'd never gotten to here if it wasn't for the pirate bay." Hearing things like that make me regain my faith in rationality.

1. Captain Underpants

@Dr. S

Same as it ever was, then; unauthorised services demonstrate the demand and viability of new options, and after the same old squabbling and sky-is-falling nonsense, the industry eventually acknowledges that maybe if they stop with the lawsuits and put a bit of thought into selling customers the new thing they want, they'll probably make some money.

Now, if only we could get the film and television industries to catch on with this, it might feel like the entertainment industry in general was actually caught up with its audience and operating on a 21st century paradigm. (Eg why in the name of hell won't Sky see sense and eg let someone like me buy Sky Go access without making me switch to Sky for everything else? I don't want to switch, I just want to pay Sky for legal access to Sky Atlantic. Similarly, I'm happy to pay for I-own-it downloads of films or TV shows, but only if they're DRM free - same as with music. Until then, the existing players like Blinkbox and iTunes can suck it.)

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I remember CDs!

Round shiny things, bought down the high street, expensive.

30. phuzz Silver badge

Live music?

I think I probably spent approximately as much on live music as I did on recorded last year, and I probably bought something like 20+ albums last year.

(Spread out between CDs from amazon and local shops, and mp3s and flacs from amazon and whereever else.)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like