back to article Fujitsu to get oldsters out the house and thoroughly caned

Fujitsu exhibited a prototype of its GPS-enabled walking stick yesterday at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. The futuristic stick is aimed at getting older people out of the house, but would be equally at home slung over the arm of an Apple hipster while their iPod Nikes are in the wash. The user can configure their route …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ketlan
    Meh

Twice the fun for quite a lot of dosh

I have to use two sticks to get around - twice the fun at twice the price. Anyway, what's the guess on how much this thing might cost? £100-150 would be mine.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Twice the fun for quite a lot of dosh

"Anyway, what's the guess on how much this thing might cost? £100-150 would be mine."

Seems a bit pricey for what appears to be a mechanical paint stirrer with a few LEDs in the top. I'll be there's no remote control at all - it just gives random directions, because you can always blame the fogey when they get lost.

2. hplasm
    Unhappy

"...all that is missing is a mechanism to remind you why you went there in the first place..."

That's what I would want one for!

3. Don Jefe

Status Monitor

"Stick has detected an increased heart rate. If you are in danger swing Stick wildly until help arrives".

4. George 8

genius on many levels

This is a work of genius on many levels, and yet potentially very patronising. All Alzheimer suffers need to do now is remember the stick AND how to use it...

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. a well wisher

The only fly in the ointment is ....

"The user can configure their route on a PC before downloading it to the stick via Bluetooth."

tf the use is compos mentis enough to achieve that, then they probably don't need the stick !

1. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

Re: The only fly in the ointment is ....@a well wisher

You assume that the "user" is the oldster. If, instead, you think of this as a way of controlling your oldsters, then a range of interesting possibilities come to mind - like getting rid of unwanted & difficult elderly relatives, or handing them out free at a local care home and controlling your own coffin-dodger botnet.

So, downvote me, and I'll set 100 raving old people on you, in the belief that you are their GP. They will hunt you down, slowly, indefatigably, moving slowly and relentlessly. No matter how fast you run, they will keep plodding on, until they catch you, and start sharing details of their ailments with you. Haahaha!

Now, how can I make money out of this? Simple blackmail? Advertising? Or innovative physical denial or service attacks by sending them to form queues at the post office or other targets?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

" Apple hipster" as in broken hip? Only "fogeys" want apple now. Hello, last decade called wanting their phone back.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How do you charge the battery?

The charging mechanism will make it or break it.

The intended users of this device can not always be relied upon to plug things in. Especially not if the connector is small and fiddly.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like