back to article Space powers join forces to hit Moon and Mars

As NASA greenlights its next Shuttle launch (8 June, for those keeping track), 14 international space agencies have agreed to cooperate on a rather more grandiose mission: bringing samples of the Martian surface back to Earth. The group, which includes NASA and the European Space Agency (ESA), has published a document, entitled …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Morely Dotes

So the joint ventrue will have...

the combined Agency's initials painted on the rocket, then?

I should imagine "AsiBNSCCNESCNSACSACSIRODLREsaISROJAXAKARINASANSAURoscosmos " might require rather a larger rocket than originally planned. Perhaps they should aim for Jupiter instead of Mars, as, once they get to the crew capsule on top, they'll be halfway to Mars anyway.

2. Lucy Sherriff (Written by Reg staff)

Poppins

You missed off "expialidocious" from the end, there...

Lucy

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lessons from the moon

I'm taking it that we probably haven't learned anything from bringing rocks back from the moon...

such as bringing back a biological sample, however unlikely that it is, that may be dangerous to ANY species on this planet.

I seem to remember that NASA had no quarantine procedures for returned moon rocks (much less their own people) to verify that there was no danger.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And you think that the public moon rocks are the real ones ?

They will never release the real Moon or Mars rocks to the public. The real ones are always hidden along with the real mission goals.

5. Mike VandeVelde

interesting language

"could benefit the whole economy" - The whole economy? The entire thing? I'm sure it's economicalnesss will be pleased...

"an important step in an evolving process towards a comprehensive global approach to...." zzzzzzzz.... what was that?

Where do they find these people?

6. Gilbert Wham

Lessons from the moon?

"I seem to remember that NASA had no quarantine procedures for returned moon rocks (much less their own people) to verify that there was no danger."

Yes they did. They were quarantined after landing. For two weeks I believe.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And you think that the public moon rocks are the real ones ?

> They will never release the real Moon or Mars rocks to the public.

Well of course not, after all, we know it was all a conspiracy and the landings were faked!

8. JonClarke

Curious range of responses here

The GES is simply a non-binding strategy that will enable to better cooperation in space exploration. This is a worthy declaration that builds in the reality of more than 40 years of colloborative space exploration. The past 40 years have seen probles sent to every major body in the solar system, and many of the smaller ones. With the increasing number of space faring nations and the increasing capabilities for space exploration such a strategy makes eminent sense. Most who have posted seem to have absolutely no idea as what all of this is about or any sense of vision.

Morely Dotes seems to think this is an excluse for smart aleck comments about the number of agencies taking part.

"Lessons from the Moon" seems unaware that NASA had extensive quaratine proceedures for the first lunar samples to ensure thare was no biological hazards. Fruthermore there is an extensive literature on how to handle futures samples from Mars and elsewhere.

"And you think that the public moon rocks are the real ones ?" appears to be ignorant of the fact that the Apollo samples (and those from the Soviet Luna probes" have been studied by hundreds of institutions round the world.

Mike VandeVelde cynicism about the rewards for investment in space science and technology is ironic since it is made on a technology that owes much to investment in space. As for finding statements about global goals in space exploration sleep inducing, that is his problem. Or does he think there should be no global goals, nbo global cooperation or perhaps no space exploration at all?

9. the Jim bloke

the real project killer

is that Hollywood will have to find someone who can do a convincing "generic european accent" in order to fake the mission...

10. JonClarke

Questions

Jim Bloke

Why fake a mission?

What makes you think that missions to the Moon and Mars would be faked?

How do you think is it possible to fake such missions?

Do think that any past or present missions have been faked?

11. Sean Aaron

Why cooperate on Mars but not Luna?

I don't get that. Are US interests in Mars different from the Moon?

12. Colin Jackson

Jeez

JonClarke, get a sense of humour transplant ASAP.

13. JonClarke

Mars but not the Moon

Sean

Good question. The US is working with others on lunar missions. For example next years Indian mission will carry some Us instruments. However, as I read it, when it comes to human missions, the US wants to be in the driving seat. This does not rule out participation by other nations or consortia, but they will be add-ons, rather than core technologies and capabilities.

14. JonClarke

sense of humour

Colin

I have a great sense of humour. But it doesn't extend to certain subjects. Space mission hoax claims, which are historical vandalism of the most noxious kind, are among them.

15. David

sennse of humour

JonClarke

you remind me of a bloke I work with, and he is the most boring wanker to whom I have ever had to listen.

16. JonClarke

Well David

Obviously he isn't me :-)

17. JonClarke

Global Exploration Strategy Document

For those interested in reading more, the full 24 page document on the Global Exploration Strategy can be found here http://www.space.gc.ca/asc/eng/resources/publications/default.asp#global . It is quite an interesting read.

This topic is closed for new posts.