back to article 4G, quad-core, pah. Now connect the next billion bods to mobile web

Phones are here, there and everywhere - but there is a need to drive down costs to connect the next billion or so people to the world of mobile internet. This was a subject tackled by Manoj Kohli, the MD of Bharti Airtel; Dr Nasser Marafih of Ooredoo; our favourite Canadian, Nokia’s Stephen Elop; and new-boy at the GSMA party …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. frank ly

" ... 10 per cent of internet growth causes GDP to rise by 1.2 per cent ..."

Isn't this a case of confusing correlation with causality?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: " ... 10 per cent of internet growth causes GDP to rise by 1.2 per cent ..."

"Isn't this a case of confusing correlation with causality?"

Probably not. In the West where 10% internet growth means downloading better quality jpegs to your stash, or streaming higher quality vids off Youtube, then there's not much economic growth (in fact probably the reverse if you ought to be working).

In developing countries mobiles and the internet are being lobbed into near-subsistence level societies, and the people using them aren't feckless workshy teenage kids fondling an iPhone and listening to crap music all day, they are working people in poor countries with no welfare state, no medical system, and limited savings to provide for the bad times. They will be looking to find out about the weather for farming purposes, to get medical or agricultural advice, to get better prices for their animals, to learn knew ways of doing things.

They'll get round to grumble and bad music in due course.

2. Martin Summers Silver badge

Re: " ... 10 per cent of internet growth causes GDP to rise by 1.2 per cent ..."

600 million out of poverty, erm yeah... Dream on. I think this is one of those rich get richer situations again.

2. Syed
    Stop

Who's the dirty old git...

... that keeps putting up bikini pics for articles? It make's it difficult to read El Reg at work!!!

Stop it I say!

3. Pat 4
    Devil

Damn you Register

Damn YOU! For leading me to an article with a nice picture and removing the picture once I get there!!!!!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like