back to article DropBox seeks to woo IT admins with team data controls

Dropbox is changing its cloud storage service to reassure IT administrators that they can control their users and not have sensitive information taking wing out of their corporate servers. Last November the company claimed it had 100 million users, and that 95 per cent of Fortune 500 companies have at least one Dropbox user. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jim McDonald
    Happy

Dropbox is great, but at those 'team' prices it doesn't look so attractive... the price would soon stack up.

Open Source alternatives, such as ownCloud, look attractive now they have caught up in the feature/stability department.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Ktsecful
    Thumb Down

This is the company that only a few months ago let people log in to any user's account without a password, as long as they knew the userid?

Yeah? No thanks.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Encryption

have you heard of it?

1. Ktsecful

Re: Encryption

Encryption is obviously best practice, but other things being equal, why go for a company that has a track record of allowing your files (encrypted or otherwise) to be exposed.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Question mark

As you chose to omit the question mark, which is used to denote a question, your sentence is a statement. A statement, the meaning of which is exactly the opposite of what you intended to convey.

Well done.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Uhm...

Sounds quite a bit expensive. Granted; you get 1TB storage and an additional 200Gb for every new team member but something tells me that this isn't as feasible as they make it out to be. Because apart from the storage itself you'll also need ease of access. And while 1TB sounds awesome; are 5 people actually going to manage and use all that ?

$795/year divided by 5 people makes E 159,- per person per year, so approx. E 13,25 per person per month.

For $1,- more per month you could consider Office 365. Not merely storage (25Gb e-mail storage per user) but also an hosted website, online office apps. conferencing tools, options to seemingly store your Office desktop apps there and of course entitlement to Microsoft support.

But Microsoft isn't alone here; Google's enterprise apps. go as low as $ 10/month per user. Also 25Gb e-mail storage yet "only" 5Gb app. storage, so lets raise that to 25Gb as well (for an additional $4/month thus also going onto $14,-/month). Your own e-mail address, video chat, conferencing and document editing (which is also quite good, I speak from personal experience) as well as full support.

So apart from approx. 25Gb storage for your data both company plans also include extra business services and features such as video conferencing, easy office integration and also important: e-mail.

As mentioned earlier; 1Tb sounds awesome. But ask yourself just how much of that amount you're going to use (don't forget upload and possible download limitations) and if its only storage you need?

And that's not even mentioning their somewhat odd reputation, as mentioned by others. In this case I'd say you're better off with either Google or Microsoft.

4. frank ly

Drop Dropbox for Box

Box have recently upgraded my 5GB freebie personal account to 50GB. I asked them if this was a promotion that would expire and they told me that it's permanent. The Box PC sync application was also made available to me (it was previously paying clients only, I think) and I can choose which folders and sub-folders are synced to my PC.

As might be expected, they have apps for Android etc. and I use the third-party Folder Sync (paid version) to synchronise one of my Box folders to an Android folder.

I've no idea how well they perform compared to Dropbox or if their T&Cs are 'good', but for personal use they are worth looking at.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like