back to article Facebook glitch briefly crashes several sites

Facebook Connect, the single sign-on tool Facebook uses to allow its accounts to serve as logins to other online services, has experienced a glitch that froze users out of many popular websites and sent them to an error message. The incident took place in the very early hours of 8 February, GMT, and saw Facebook Connect users …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Winkypop Silver badge
    Trollface

Sorry

You lost me at "Facebook"...

2. Nate Amsden

Jan 8?

or Feb 8? seems strange to report on an outage that happened a month ago

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Jan 8?

Most likely Feb 8.

C.

3. Khaptain Silver badge

Why is that a problem ?

Facebook could go down for 3 months and honestly I think it would be a good thing. People might actually interact on a normal level.

Define Normal: The capacity to talk and dialogue usings ones mental and vocal capacities whilst standing fae to face with someone else. The removal of the requirement to dictate to world et al every living moment of the day. The termination of the publicaiton of ones biography in real time to an audience that simply doesn't really care......

1. Elmer Phud

Re: Why is that a problem ?

It's not Facebook going down though is it?

Just the bits that try to encourage you to have a single username based on your Facebook I.D.

Not that I use that service due to occasional reports of various social media servers getting unannounced visitors.

Jeez, you'd think Facebook were trying to emulate Google.

4. theopriestley

http://successfulworkplace.com/2013/02/07/what-if-facebook-was-the-internet/

So many depend on Facebook authentication for login, commenting, posting, marketing.....where does it end ?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"it seems not to have caused problems other than making it hard to reach some web pages for a few minutes"

What is this craze, you must have a FB login to access other sites?

WTF?

Don't they realise the 1,000,000's don't want a FB login?

Their loss, not mine.

1. Kobus Botes
      FAIL

...FB login to access other sites?

Yup, unfortunately.

I have had a run-in with Media24 some time ago, as the only means of posting or reading comments on their articles is to log on with your FB account. I was told it is a security feature, as an e-mail account is no proof of identity. They never answered me (apart from stating that it was policy) when I pointed out that I could use exactly the same "insecure" (GMail) address to create an FB account and then post comments.

I received a number of these messages this morning before the issue was resolved some time later:

http://www.news24.com/Error.aspx?aspxerrorpath=/Templates/Categories/CategoryHomeDemo.aspx

<--- For all those websites crippled by Facebook.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
        Mushroom

FB logon for SECURITY reasons ?

For crying out loud, please, let's call it what it is, shall we ? Laziness. That's all it is.

Does Facebook require proof of identity to create an account ? No. Does it require proof of residence ? No. Creating an account with FB just requires an email address, that's all. So the "security" excuse goes flying out the window real fast, accompanied by my contempt for such a lame excuse. This is pure CYA/pass-the-buck marketspeak, perfectly befitting the company name..

You want to rely on some other entity for reasons of security, you create an infrastructure with banks. To open a bank account you have to prove you're you and prove where you live, ergo the bank bloody well knows you're you. From that point, if the bank would certify your online identity, there could be no doubt that you are indeed you.

But that requires a bit more work than a fucking Like button.

1. Kobus Botes

Re: FB logon for SECURITY reasons ?

Exactly.

2. Elmer Phud

Re: ...FB login to access other sites?

" log on with your FB account. I was told it is a security feature, as an e-mail account is no proof of identity. "

Made oi larf!

My email username is far closer to the truth than my Facebook username.

Google won't let me use the Facebook one though so I might never be fully signed up to Google's services.

6. Andrew Jones 2

Sigh - it did not just affect pages that used Facebook to login.

It also affected any site that included ANY social plugin from Facebook - eg:

"Other pages people liked" or the box you stick on your page to invite people to become a fan of your page.

None of my sites use Facebook for logging in - but they were all affected because they either have the box to become a fan of the page on facebook or the box that shows what other pages on the site people like.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like