back to article UK bikers skate on sticky grit

UK bikers have launched an online petition* aimed at getting the government to rethink its "sticky grit" de-icing strategy. The Highways Agency first trialled a molasses/grit concoction back in 1994, the BBC records, because common-or-garden grit can easily be swept from the road by wind or rain. Accordingly, it threw some …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sheep love it though...

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_2181287.html

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Take a cue from U.S.

The latest development in melting off roads in Northern New York State where we just received 85-114 inches of snow is to use brine to melt off the roads. Not only does this work as effectively as rock salt but it reduces the necessary amount of rock salt and labor used to cover the roads.

One municipality near here went from using 15 tons of rock salt and multiple staff to salt its roads once and now it only takes them 1 ton of salt and one staff member to do the same work.

They've saved $10,000 USD already this year and that includes the cost of the equipment to distribute the brine from their trucks.

Not only can this save tax payers money but less salt on the roads means less salt into local rivers and streams and the roads still stay ice free for two and four wheeled motorists/cyclists.

3. Jasmine Strong

I don't think you get to say that

Roads in the USA are so completely terrible that I really don't think any American advice will help anyone. For starters, Americans don't seem to understand that roads need camber to shed liquid, so water pools on the freeway every time it rains. This is possibly why brine de-icing works there. On European roads, and certainly British roads, it would just run straight off.

4. John

Aussie Road User

Mollases - It's no wonder English roads melt when the temperature goes over 60oF. The stuff would boil away here, the air temp regularly hits 120oF. God only knows how hot the roads get.

Salt - Now that sounds good for the car ! The Japanese cars must literally melt with rust.

Snow - You're welcome to the stuff. The only ice I want to see is that heaped around my next cold beer.

5. Graham Jordan

Less bikers on the road?

You mean to say this stuff kills bikers? Why has it not been rolled out nationally already?

6. 955i

Graham Jordan

Mr Jordan, I am sorry to have to tell you that you are a twat.

I assume that you didn't already know this or you wouldn't have posted such an idiotic comment.

7. Ed

Graham Jordan

955i said it all, mr Jordan you truly are a moron...

I hope you choke on your next meal.

8. Jasmine Strong

You're a tool, Jordan

Foolish child.

This topic is closed for new posts.