back to article Raspberry Pi grows an eye

The Raspberry Pi Foundation has released photos of a forthcoming camera module for the popular single-board computer. The Foundation has helpfully offered no specs whatsoever for the camera, but the model pictured below is etched with the text “P5V04A SUNNY”. The forthcoming camera module for the Raspberry Pi The camera …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ragsyboy

test with spaces and @#£%&? 456

Body test @#£%&*-+()?/;:'"! 456

1. Muhammad Imran/mi1400
      Headmaster

Re: test with spaces and @#£%&? 456

can anyone plz advice which camera brands are fastest to work with fpgas, xilinx, altera, arduino !?! .. i dont need frame rate .. i need least latency of captured image to be accessable on PCB. i m thinking around within 10-millisecond or lesser... from sensor to doorstep of chips mounted on PCB.

thanks.

2. Prof Denzil Dexter

Eye Spy with My Raspberry Pi

how good a deal is $25? i'll probably get one anyway, but when the pi itself is £25, is this steep? (i've no idea)

1. Sureo
      Happy

Re: Eye Spy with My Raspberry Pi

Don't you know, the PI itself is the loss leader. Buying a case, HDMI cable, power supply, USB hub, SD card etc. sets you back far more. I just had to have a mini-keyboard to go with my PI. Still compared with a full computer system it's cheap and much more fun.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

Re: Don't you know, the PI itself is the loss leader

Actually, according to a recent interview, Eben Upton said that everyone in the supply chain is making a profit. I assume that the distributors also take a small/tiny cut. Granted, like you said, they are using the Pi to entice you to buy items they're making more profit on, but technically it's not a loss leader if they don't make losses on the Pis.

2. Tom 7

I don't know but my USB camera and microphone cost about £3 and theoretically would work with the Pi

1. Dr. Mouse

"my USB camera and microphone cost about £3 and theoretically would work"

Not as well, though.

The camera module connects to the CSI2 connector on the Pi, which allows images/video to go straight into the GPU, be processed, then spat out to either the display or into userland. With your USB webcam, even forgetting the terrible inefficiencies of USB, to get the same functionality you need a userland programme to pull data from the webcam and put it into the GPU (whether to display it or to process it).

2. Nick Smith

The Pi is quite fussy about what webcam it will work with (see http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals#USB_Webcams), so it probably won't work. As posted before, the performance you get with a usb webcam is woeful (think 3fps), so this new camera module is a god-send (for those wanting to create camera-based projects)

3. pklong
    Flame

Lets hope they don't use RS as a distributor!

Loads of problems with RS in the Raspberry Pi forums. They really should have got their act together by now!

4. DanBowmanLeBeau
    FAIL

A Little research goes a long way

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=32605

Instead of guessing from the pictures you could have looked at the forums for the real specs..........

5. Christian Berger

How long till it works with the built-in video encoding?

That might be interesting, particularly when you can stream video with it.

1. James Hughes 1

Re: How long till it works with the built-in video encoding?

It already works. Been testing with encoding straight to H264 at 1080p30.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like