1. Corinne
    Unhappy

Facebook takedowns

Does anyone have any advice on getting that bane of human existance Facebook to take down a site? Friends of mine have found a site using their company name which is posting very distressing personal lies and business-damaging information about them. Initial Facebook response to them complaining about this was "you can block it so you can't see it yourself" which isn't really the point - they want it taken down.

The people who have the site are passing themselves off as the real company, though they've said that it's closed down (it hasn't!), so surely Facebook should be made to remove it on that basis alone......

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Facebook takedowns

I don't personally have a facebook account, and probably never will. I've visited the site maybe eight times, total, for birth/graduation/marriage related pictures. So I thought "how hard can this info be to find?" ... www.metacrawler.com ... search on "Facebook Harrassment", sans quotes.

http://www.facebook.com/help/434138713297607/

Or simply email the time hono(u)red "abuse@" address. @facebook.com, in this case, of course ;-)

Took all of about ten seconds. Including typing this.

1. Corinne

Apparently she tried the "abuse@" address & got no joy. I was more wondering if there were certain key words that would make FB act as they didn't seem to think passing themselves off as someone else was good enough reason for a takedown.

1. jake Silver badge

Defamation of character? Identity Theft? Fraud?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon