back to article HTC settles with FTC over smartphone security holes

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has announced a settlement with smartphone-maker HTC over complaints that its handsets are riddled with security failings, and the government watchdog says it will check on compliance for ... wait for it ... the next 20 years. The FTC complaint claims that when HTC customized Android and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LarsG
    Unhappy

The question now is not what they have done, but what they have done to fix it?

Are they now trustworthy or not?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What sort of holes are we talking though? boot loader being unlocked, easy to remove SIM lock?

Y'know, all those things that consumers like.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I would guess they would be like the ones mentioned in the article.

A massive leap, I know.

3. Snake Silver badge

Interestingly, I got a security patch pushed to my phone about 3 hours prior to reading this. Now I know exactly WHY

4. Caerdydd_Mike

Nawty

My Evo 3D just offered up a "Personalisation Update." Click Details and it became an "Important Security Update."

Trying to play it down?

5. asdf
    FAIL

20 years?

Ha the way HTC is going they will be a going concern in three years. As a Thunderbolt owner HTC and shoddy software is a given I can tell you.

6. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Donkey Balls

My HTC phone sucks them regularly due to its crap software, so being full of inviting orifices for those indulging in nefarious activities comes as no surprise.

Really, why is crap security not an issue that has a basic legal basis by now? I know you can never be 100% secure/safe by design, but so much of today's products (generally the software, but not always) are pushed out as utter crap with hope/promise/day of unicorns coming that things will be fixed.

It is about time that security should be an automatic liability unless the supplier can show (with a straight face) that reasonable care and good practice has been followed in the design, implementation, and testing of the product.

7. dchap
    Meh

micro$oft

exactly how has microsoft avoided being hit with the kind of suit?

8. Daleos

Are we just singling out HTC over this? If memory serves, most of the manfucturers were just as lax. I definitely remember there being a lot of manufacturers being hauled over the coals for the Carrier IQ controversy.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like