back to article Review: Seagate Wireless Plus Wi-Fi hard drive

In the week Apple finally released an iPad with a storage capacity greater than 64GB - double that; 128GB to be precise - Seagate made its Wireless Plus available. Of course, if Apple’s Flash mark-up wasn’t so colossal, or it had had the wit to either built a Micro SD port into its tablets or allow USB mass storage devices to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. mmeier

To bad it is spinning metal

Somethink like that with a SSD in the 128-256GB range and I will buy. Even at a price in the 2xx range. Might still be tempted with this one, shove it in the notebook bag, switch on when needed, connect. Since MY mobile OS speaks NTFS fluently it is even formatted right...

2. Efros
    Thumb Up

Pretty Good

I've had one of these for about a month and overall it's pretty good. Only major issues I've found are similar to those in the review. The apps are a bit clunky, streaming is good for the most common filetypes and non existent for others, MKV and OGG files for example. Access from Android is better via a browser than the app, My only other major gripe is that you can't save network config details when you use it as a bridge. One other major oversight is that there is no manual on the drive or in the box and only after contacting support did I get a link to the pdf. This is the link http://ow.ly/h9tMH .

3. Adam 1

are you serious?

Did a tech review on el reg really just suggest that "a better solution still would be simply to ship the thing formatted to Fat 32".

Sure compatibility is a consideration, but the difference between FAT32 and NTFS goes a bit deeper than 4GB files.

4. Blitterbug
    Unhappy

Sounds bloody awful

My experiences with Seagate GoFlex are not happy ones; when shopping for a home NAS I invested in 2 3TB jobbies which only after connecting them up did I find they present duplicate IDs to the network and despite being able to connect 'em one by one and change their IPs, you still couldn't use both together. Utter shite.

Went and bought 2 4TB Iomega Storecentres - luvvly. I stream films & TV to my iPad (using FileExplorer) and to my Nexus 7 (with ES FileExplorer + DicePlayer) and it's pretty much nerd heaven. But also used by wife & kids equally easily.

This pile o' shite with its 'Media Center' bollox just sounds so painful. Never again.

5. Gordon861

Write to it?

These units all seem to be read only.

What I really want is a unit like this that can be left in my bag/car that I can write to with a wi-fi SDcard from my camera when it's in range.

1. Efros

Re: Write to it?

You can sort of do that if you have an SD Wi-Fi card, Eye-Fi I think are the only sellers at the moment. I managed to upload to photobucket via the Seagate, the saving to the Seagate had to be done via a linked laptop.

2. SeagateJP

Re: Write to it?

Yes, you can! Wireless Plus is not read-only — you can write to the Wireless Plus from your tablet or phone. It's a fun and easy process in the Seagate Media app: choose the device from which you want to move files (your tablet), choose Options, select the file(s) you want to move, then choose Upload (the universal "Share" icon).

For iOS: http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/005092en

For Android: http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/005091en

I hope this helps,

JP, from Seagate

(... note, I may not be here to answer further questions. I just wandered by and saw the question! For regular support please check with us on Twitter @AskSeagate, or on Facebook.com/SeagateSupport, or at http://www.seagate.com/about/contact-us/technical-support/ )

6. Martin
    Thumb Up

The old Satellite is also pretty good...

And I got mine from Amazon US a couple of months ago for US$99. Even after the shipping and VAT to the UK, it was still a bargain!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like