back to article Barrall, beam me up: 'Private cloud' biz builds Transporter device

Data Robotics (Drobo) and BlueArc founder Geoff Barrall's new small biz Connected Data has revealed itself after gaining $6m in A-round funding and cash from a Kickstarter launch. Connected Data's product is the Transporter, a 2.5-inch disk in a small conical desktop package, which copies files to other Transporters in a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

interesting

So, I like the simplicity but the two bits that would make me nervous are (a) you need to make a hole in your firewall for the peer-to-peer bit to work, and (b) it still does need central control via the supplier. If you really do want a setup that has no supplier involvement then you have to deal with (a) but if the supplier dissappears one day then (b) is still a problem. Well, I suppose you still have the files on each of the Transporters but you'll have lost at least some (if not all) of their interconnectedness. Although I guess they could let you remove that risk by selling the command and control software too so that you could host that yourself if you really wanted.

1. Tom Chiverton 1

Re: interesting

Why do you need to make a whole for it ? NAT-Punching works well for Skype etc., even if your gateway doesn't talk uPnP.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The magic word "US"..

.. is enough to ensure anyone outside the US won't touch it with their valuable information ..

3. PassiveSmoking
    Happy

Do a Barrall roll!

Someone had to say it

This topic is closed for new posts.