back to article The Register Guide to Windows Server 2012

Reg stalwarts Trevor Pott and Liam Proven had teamed up to write The Register Guide to Windows Server 2012 - it is fab and it is free,* and it is well worth a read. The authors deliver a great overview of WS2012 and its place in today's IT environment. Windows Server 2012 is the server version's first big update for four-and-a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lee Dowling Silver badge

Sigh

Given that I'm in the middle of downloading my Server 2012 disk images at the moment for a deployment later this year, I thought there might be something handy in there.

Even installed an ePub reader so I could look at it. It's a booklet, not a book (don't know the page size but it's barely "A6" from the look of it's Ladybird-book-size font), and it's pretty useless. Hell, the Wikipedia article is more useful.

Before you download, ask yourself if you really want an A6 pamphlet on how great Server 2012 is without any useful information, that looks like the sort of thing Microsoft would give out to people who've never touched a server in their lives.

2. ColonelClaw

In your opinion

What would be the best ereader software to use on a windows PC, from everyone's experience?

1. Lee Dowling Silver badge

Re: In your opinion

Calibre works pretty well as both an e-reader and as a ebook manager (for converting and sending stuff to a real device like a Kindle, etc.)

But, don't bother with this ebook.

1. ColonelClaw

Re: In your opinion

Thanks. In the meantime I found this, which seems to work. I'll go grab calibre now

http://fbreader.org/

3. yossarianuk
    Linux

calibre : http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/06/is-calibre-the-vlc-of-ebook-reader-software

4. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

Humbug

"It is as big a leap over 2008 R2 as 2008 R2 was over 2003."

Opinions differ of course, but still using 2k3 and 2k8 myself I completely disagree with this. Because 2012 is basically nothing more but a continuance of already existing technology. Just take a look at the official featurelist yourself.

The main difference though is that it uses different jargon; where 2k8 provides Hyper-V 2k12 provides "cloud capabilities". But with everything else, see the official website yourself, you'll notice that its merely extending on the possibilities which 2k8 already has.

Server 2008 introduced PowerShell as well as the server core component for desktop-less installations. THAT was a major change, you're not seriously insinuating that the inclusion of that dinkey toy interface on 2k12 is as revolutionary as PowerShell ?

5. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

Step 1 for Windows 2012 deployment:

gouge out your eyes. You don't need them with 2012 anyway - either you install the no-gui version that's just a command line with a bunch of PowerShell scripts, or you install the no-gui version that includes the WIndows 8 desktop. Neither gives you a proper Windows server desktop, imho. I spent last week being bullied around by the Win2012 desktop on my first 2012 test server. What a wonderful load of shit. It's not bad enough that we sysadmins sometimes HAVE to run Windows servers for various things, but now we also have to use that god-awful turd-spurt of a "desktop" that Microsoft put in Win8. Thank the FSM for Classic Shell.

There, I feel better now. Thanks. Going to go fire up ConsoleOne and remember how a real PC-Server OS is administered. ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Step 1 for Windows 2012 deployment:

@Pirate Dave - You say that you don't get a proper desktop if you install the GUI and then say that you've been using it on a test server.

You do get a proper desktop, what you need to do is press the button marked "Desktop" on the metro interface. It's even easier on the server because there are so few tiles there to choose from.

1. Pirate Dave Silver badge
        Pirate

I think you missed my humor...

Besides which, there is no button marked "Desktop". There is a Recycle bin, and quick-launch icons for Server Manager, Powershell, and WIndows Explorer. Anything further requires divining just which spot to hover my mouse over, because a Start button (like we've had for 18 years now) is just too god-damned ugly or difficult for Microsoft to include anymore. So we're supposed to pretend our 16-core HP DL380G8 is a fucking 10" tablet. The thing weighs 70+ pounds, it's NOT a fucking tablet, it is a server. But not in Microsoft-land. No, in Microsoft-land, it's the same as every other piece of equipment - tablet, PC, Server, phone. Users have apparently fallen to such a low level of intelligence (even the certified professionals) that they can't be bothered with complicated things like nested menus or on-screen visual cues as to where such menus might be found, Instead these poor, dumb bastards are given a mostly blank screen where they have to ferret out the magic spots to hover, or breakdown and finally learn to use the Windows key. And if they never figure out where these magic spots are, well, hey, at least they can't break anything.

Sorry I'm venting, but I'm going to spend the next 5-6 years of my life adminning the system I'm building now, and I fucking HATE the Windows 8/2012 interface.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

RetroUI, Classic Shell, Start8...

6. Dave 126 Silver badge

FFS Eadon, the documenting of Linux server solutions is catered for by the Linux community. If you found some good concise guides, and simply posted the links here with a brief explanation - no one would complain and you wouldn't look like such a spanner. You might even bring someone around to your point of view. .

I would note that the documentation for many Linux applications is unwelcoming for the casual user; we don't always want a sodding Wiki outlining the latest version changes, we want to know what it is and how to use it.

The opposing attitudes of "I'm better because I use Linux" and "Everyone should use Linux" don't sit well together. You'd do well to resolve this conflict in your head before commenting here, because you are detrimental to the OSS movement.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is Eadon really Steve Ballmer?

Might he be attempting to get everybody to hate all things Linux/*NIX by being so ... Ballmeresque??

PS It's not working on me ... I think he's even funnier that amanfrommars

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eadon, you are correct for once...

... in saying that you are not popular. About the other stuff: please shut up unless you back up all your claims with serious sources. And tell us what you do in real life.

For the record: I run things for about 600 users in 2 continents. We're mostly a Microsoft shop, but have a couple of Debian instances running and iSeries. We're really trying to wean of users off the Apple tit for tablets/smartphones. Not for Android mind you (tried that, helldesk calls went through the roof, my users hate it), but for WP8 (20 rolled out, users are unanimously positive) and W8 tablets (there are a couple of HP elitepads for testing on my desk right now. As for WS 2012 : 2 running in test, haven't logged on to the GUI once. This is my "real world". Granted you could say my users are stupid. But aren't they all ?

I personally use Win8 and

OSX, since I'm a keyboard kinda guy the GUI on Win8 doesn't bother me in the least.

9. SirDigalot

I will argue

That having to rely on a 3rd party interface for initial familiar functionality is not ideal, and you can argue somewhat that also relaying on these third party programmes may in some circumstances constitute an additional target for a security hole on the server ( I did say may)

after using 8 as the desktop operating system that we are rolling out and now are moving our servers to 2012 I am not a fan of the 2012/8 interface, but am getting used to it, I have learned that in RDC I make sure the windows key inputs are sent o the system then I can use the usual shortcuts I use on my desktop ( as long as the window is in focus!)

in vcenter console 2012 is more responsive the 08/08r2 but we rarely use that.

I look forward to taking (yet more) cert tests in 2012 because my head is not full enough of fluff from existing installations of 08.

I do not mind the challenges and the joys of living on the bleeding edge, it is the pot of lemon juice and salt used to heal the wounds I take exception to!

This topic is closed for new posts.