back to article Apple assimilates France, Sweden and pals into iCloud

Finnish, Belgian and Cypriot fanbois are among a group of European and Nordic Apple users who woke up today to find themselves able to share films with iCloud. The cloudy service, which stores your content and wirelessly pushes it to all your Apple kit, allows users to access their previously purchased movies and music. If they …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just the usual question..

Apple = US company

What about user privacy?

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Just the usual question..

It's not personal data, it's music and films and apps on their store. They keep one copy of each file and record who is allowed to access it.

Is it a massive problem if someone finds out you bought Justin Bieber's album?

1. Kevin Johnston

I think they will need to have more than just one copy to cover the different language requirements and possibly even 'Board of Film Censor' or whatever each country calls them. Still, I'm sure someone has thought of this before they have to order a few more hard discs from Amazon....

1. JDX Gold badge

>>I think they will need to have more than just one copy to cover the different language requirements and possibly even 'Board of Film Censor' or whatever each country calls them

Then they're not the same files are they.

2. Annihilator
        Alert

"Is it a massive problem if someone finds out you bought Justin Bieber's album?"

In that particular instance, the answer is yes, very much so.

3. ed2020
        Thumb Down

Data about your tastes in music, films and apps is personal data. Sensitive? No. Personal? Yes.

1. ed2020
          FAIL

Forgot to add to my previous post... @JDX. Sorry!

2. JDX Gold badge

Yeah but who really cares. Why is the US government going to demand a list of the MP3s you bought?

1. Don Jefe

Even if the govt wanted my iTunes purchase history so what. They'll know I'm an avid NPR podcast listener & I like traditional Irish and Romanian music.

Oh, and while stuck in an airport for 27 hours I got the paid version of Angry Birds. That is kind of embarrassing...

1. ed2020
              FAIL

@Don Jefe - I couldn't give the tiniest shit about the American government knowing my iTunes purchases (I never said I did). I was merely pointing out that it is personal data, despite JDX's claims to the contrary.

2. Arctic fox
    Mushroom

"Europeans - lower your shields and surrender ..."

Kiss my arse.

3. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    Unhappy

meh,

I have been less than impressed with icloud, i personally preferred mobileMe.

icloud might be free but you get what you pay for.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: meh,

Up to a point, I agree.

I've reached the point I thought I would never get to, where I purchase content from iTunes rather than physical media or elsewhere precisely because of the cloud access features. Using Wifi in Portugal to download a film to watch on the plane back from my existing account isn't something I could easily do elsewhere. The whole idea of no longer loading my device for a trip but loading it during a trip and being able to change my mind is pretty neat.

That said, the file storage facilities of iCloud are truly shit. Whoever decided iDisk was to be scrapped was just nuts...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like