back to article Ruby 2.0.0 adds syntax sparkle, boosts performance

The Ruby community announced the first stable release of Ruby 2.0 on Sunday, exactly 20 years to the day since Ruby creator Yukihiro "Matz" Matsumoto first conceived of the language on February 24, 1993. Ruby 2.0.0-p0, as the release is formally known, represents the first major revision of the language since Ruby 1.9 was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. M Gale

It's probably fashionable to throw rotten tomatoes at me now, but I do quite like that little language. Simple to get to grips with, but with enough capacity to be brainbendingly wierd if you want it to be, and enough syntactic sugar to be oh awesomely sweet in places.

The only problem it ever had is it's not the fastest interpreted language in the world. Faster than BASIC but not by all that much. 1.9.x improved that. Let's see what 2.x does!

1. breakfast Silver badge
      Thumb Up

I concur. The most pleasant language to write code in, performance not quite up to that of other alternatives like Python or Perl. If 2.x resolves that, the case for using other languages will be significantly weakened.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge
      Thumb Up

All good

Not a Ruby programmer myself but it's good to see it thriving: competition is good. The syntactic sugar looks like it could have come from Python. This is good as it shows how the developers of the various languages are not to proud to see what the others are doing. The only thing I really don't like is the ternary operator as you can quickly write fairly impenetrable code with it. I find Straight boolean evaluation (even chained) preferable but better still is using dispatching.

3. Ru

I suspect that a lot of the bad feeling that Ruby accrued over the last few years was down to the sudden massive popularity of Rails with the cool kids and their tech startups and the subsequent very messy divorce as the language's shortcomings became apparent.

Take a look at the other implementations of the language like JRuby or Rubinius you'll find that Ruby is performing pretty well these days.

1. joejack

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3t5cbp/

2. Chewi
    Thumb Up

Already using it here...

...and it flies!

3. Dakuan

The performance issues were largely resolved with 1.9.3 anyway. I was recently liberated from .NET to ruby / rails development and am loving it. The ruby gems ecosystem is awesome although some of the things rails does / at least encourages gives me the heebie jeebies

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like