back to article Apple updates iOS, does not fix passcode-bypass hack

Apple released iOS 6.1.2 on Tuesday, an update that it says will fix the battery-draining Exchange bug — which it very well may do – but the update does not fix the finger-dancing hack that allows you to bypass an iPhone's passcode, launch the Phone app, and access all of its contacts, phone-history information, and the like. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mayday
    Gimp

Why is it?

That I used to be all excited when an update came through for my Mac 5-10 years ago because all this cool new stuff was going to happen, but now I dread an update and wait months to install it because all this nasty crap happens?

I used to be able to say that "it just works" about my Apple stuff but not so much these days.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge
      Devil

Re: Why is it?

It has grown up.

Once upon a time things used to be simple, feature-list short and dependencies easy to manage. No longer the case. Classic case of "mature platform" with "legacy". A new developer comes along, touches something he does not fully understand and all hell breaks lose in an area that is perceived as completely unrelated.

It will now take some seriously fascist release management and architecture to put that under control and based on what Apple has been releasing I do not quite see that one happening.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
        Happy

all hell breaks lose

I don't wish to be a grammar-nazi, but I was just tickled by what I think is the first time I've ever seen someone type lose when they meant loose. Of course we've all seen it a million times the other way...

Its a rediculous typo!!!one!1!

2. Captain Scarlet
      WTF?

You had a Mac with MAC OS9 that worked O_O

<Insert Bomb Icon> Sorry, a system error has occured

2. Boris1558
    Meh

Google Calendar and 6.1

Well the broken shared repeating calendar entries did not return, but first attempt at editing did not cause the event to disappear so 6.1.2 is a modest success.

3. ukgnome

I thought these sort of exploits were on on Windows devices - still the battery life fix is great news.

Only the glaring security hole to fix, just as well apple devices don't get malware.

*checks news - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21510791

** holy smudge - I guess Apple is the new Microsoft!

4. SMabille

Bricked mine...

Not sure if it's an isolated incident or not, upgraded iPhone 4 from 6.1 to 6.1.2 and now looping in recovery mode (bricked).

Sounds like a trip to Apple Store soon to get it replaced :-(

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bricked mine...

here is the good news. As long as it hasn't been jailbroken or swimming, Apple will usually replace it on the spot. In these situations their CS is pretty good. I did a 4S from 5.1 to 6.1.1 the other day, via iTunes (not over the air) and it went flawlessly. YMMV

2. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Re: Bricked mine...

Updated a 4S from 6.1->6.1.1->6.1.2 and it's fine, but of course the fix for the lock screen bug means another update and another re-enter of the cellular data setup (giffgaff). That's what bugs me about Apple, you can't have an unsigned .ipcc file :(

5. Mick Sheppard
    WTF?

Erm ... read the update description

I don't understand the slant of this article at all. The update says that it fixes the Exchange issue, it has no mention of the passcode-bypass hack. Why would anyone expect it to fix it?

Perhaps El Reg would rather Apple wait to include all fixes in a single update. Oh, that would mean that they were holding back fixes that were having a real impact on users. Dammed if they do, dammed if they don't. Personally I'd rather they release updates as and when a fix is available.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: I don't understand

It's quite straightforward. There's a bug on iPhones that bypasses the lock screen, Apple announced they were working on a fix, the Register thought that this update might include the fix, it doesn't.

Apple are notoriously tight lipped about what's in their updates so the fact the fix isn't mentioned in the press release doesn't mean they haven't fixed it. Bugs that Apple don't like to talk about tend to get silently fixed without mention in the release notes, which is why you need to try the update to find out what's changed.

2. Don Jefe

Re: Erm ... read the update description

Individual updates for every problem are a shitty solution. The Law of Requirements guarantees that any time you require your (device) it will be updating and needing to restart.

6. Yves Kurisaki
    Thumb Down

Since upgrading to 6.1.2 my battery indicator doesn't want to go past 86%

I can already hear the advice from Apple support.. "clear all your settings and spend a day setting everything back up"

I'm getting pretty fed up with the shit now.

Android is starting to look very nice.

1. HandleOfGod

I jumped from Apple to Android and I swapped one set of problems for another. Don't get me wrong, I loved my iPhone and I love the Droid I replaced it with. But the fact remains these devices are the bleeding edge of technology. When you're pushing the boundaries of known capabilities things will always be a little flakey.

7. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

It says in the previous article,

it was fixed in 6.1.1 - or maybe it wasn't?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It says in the previous article,

No, the lock screen glitch wasn't fixed in 6.1.1. iOS 6.1.1 fixed the bug that affected the iPhone 4S where it lost network connectivity.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like