back to article Singaporean men in naked web cam extortion scam

Singaporean police have warned men in the city state of a five-fold increase in extortion cases in which they are coaxed into a state of undress, secretly filmed and then asked to hand over cash to prevent release of the resulting video. Cops in the island nation said the number of such incidents has shot up from 11 in 2011 to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. El_Fev
    Thumb Up

The Cane! we should put them in charge of school discipline, what our fecking results rocket!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Must be cultural, I couldn't care less if someone wants to post a naked picture of me......

1. ratfox
        Trollface

Probably means nobody would want to see it

1. Thorne

Probably means people would pay not to see it....

2. Steven Jones

@AC

As long as it's done anomalously I suppose...

2. frank ly
      Headmaster

@El_Fev

"... what our fecking results rocket!"

It should be "watch our..." Your use of vulgarity is also noted. Report to the Deputy Head at break.

2. JaitcH
    WTF?

Can you blame the men? Check out a Singaporan wife - enough to make a freezer look hot

I was based in LEE Kwan-Yews dictatorship, Singapore, for several years and was well integrated in to the Chinese community knowing many people on a family basis.

Ignoring the fact that Singaporean males are somewhat childish around the subject of sex, having met many of the islands 'matrons' I can well understand why they might fall for this trick.

If the women loosened up more, there might be fewer 'spare tyres/tires' in circulation. The mainland Chinese are much more liberated - although there are still a fair number 'spare tyres/tires' around.

I wonder why the Singy police never intervened, given that residential computers are restricted by a fire wall and subject to active monitoring.

3. Chris Hawkins
    Linux

Naked Web Cam?

I've heard about the weirdest fetishes in my time but a "Naked Web Cam"????

Please!!!!!!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"five years in prison and five strokes of the cane"

Bring back the cane. Replace ASBO's with the cane or lash.

Let's instill some discipline into the 'glish.

5. Pen-y-gors

But did they...

upload the video of the caning to youtube?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But did they...

I suggest allowing the victims an hour alone with the women and a cane...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Prudes... assuming I was single at the time I would not care... black mail only works when the other person has something you don't want to be made public...

1. Cameron Colley

You may not care, but others might.

Might not go down well at your grandmother's bible study group, for example. How about that prospective employer whose a stickler for respectability? Perhaps a prospective wife may not be able to trust somebody who would do such a thing? How about if one of the kids in the class or soccer team you teach got hold of it - do you think the parents would like that?

Just because in your particular position in your particular culture it wouldn't be a problem doesn't mean somebody else is a prude because they see it as a problem.

1. disgruntled yank

Re: You may not care, but others might.

Wait a minute--granny's Bible study sessions are reviewing pictures of naked Singoperean men and not the Book of Kings? Sly old cougars...

But yes, I take your point. Blackmail is blackmail.

2. Cameron Colley
        Headmaster

Re: You may not care, but others might.

I will not type "whose" instead of "who's" again.

2. Brangdon
      Unhappy

They'd only show your half of the conversation, and say you thought you were video chatting to a 14-year-old girl at the time. That's all it would take to get you pilloried by the internet as a paedophile.

7. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    FAIL

So, the jist of the problem is...

A total stranger messages you, then strips off and tells you to do the same etc etc.

I would like to remind the world of the twin sayings - 'A fool and his money are soon parted' and 'Nonsense is so good only because common sense is so limited'.

and let me append

WELL. DUH.

1. Eddy Ito

Re: So, the jist of the problem is...

"A fool and his money are soon parted"

Wait, what's that?! Here in taxing California I thought it was 'A fool and your money are soon partners'.

Works both ways I suppose, I've been telling myself for years I was a fool to move here.

2. Brangdon
      Angel

Re: So, the jist of the problem is...

I expect she'd chat with you for a few days first, so she wouldn't be a stranger by the time you got naked.

People have relationships online. Cybersex sometimes include video. Sometimes the fool is the one who is unable to trust.

8. I Am Spartacus

Do we believe this?

That they scammed a student out of $95K?

Its false - no student has that sort of money.

1. sabba
      Headmaster

Re: Do we believe this?

You don't know his circumstances. Maybe he is from a very affluent family or perhaps he perpetrated a crime to obtain the funds. Personally I can't ever see a circumstance whereby I'd submit to blackmail - once you have subjugated yourself to their whims you only ever increase their leverage. Tell 'em to fuck themselves and then spend the 95k hunting 'em down and making sure they suffer, slowly!!

1. Fatman

Re: hunting 'em down and making sure they suffer, slowly!!

Agreed!

Slowly,

VERY, VERY slowly!!!

2. Patrick R
      Holmes

Re: Do we believe this?

More plausible than you really being Spartacus.

9. david 63
    Coat

Anyone want...

...to see my willy?

Thought not.

I'll put me coat back on.

10. Jamie Kitson

Typically, the women involved...

...are men.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"five strokes of the cane"

Pwoooooaaarrr!

Is that pay per view as well?

12. Shane8
    Joke

Anyone want to see my willy ?

13. bag o' spanners

Can't see the wood for the trees.

Is anyone really naive enough to think that exactly the same cam'n'scam games aren't being played on legions of desperate UK wankymen? Obvious lesson: If you're rubbing one off on cam, wear a David Cameron mask.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like