back to article Phone-bonker Bump tells desktop users: We swing both ways now

Bump, the utility for transferring files between phones with a tap, can now invite desktop computers into the bilateral relationship by bashing the space bar to swap data. To swap files with a PC it will need an open browser, but then you just select the file to be shared in either direction and transfer starts with a tap of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Antidisestablishmentarianist

Hmm

I remember seeing someone on the tube trying to 'bump' their phone and tablet. Lets just say it didn't work in several minutes I could bare watching. Embarrassing. I wonder if he ever got....

2. nigel 15

Phone-bonker Bump tells desktop users: We swing both ways now

The headline obscures the story. i mean puntastic headlines are great and everything. but they should really allude to the story.

3. P. Lee
    Joke

NFC + ad-hoc wifi as a replacement for bump?

Could it be the first known use for ad-hoc wifi?

1. Scott Wheeler
      Headmaster

Ad-hoc WiFi is used to offer a tethered 3G connection on iPhones - but that's the only use I can think of for it.

4. poohbear

Airdroid.

Airdroid. That is all.

1. frank ly
      Thumb Up

Re: Airdroid.

Oh yes. I transfer files between my phone and tablet using Airdroid and a direct WiFi connection. It just works, at about 72MB/s peak.

1. h3

Re: Airdroid.

What device have you that does 72MB/s wifi (My desktop only does 10MB/s (~100Mb/s)

1. frank ly

@h3 Re: Airdroid.

On second thoughts, it was probably 72Mb/s .... I just remember the 72M part.

I was using my Asus Transformer tablet as a WiFi hotspot with my Nexus 4 WiFi connected to it. I used Airdroid on the Nexus 4 and the browser on the Asus tablet (easier than using a browser on a phone). The phone and tablet were a few inches away from each other. The 72M[B-b]/s figure was the one that caught my eye and it was wobbling around a bit but stayed there for a while. I transferred an 80MB file. It was very fast compared to FTP transfer via the domestic router.

This was direct WiFi between two adjacent devices. No router and no internet based host to slow things down.

5. h3

I use wifi file explorer pro (Seems to work and it was a free amazon app never saw the need to look elsewhere).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like