back to article Facebook devs HACKED in 'sophisticated' Java zero-day attack

Facebook has been hacked, but the company has found no evidence that user data was affected. Facebook's systems were "targeted in a sophisticated attack" in January after some of the company's developers visited a mobile-developer website that had been compromised, the company wrote on Friday afternoon. Malware was installed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. FrankAlphaXII
    WTF?

Forensive Examination?

What's a "forensive examination"? Forensic yes. Intensive possibly. Intensively Forensic most likely. However what a forensive examination is escapes me.

Maybe its some kind of stupid new Facebook buzzword perhaps?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Forensive Examination?

I've no idea what 'forensive' is but it probably turned-up nothing because the laptops had already been 'remediated'.

2. aaronj2906_01
      FAIL

Yep...

Kind of like them turning the NOUN "friend" into a VERB...

Hmmm. "Befriend" anyone lately?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Where do they use the noun friend as a verb, out of curiosity?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rory Cellan-Jones++

Whatever Andrew Orlowski might have to say about Rory Cellan-Jones, he's no worse than LBC radio in London, who have just reported on their news bulletin that Facebook has been infected by a new virus called "Zero Day"...

1. Euripides Pants
      Coat

Re: Zero Day

Isn't that a WWII Japanese fighter game?

1. gollux
        Mushroom

Re: Zero Day

Based on "Tora, Tora, Tora", involves a lot of Mitsubishi A6Ms swarming your battleship to draw off the fire from the low flying Aichi D3As delivering torpedos for the kill.

3. Khaptain Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

Social Engineering, Company Laptops and Governments

I can imagine that attacking Facebook through its public interfaces is not a great idea.

However, targeting company laptops of specific employees is probably a far better idea, most notably for Governments and other Industrial Spies. It's just a matter of selecting the appropriate employees.

4. bigfoot780

uninstall java

Uninstall Java across all facebook computers?

5. mwcer
    Happy

mobile-developer web site?

Why didn't Facebook identify the site they claim they picked up the malware from? Unless of course "mobile-developer" is a cover name for something else...

6. BillG
    Happy

Not Fair

Malware isn't allowed to compromise Facebook user data.

Only Facebook is allowed to do that.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Ha Ha - Ha Ha - Ha Ha

The people who run Facebook are just getting SO desperate..

So are people hacking them out of spite or greed or both?

LOL

All I can say is too bad that Siberian meteor, didn't come down vertically on the Facebook HQ.

Could have called it Face Plant.

8. mike acker

"sophisticated" ? lol

every hack report i see claims the attack was "sophisticated" . and then I find out it was via some crappy old bug the hackers use all the time .

9. Peter 39

Uninstall Java ?

Uninstall Java ?

Better solution would be to uninstall Windows.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Uninstall Java ?

But it was a MacBook!

1. NomNomNom

Why was Windows installed on a MacBook?! That's mental! no wonder they are catching viruses if they are cross contaminating their software and hardware like that.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Windows wasnt installed. This was OS-X Malware.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting...

When Sony got hacked and had no proof of what, if anything got accesed, they were advised to assume the worst, and the media tore them apart.

When Facebook for hacked, they assumed the best, and the media are all forgiving of it.

The media are pretty irresponsible, Sony didn't really do that much wrong, they stored their credicard details fully encrypted, they stored passwords are salts, and the only things stored in plain text were user's personal info like Name/Address. That's no difference to every other company on the planet....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Interesting...

Barry??

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like