back to article So a health boss, a GM veep and Qualcomm's big cheese walk into a bar

The GSMA, which represents the world's mobile networks, tries to get people from outside the industry to give speeches at its annual Mobile World Congress shindig - preferably ones unlikely to upset anyone. This had led to an odd mix of folk from inside and outside the mobile world sharing a stage at the conference, held in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ecofeco Silver badge
    FAIL

Why?

Why do I want this when I have my own device? And why will it cost a thousand dollars (it will you know) when my device costs me less than $100?

Do even get me started on the warranty repairs.

1. Bertram Joseph

Re: Why?

If you are referring to GM building 4G into future cars then I would say the value would be in the integration. You can certainly do plenty of interesting things with your phone as a hotspot in the car, but having it designed in means it should be a lot more seamless (e.g. native access to sensors, simplified user experience, etc). Of course, you're right. I expect early adopters will pay for the privilege and it still requires execution on the part of GM and third parties.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Because having a 4G modem built in to the car will allow GM to snoop on all the traffic on the CAN bus, and void your warranty if you go too fast, or accelerate too hard while the engine's cold, or don't get the oil changed when you should, or drive too far with the Check Engine light on, or shut down your car if you miss a payment (or they THINK you have missed a payment), or dump the black box info on where you went (since the phone always knows where it is) and when you went there for the nice policeman (no need for a warrant, officer, we want to comply) or for the nice taxman (that's a nice road you were on, that'll be a pretty penny in road tax).

Oh wait, you asked why YOU want this - I thought you asked why THEY want this.

Hmmmm.......

Nope. I got nothin'.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You are missing the point. Government will know where your car is all the time, and it will be able to figure if you speed or run red lights soon. The Brits will drool over auto-collecting the daily London car tax ($8/day your car is in the city boundaries), and they won't need all those traffic cams and license plate detection systems!

Brave New World!

1. JeffyPooh
          Pint

If it becomes too intrusive, just cut the blue/green/red/black/whatever wire.

I'd be far more concerned about the yet-another-fricken monthly airtime bill (probably $30- $50 per month).

2. LesboInMansBody

Call me old fashion

Now car's are hermetically sealing us in a mindless wasteland. Entertainments systems in the back seat ! If Hemingway were alive and riding in such a car he would rip out the unit, throw it out the window before putting a bullet to it. He'd then open a bottle of scotch, hang his arm out the window while engaging in some conversation with the car next to him. If necessary they would then pull over and settle their difference with a good honest fist fight, or if he was a she, then she might hop in the back seat, take a swig from his bottle, a puff from his cigarette, then climax their friendship before each drove their separate ways.

Its going to be a sad time for growing up as a teenager.

3. PacketPusher
    Black Helicopters

MalWare

With the computer controlling so much of the car and soon even self driving cars, I'm not sure that I want my car connected to any networks where it can pick up some malware. Imagine saying, "Home James!" and find that the car takes you to a store for shopping instead of taking you home.

4. Herby
    Black Helicopters

4G modem in a vehicle?

So it can report my every move and all the accidents I cause (along with speed violations) to a government agency. Sorry, not for me!

Now where is the red wire that needs clipping!

5. Jim O'Reilly
    Headmaster

Can we do more than TweeT?

Can we build an EKG kit to feed back to a remote doctor?...Yes we can.

Can we have a nurse give advice for minor ailments over the phone?...Yes we can

Can that nurse prevent most doctor's office visits?...Yes she can

Can we educate our kids online?...Yes we can

Will it be a better education?...Yes and no. It will help self-paced learning, and supplement live teachers. It will provide class courses in science and technology. It will need discipline to get results, which means a classroom setting.

Should we try? ... Yes we should!

6. Euripides Pants
    FAIL

No GM cars for me

First OnStar, now this....

7. JeffyPooh
    Pint

Headline: "health boss, a GM veep"

Same thing, isn't it?

Isn't GM very similar to Ferrari in that building cars is merely a sideline? Ferrari uses the commercial road car marketplace to fund their racing team, while GM builds horrid plastic sloth-mobiles to fund their primary purpose: health and pension plans.

8. John 62
    Holmes

why do people look at their phones once an hour?

People use their phones as timepieces.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like