back to article MasterCard tries to zap PayPal with own-brand mobe wallet

Walk into any of Apple’s 400 shops, pick up an accessory, boxed software or any one of the other items the Mac maker’s stylish emporia have out on shelves, and, if you have an Apple ID and an iPhone, you can buy the products you want without having to interact with one of the firm’s happy-clappy minions. The system works with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andrew Moore
    Unhappy

Eerie...

I just pitched something similar to a Client who was looking for a Virtual Loyalty Card system. It is/was a WiFi/QR code based solution. Now I'm worried that if I roll it out, Apple are going to sue me.

2. TheProf

Flat broke

Once again I ask the question 'how do you pay (or show proof of a valid purchase or season ticket) when your phone battery inconveniently dies?'

That piece of plastic may be 'old fashioned' but it never runs out of juice.

1. auburnman

Re: Flat broke

I'd be more interested in knowing how Apple plan to differentiate between punters with a genuine receipt and fraudsters trying to walk out with an iMac and a doctored photo of proof of purchase showing on their screen?

1. Number6

Re: Flat broke

The way I'd do it is to have a barcode as part of the receipt that can be scanned by the security guard to confirm that it's valid. That would make it harder to fake one, you'd have to be able to generate a barcode that referred to a recent transaction in that store. If numbers were allocated sequentially across all stores rather than just local, you'd have a hard time guessing a valid one for the store in which the thief was operating.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have to dispute your claim that 'MasterCard comes late to e-payments', back in the late 90's it purchased MXI, which had created the Mondex e-wallet, MultOS for smartcards and a host of related technologies.

Mondex died off, along with VISA Cash, but anyone using an Oyster PAYG card on the tube is walking in their footsteps.

1. Mike VandeVelde
      Holmes

"an area in which MasterCard itself has already dabbled, with its PayPass system"

Seriously. "Dabbled"? My Mastercards have been PayPass enabled for years now. I almost exclusively use Interac, but I'm pretty sure that almost every terminal I've seen for years has accepted them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MasterCard#PayPass

http://www.mastercard.ca/cardholder-services/mobile-payments.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interac

"Since its national launch in 1994, Interac Direct Payment has become so widespread that, since 2001, more transactions in Canada were completed using debit cards than cash."

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Consumer Credit Act 1974

What I would want to know is which of these cunning schemes (if any) would fall under the Consumer Credit act? PayPal and Google Checkout don't, for example, which is a major disadvantage compared with using a credit card if you're buying stuff costing more than £100.

1. Toxteth O'Gravy

Re: Consumer Credit Act 1974

PayPal and Google don't (yet) need to be. It's the card they're acting as a proxy for that's covered by the Act, leaving you with the opportunity to sue the card issuer - or, better, get them to sort it all out - if neither the seller nor PayPal/Google can address your complaint.

1. Danny 14

Re: Consumer Credit Act 1974

I was going to post something similar. I like this idea better than paypal as it should fall under CCA - being that it is your credit card you are using.

5. Ol'Peculier
    Unhappy

PayPal & NFC

I have a PayPal NFC card which is linked to my bank account. I've tried using it at my local Wetherspoons and it's been declined about 75% of the time.

So, they've got a way to go before I could fully rely on it.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

but why would anyone?

walk into an apple strore?!

1. Haku
      Coat

Re: but why would anyone?

Because they were looking for the opticians next door.

2. HP Cynic

Re: but why would anyone?

And I presume by "pick up" they actually mean "buy".

7. Dan Paul
    Devil

Here's an "opportunity"!

Since we are obviously moving towards a cashless society (whether that's wise or not), perhaps the real opportunity for NFC is to have the "gubbermints" themselves take up the NFC cause and stop printing/stamping money and provide a card instead.

That way everyone will become a customer of a "single payer" monetary system and the banks and credit card companies can be reduced to payment processors.

What better way to reduce the deficeit if the "gubbermints" can take 3-5 % of every transaction, online or offline.

What could go wrong?

(For those who didn't get it, there was an element of sarcasm in my post)

8. Silverburn

Useage models

The way I see it, this "bonking" tech is useful for high-throughput stores, sell high volume, cheap, commodity-based items.

Pay by bonk/wallet for a £2,000+ imac, which I'll maybe do once every 5 years? No...methinks not. When I buy a computer worth £2,000, I want it delivered on a velvet cushion, carried by angels, and Steve Jobs himself getting out the grave to shake hands and thank me personally for my purchase. "bonking" doesn't really make my high ticket purchase feel "special".

And the rest of Apple's range of goodies hardly comes under the "high volume, cheap, commodity-based items" banner either.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Interested under what law this would come under - Sale of Goods Act or the Distance Selling Regulations as you are effectively buying it off the internet albeit being in-store.

Would anyone care to test by returning something within the seven day cooling off period? :)

10. Alister
    Meh

The change now taking place, ... is consumers’ growing desire to pay not with a card but their phone.

Is that really the case? I am perhaps a luddite (despite working in IT) but I have no desire to pay by phone, and I haven't yet met anyone who expressed that desire.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The only time it could be handy is if you lost the card/wallet. Having a backup would be handy.

The flip side is of course, lose your phone and there is potentially a way to use your card stored right there. Considering many peoples personal security... seems a bit dangerous to me.

I'm not even really keen on RFID cards to be honest, for purchase. Fine with Oyster though. No direct link into my bank account. Call me old fashioned, I'm not even thirty, but I quite like the idea of having a bit of a physical gap between.

1. Syed

@Anonymous Coward 16:41

"I'm not even thirty" -- show off!

11. Herby
    Joke

Here is an idea...

Use this interesting method of payment that involves paper with (in the USA) green backs and pictures of dead presidents and other elder statesmen (UK version seems to have pictures of some fancy lady). It always seems to work and you might even get some metallic goodies in return, along with other nice pictures.

Sorry, I'm a bit old fashioned at times.

12. benge

Coles trials MasterCard Mobile Wallet to pay at checkout with smartphone -

http://www.techguide.com.au/menu-news-by-categories/mobiles/1657-coles-trials-mastercard-mobile-wallet-to-pay-at-checkout-with-a-smartphone

13. Velv
    FAIL

Apple Store Receipt

The Apple Store system sounds fantastic.

Walk in, pick it up, scan it, generate a receipt, walk out the door and show the receipt to security - all from a jailbroken app that shows receipts on the screen.

Now I understand why Apple is keeping money in the bank - its to cover the losses just walking out the shop door.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like