back to article Infamous malware group calls it quits

The shutters are being pulled down on old school virus writers' group 29A. 29A, hexadecimal for 666, is an underground VXer collective known for creating the first Win 2000 virus, the first 64bit virus, and early examples of mobile malware that infected devices such as PDAs. The group also published information on how to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous
    Thumb Up

What next?

They'll have to go out and meet girls for the first time I suppose. Still, better late than never.

2. Pierre
    Pirate

"professionally developped"

"Instead of getting proof of concept malware from the likes of 29A, we're dealing with the Storm Worm Trojan and other sophisticated "professionally developed" botnet clients."

And it has not really begun yet. The most dangerous of these "professionally developped" baddies has yet to spread. It's named after the famous "hasta la vista, baby" line, meaning in this case "kiss your box kood bye". I bet you know what I mean.

Arrrrrh!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Maybe they can do something useful ,..

like writing a virus that deletes all the listing violations from ebay ... something that ebay could partly do itself, if it bothered to study all the user-submitted violation reports properly, but simply isn't willing to.

4. Alan W. Rateliff, II
    Paris Hilton

Pros riding on coat-tails of the hobbyists?

I wonder how many professional Vxers are basing their wares on the hard works of those who do it for fun. If all the guys doing this for fun stop, what would happen to the pros? Would we start to see really crappy malware, something along the lines of a process named "stealingyourpasswordz.exe"?

Paris, basing her wares on the hard works of those who do it for fun.

5. heystoopid
    Coat

I suppose

I suppose when Sony BMG re-released the forgotten root kit attack units against M$ OS in 2005 it had to happen as the old guard leave the room the new more sneaky young punks crawl through the back doors left wide open !

6. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Pirate

Horses for courses

"Traditional virus writers have drifted away from the scene to be replaced by more shadowy coders creating sophisticated Trojans aimed at turning an illicit profit."

Hmmm? Those with SMARTs are much more into making QuITE Obscene legal profits even though their "partners", pillars of the establishment who are old enough to know better, may be considered and subsequently proven to be the real virus which has been effecting Systems with their lemmings rush into illicit profits [Sub Prime] and Debt masquerading as Spending Power [Credit Crunch] and all of it based on a MisPerception and a Great Deception.

Quite what you would like to call those criminals, doesn't really matter although it is entertaining and amusing to listen to them thinking that they are something else as well ....... were it not so pathetic and bad of them.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Put a condom over your mouse

Best way to avoid a virus.

This topic is closed for new posts.