back to article Array-flogger NetApp: Don't worry sir, we'll look after your data

NetApp has recorded recession-proof results with increased revenues and profits, and it sees more coming as it develops a strategy of becoming a data manager for its customers, wherever that data resides. Revenues for NetApp's third fiscal 2013 quarter, ended 25 January 2013, were $1.63bn, 4 per cent higher than a year ago. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pssshhhh... Refreshed midrange

The new midrange is the same box they had earlier. It is just a glorified name for a list price reduction. My net price has not changed -- the SW is as expensive as ever.

The startups are after them and they can't move fast enough. Everytime I ask my rep about a feature or change... it's coming. Hope you are listening Netapp - if you do not change your ways and accelerate your innovation and innovate your pricing, enterprise guys like me will write you one and for all... Cheers

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Close...

The new box absolutely isn't the same. They more than doubled the memory in both systems and added two 10gbe or 8gb FC ports via an add-in card. They also added I/O expansion in the smaller model.

1. Man Mountain

Re: Close...

Wow, exciting changes there!! Innovation at its' finest!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Granted the price performance has improved, but the performance hasn't. The new midrange boxes are in the same performance envelope. If I need higher performance I have to spend more on software with the fas6000.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Can I get the same from adding an IO card?

2. Franko Davidson
    FAIL

Wrong on Pssshhhh... Refreshed midrange

Not sure where you get your information, but the new FAS3220 and FAS3250 out perform the models they replace and they do it at a 20% lower list and a slightly lower street price. So yes your final cost might be similar to what you have paid in the past, but you are getting more for your money including the ability to do SSD cache and more FlashCache.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wrong on Pssshhhh... Refreshed midrange

Do you work for Netapp, their VAR or their PR firm? I find all your comments to be very biased towards netapps.

These aren't new boxes. Let's face it. They are running out of news worthy events, so they are buying companies or tweaking existing boxes and renaming them to overcome the 3210 issues with flash PAM support (I am still pissed that we weren't made whole because we are not strategic).

That is not innovation. It's hand waving resulting in the same price/performance.

Franko my friend... If you want to refute it you should come with facts on the street price.

1. Franko Davidson

In full disclosure, I am a NetApp sales rep and am simply trying to make sure everyone is clear on the announcements as there is misinformation out there and there are important differences including the PAM support you mention with the more advanced code levels.

As a sales rep I have priced the new boxes against the old ones and customers are generally paying slightly less on an identically configured 3220 or 3250 than they had paid in the past on the3140 and 3160 a few years back. Your mileage may vary as there are many factors that go in to pricing, but that is my experience.

Regarding the PAM support, no vendor is going to go back and say that I am sorry the product that you have on the floor today that was designed 5 years ago doesn't support every combination of code and hardware available today, we will give you the new box at no charge. I know that sucks and I used to be a customer and have been on the receiving end of that, but unfortunately that is Information Technology.

Every vendor has their challenges. What I do know is NetApp is growing at 20% per year, is the #2 storage vendor in the world by revenue, the #1 midrange storage vendor by usable capacity shipped is the #1 provider of storage to the US Federal government and has the largest contiguous installation of storage in the world with 750PB at Lawrence Livermore, so despite the challenges, NetApp must be doing something right, or at least less wrong than the other storage vendors.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I commend the full disclosure, but demand a fact check.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like