back to article Paranoid partners to get GPS snooper

If you’re suspicious about the missus’ daily movements or wonder exactly which 'old friend' your hubby is meeting for dinner, then you’ll be glad that a GPS gadget’s been made available to help you track their movements. Blip_snitch Blip's Snitch: track people online and via SMS The GPS Snitch, from manufacturer Blip, is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Morely Dotes
    Dead Vulture

Uhhhhh... Huh?

"But what price can you really put on piece of mind?"

Since there's always someone willing to give me a piece of his mind for free (and unsolicited), I'd say "piece of mind" is definitely worth far less than $400.

2. Dan Hardiker
    Thumb Down

You're already doomed

If you have to resort to this, then you're in a failed relationship. Even if you find out your other half isn't getting their end away elsewhere, you have serious trust issues which need resolving.

Taking a different tact: most of the readers of El Reg are against the powers that be monitoring us, so unless we're hypocrites, we're hardly going to condone the covert surveillance of our loved ones by those that are supposed to trust them!

3. Glenn Gilbert

Brilliant - great for tracking theves!

I wish I had one of these in my laptop bag when it was 'lost' recently.

It will be brilliant to track walkers/climbers/sailors.

There's loads of possibilities for this technology, not all surreptitious.

4. Andy Barber
    Thumb Down

Only seven day battery life...

... & at £4p/m. It's not very practicable is it?

5. Caspian Prince

Brilliant!

I'll just stick one in me bike then if some toerag tries to half-inch it I'll be able to wait till it's stopped moving and turn up with a van full of very angry bikers and some cricket bats.

6. AGirlFromVenus

This'll be fun

What's the small print then about DPA? It's not out fault about anything blah blah blah

7. John
    Coat

Agreed.

Googling "piece of mind", the top hit was just as I suspected - A link to the Wikipedia entry on Iron Maiden's 4th studio album of the same name. As for a price? Well, I doubt I'd go much higher than about $25 depending on the condition.

8. Robert Moore
    Thumb Down

If you don't

trust your other half, enough that you need this product.

Just leave.

9. Andy Hards
    Paris Hilton

I'll sell you a bit of mine...

It'll cost you far less (depending on what bit you want, of course). Some bits might be illegal in some states and might get you a stay in Gitmo but only cos I think Bush is a kahnt. You're welcome to make me an offer though.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Waste

What a total utter waste of technology.

Far better installing this in your car so you know when its been nicked by our ever expanding society of miscreants.

11. J
    Alien

Piece of Mind

I already have that CD, so no, thank you. Alien kinda looks like Eddie if you squint...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's new about this?

These devices have been around for ages, what's new about this? Make some software for her N95 or something, at least you know she will keep it charged and running all the time for you :p

@Glenn Gilbert

And where is the mobile signal to relay the position of these sailors? and possibly climbers/walkers depending on the area?

13. heystoopid
    Coat

hmmm

Hmmm , just the thing for all gougers and gold diggers for the extra cash !

Sadly though , since you can do the same thing with the common garden variety of mobile phone that every man , child and dog is carrying , why would you bother ?

14. Franklin

Or, here's another idea...

Get involved with partners you can trust, and save the $400.

15. skeptical i

cheaper than a PI

If one is concerned enough about spousal extra- curricular activities to even consider this (the sad reality is that some divorces can be profitable, especially in states with community property laws), perhaps the GPS is cheaper than hiring a private investigator to trail the suspected cheater. As for tracking a stolen vehicle, I believe a product called the "LoJack" is similar and possibly cheaper.

16. Neil

Stolen Vehicles?

Why not buy a proper, installed, dedicated GPS tracking device for your car instead. Kind of like the ones I've been working with for the past 7 years... This is just exactly the same thing shrunk down a bit with an internal battery. Not really new.

17. David Shepherd
    Happy

and for the UK track your dog

Given prices quoted in $ I assume this is for the US market. However there was an item on the R4 Today program this morning about a similar device ... set perimiter zone and get sent text messages if subject leaves zone ... only difference was that in the UK its aimed at tracking pet dogs! Discuss ....

18. Andy

Perfect for thieves mk. II

Of course, if the tracking site is hacked it will be great for thieves to know you aren't at home.

19. This post has been deleted by its author

20. dodge
    Stop

But will it work?

GPS devices need to be able to receive the radio signals from the satellite... if this device is inside a handbag under the seat of a car, will it work? Inside a steel-reinforced building?

The tracking might be a bit...spotty...

21. andy
    Paris Hilton

andy

What a great idea - the perfect birthday gift for stalkers and bunny boilers everywhere.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like